2013-14 OOT Thread

Daniel

Why are we still whining about Zach Parise like he's a god or something. This is ridiculous. Is it going to be 5 years down the road with us Devils fans, "Boy, we would have won the cup if we had Parise." He's gone because he wanted to go, and I don't ever think about him. The only redeeming quality he possesses that intrigues me to even remotely think about him is the fact that he is an American-born player who plays for my country in the Olympics. He's gone

I agree there is generally a large chorus of woe is us crowd complaining we lost players and yes it can get annoying, but 2 points in their defense:

1) the fact that we decided not to invest in zach hurts more in hindsight now that the guy we did decide to invest in abandoned us. In the end were probably better off cap wise without either of them, but it still stinks to now be empty handed.

2) parise was one of the top 5 forwards ever to play for the franchise. It's not like they're regretting losing Steve Sullivan here.

Again I don't like to harp on the loss of players and ifs and buts were candy and nuts and all, but it's not ridiculous to think about it, never mind make a brief joke or comment about it durimg a 3 day break of devils hockey.

Why are we still whining about Zach Parise like he's a god or something.  This is ridiculous.  Is it going to be 5 years down the road with us Devils fans, "Boy, we would have won the cup if we had Parise."  He's gone because he wanted to go, and I don't ever think about him.  The only redeeming quality he possesses that intrigues me to even remotely think about him is the fact that he is an American-born player who plays for my country in the Olympics.  He's gone

It was a joke.

is it the molson curse??? nah, just bad goaltending and defense

yeah i don't understand why they moved moulson for a slight upgrade at wing when they probably could have held on to him and used the same package closer to the deadline for a quality d man, or even goaltender like miller.

yeah i don't understand why they moved moulson for a slight upgrade at wing when they probably could have held on to him and used the same package closer to the deadline for a quality d man, or even goaltender like miller.

Because they make moves that keep then in a perpetual stage of rebuilding. It's really sad to see a once great franchise languish in obscurity for over 20 years.

So do I.  He absolutely stonewalled us earlier, then he sh!ts the bed tonight.

Pretty lousy playoff goalie too.  Was only really great in 2007-08.  Anywhere from bad to just OK otherwise.

Pretty lousy playoff goalie too.  Was only really great in 2007-08.  Anywhere from bad to just OK otherwise.

I'd be legitimately frightened of Pittsburgh if it wasn't for Fleury. If he has another bad Spring, they might be out goalie hunting or stop gapping for a year. I might want to lock up CS a year early if i were Lou. 

Edited by TheRedStorm

I'd be legitimately frightened of Pittsburgh if it wasn't for Fleury. If he has another bad Spring, they might be out goalie hunting or stop gapping for a year. I might want to lock up CS a year early if i were Lou. 

I thought they were destined for the SCF when they decided to go with Vokoun.  Vokoun made that team so much better.

Funny thing about that is the question we'd all like to see answered (Can Cory be the kind of goalie that can play 60+ games as a clearly-defined #1?) won't be...not this season, anyway.  Cory probably gets 45 starts, tops, and Marty's already survived two multiple-game stretches of poor play, and DeBoer clearly favors him, so Marty is going to have to really fall apart and Cory is going to have to play at the top of his game just to get to 45 starts or so.  So the big question is does Lou offer Cory a contract based on what he is, or what he thinks he can be?  We all think Cory can be a successful 60+ start-per-season guy, but we don't have proof of it yet.

re:  Fleury...yeah, one more bad spring and it will be interested to see what the Penguins do.  Even with his bad springs, he's been a pretty good and durable goalie for the Penguins for a while now...yeah, he is definitely propped up by playing for a top team, but guys who can stay healthy, make a lot of starts, and give you good play in the net aren't easy to find.  Sabermetric-minded types will tell you that Fleury's recent playoff follies all represent small samples, and will point to 2007-08 as fact that Fleury CAN get it done and raise his game when the stakes are higher.  My counter to that would be with some guys, once the failures become annual, does it start to mess with certain people's heads?  Fleury has now had four very weak postseasons in a row...does that weigh on his mind this postseason, and does he start feeling pressure that adversely affects his play?  Does a bad start or two to begin the postseason put him in "Here we go again!" mode?  Especially when he knows he's going to start hearing about it from the fans and reading about it and being asked questions about it?    

Odd Ranger stat:  everyone on the Rangers is either E or minus in plus/minus...except for Chad Kreider, who is somehow a +9.  Guess it's because he didn't play in the 9-2, 6-0, and 4-0 October Ranger blowout losses.  Still odd to see one guy so far away from his teammates in +/-. 

Funny thing about that is the question we'd all like to see answered (Can Cory be the kind of goalie that can play 60+ games as a clearly-defined #1?) won't be...not this season, anyway.  Cory probably gets 45 starts, tops, and Marty's already survived two multiple-game stretches of poor play, and DeBoer clearly favors him, so Marty is going to have to really fall apart and Cory is going to have to play at the top of his game just to get to 45 starts or so.  So the big question is does Lou offer Cory a contract based on what he is, or what he thinks he can be?  We all think Cory can be a successful 60+ start-per-season guy, but we don't have proof of it yet.

I really don't know how anyone can still think this.  DeBoer gave the starting job to Schneider earlier in the year, but unfortunately he got hurt for a few games, and then Marty started to play really well, but still, it was basically an even split.  He gave Schneider the net in the tougher game against the Penguins, but Schneider didn't hold up.  Schneider has also been the only one to start on back-to-back nights.  And I'll bet you that Schneider gets the start against Anaheim, and perhaps the night after if Schneider plays well enough. 

Otherwise, I think Lou does everything he can to lock up Schneider long term this offseason.  Probably something close to what Rask got, except that there won't be a no-trade clause, or perhaps a limited no-trade clause. 

It's probably the wrong thread for this, so we can pick this up somewhere else if need be.

Odd Ranger stat:  everyone on the Rangers is either E or minus in plus/minus...except for Chad Kreider, who is somehow a +9.  Guess it's because he didn't play in the 9-2, 6-0, and 4-0 October Ranger blowout losses.  Still odd to see one guy so far away from his teammates in +/-. 

Is Chad Kreider Chris' twin?  Just bustin balls...I know exactly who you were talking about and am not trying to get on you for it. 

Is Chad Kreider Chris' twin?  Just bustin balls...I know exactly who you were talking about and am not trying to get on you for it. 

Lmao, nice.  I didn't even realize I had done that!

They're six games into their 9-game homestand and are just 1-3-2 (one shootout win) through the first six games.  If they get out of it with a 4-3-2 record, then it won't be a complete disaster...but anything less has to be seen as extremely disappointing.  They're currently in an 11-out-of-12 @home stretch and have gone just 3-4-2 so far.  They were 13-13-0 going in...I'm sure the Rangers thought they'd be a few games over NHL .500 at least, by the end of it.  They might not even be that.