2013-14 OOT Thread

Daniel

Washington is a hot mess right now.  Must take advantage on Friday.

3-7-5 in their last 15 GP.  That's pretty bad for sure.  Been outscored 15-5 in their last four too.  They're probably due to break out for a win or two, but their schedule is brutal...they have a 5-game road trip coming up that starts on Friday, and they haven't been a good road team this season.  They also only have 14 regulation wins in 50 GP.

And the Leafs just refuse to fall apart, even though all of the numbers say that they should.  A 9-4 record in the shootout is helping their cause (as is a 2-1 OT record), but it's kind of a miracle they keep getting to shootouts in the first place.  Hard to believe they don't lose more games in regulation than they do.

3-7-5 in their last 15 GP.  That's pretty bad for sure.  Been outscored 15-5 in their last four too.  They're probably due to break out for a win or two, but their schedule is brutal...they have a 5-game road trip coming up that starts on Friday, and they haven't been a good road team this season.  They also only have 14 regulation wins in 50 GP.

Caps record early on was very much smoke and mirrors but as weird as it sounds their 5v5 play is trending in the right direction the past couple of weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if they turn it around fairly soon.

I'll be honest, don't know much about Klein.  Doesn't seem to bring much to the stat sheet, guessing he's a shutdown guy?

One of those deals that looks a little odd at quick glance...Klein is six years older, and yeah, doesn't wow on the stat sheet.  Guessing both GMs think the guy they're trading for will be a better fit for their respective teams.  Del Zotto was apparently in and out of Vigneault's doghouse most of the season, and had just been benched for a couple of games not too long ago, so I'm guessing he just wasn't meshing with AV's gameplan.  Nashville probably likes DZ's potential offensive upside...young defensemen who put up 41 points in any given season aren't that easy to find (though DZ clearly has holes in his game...there's a reason why he was available). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Kind of a nothing trade IMO... I guess Nashville gets the younger player with more potential and the rangers get a guy actually capable of playing defense, (albeit ideally as a 3rd pairing).

I don't see a real winner or loser here unless someone knows more about Klein than his stats and contract.

I'll be honest, don't know much about Klein.  Doesn't seem to bring much to the stat sheet, guessing he's a shutdown guy?

Pretty much.  But the Rags needed a RH dman.  That being said, they don't have any true offensive d-men.  But in the end, I think both teams ended up winning this.  If there's one team that can turn Del Zotto into a star, it's the Preds.

Nashville wins this one only if Del Zotto re-signs and reaches his potential as a top-4 offensive D-man (which is all very very very possible in Nashville, especially working under a guy Shea Weber).

If those things don't happen, even then the trade is a draw. Rangers don't "win" anything here, it just wreaks of them losing patience with a potentially good young player for whatever reason, and getting minimal return for him. They don't gain anything to address their needs by getting Klein.

My Rangers friends say there were probably some locker room issues, he liked to party and may have had a coke habit.

Good trade for NYR, Klein is terribly underrated. Rangers were not high on DZ and his trade value is low. They get a solid dman in return on a good contract. People saying its a bad trade has never watched Klein play.

I don't watch Klein play and I've said it looks to me an even trade but can you enlighten me as to klein's benefits- just going by the numbers the guy has been the worst dman on Nashville this year and it's not close. In my head I picture him as a mark fayne type... Is that far off?

Again I don't think the rangers necessarily lose the deal because delzotto was obviously gone and they get a rhd signed long term in case girardi goes.

Good trade for NYR, Klein is terribly underrated. Rangers were not high on DZ and his trade value is low. They get a solid dman in return on a good contract. People saying its a bad trade has never watched Klein play.

Ive watched Klein play a lot. Hes decent. Nothing more. Nothing the Rags couldnt have picked up on the waiver wire somewhere. Hes also 29, and DZ is 23 and a great skater.  

Nashville wins this one only if Del Zotto re-signs and reaches his potential as a top-4 offensive D-man (which is all very very very possible in Nashville, especially working under a guy Shea Weber).

If those things don't happen, even then the trade is a draw. Rangers don't "win" anything here, it just wreaks of them losing patience with a potentially good young player for whatever reason, and getting minimal return for him. They don't gain anything to address their needs by getting Klein.

My Rangers friends say there were probably some locker room issues, he liked to party and may have had a coke habit.

Well said. If he had a coke habit, well then...yeah lol

Edited by devlman