2013-14 OOT Thread

Daniel

Article about Gio's declining offensive abilities:

http://www.habsaddict.com/2013/02/are-brian-giontas-best-days-long-gone.html

I have a funny feeling he's coming back here this offseason...something like a two or three year deal. Hopefully not.

if he does come back it realistically can only happen if one of Brunner or Ryder is gone or jagr isn't re-signed. I don't think Lou is foolish enough to lose jagr and bring in gionta as his replacement.

Hypothetically, if we use Brunner or Ryder as a sweetener to a package deal to get a top line player, I would be fine bringing in gionta on a one or 2 year deal as the 3rd line rw.

And with Brian means more Stephen. If Pete's still here, we'll have a new version of the EGG line- Elias-Gionta-Gionta. I can't wait to bump this thread when it happens lmao.

Gionta is coming back...I'll put my Lou speak on: "Without question, Stephen is a player we wanted to re-sign. We have the utmost respect for everything he has accomplished in this organization from where he started, and there was never even a thought that he would not be coming back. Certainly, when you talk about the high character brother duos like the Pandolfos', the Parise's, the Zajacs...Stephen and Brian are right up there. There's no question, you don't replace the character of a Stephen Gionta on or off the ice, and we didn't want to try. Certainly, when you think of all the qualities you want in a son, you think of a Martin Brodeur....and then, well there's no then. I just wanted to mention Marty in here. But yes, without question, Stephen has some of those qualities as well, certainly.

Reporter: Since you brought up Brian, is there a chance that he might be reuniting with the organization and play with his brother?

Lou: No comment.

Not surprising. Marty's won a few in a row, and Cory's been shaky since the break.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Correction

1. Both Marty and Cory have been shaky since the break.
  2. The team and more specifically offense has gotten several wins in a row when Marty happened to be in net.
Edited by DJ Eco

annnnnnd Brodeur will start against the Flyers...... lol ohhhhh DeBoer.... you're one special puppy

:doh1:

So I guess that huge string of excellent hockey just never happened in DeBoers mind? A little hiccup and all of a sudden Cory is on the bench again?

Does he remember how pathetic Brodeur looked on the Semin goal? Or the stoppable Harrison goal he let go by? Or the stoppable goals he allowed to Detroit during the supposed farewell game. The fact that the Devils occasionally bail Marty out does not make him the deserving starter. Remember him sh!tting the bed against NYR, early in the season letting softy after softy go by and costing us points against Edmonton and Calgary.

Please Pete explain to me why Mr .898 is playing over Mr .918?

Edited by '7'

:doh1:

So I guess that huge string of excellent hockey just never happened in DeBoers mind? A little hiccup and all of a sudden Cory is on the bench again?

Does he remember how pathetic Brodeur looked on the Semin goal? Or the stoppable Harrison goal he let go by? Or the stoppable goals he allowed to Detroit during the supposed farewell game. The fact that the Devils occasionally bail Marty out does not make him the deserving starter. Remember him sh!tting the bed against NYR, early in the season letting softy after softy go by and costing us points against Edmonton and Calgary.

Please Pete explain to me why Mr .898 is playing over Mr .918?

Wins brah. Not a stats guy brah.

Wins brah. Not a stats guy brah.

Can you imagine Pete choosing his starter for game 7 of the world series.

Yes let's go with the 41 year old vet and his 16-9 record and 5.12 era. Run support? What's that. No that punk kid and his 9-9 record and 2.10 era can go fvck himself. not an ace!

It's clear, to me at least, that Lou's calling the shots now on this Brodeur/Schneider situation. Given what Marty's said in the past two weeks, I'm thinking DeBoer's just focusing his energy on offense while Lou's got the stranglehold on the goaltending situation. I don't think DeBoer's as bone-headed as you guys think he is, the Marty situation (and Lou's "like a son" comment) screams of a little something more than coach-related.

Edited by DJ Eco

All I know is that if they botch this season because they don't want to harm the ego of our flaky, crybaby washed up goaltender...then Lou, Deboer, and Marty should all be shown the door this offseason

Winning games is more important than hurt feelings. Lou used to realize this. I'm not sure he does anymore

Edited by '7'

All I know is that if they botch this season because they don't want to harm the ego of our flaky, crybaby washed up goaltender...then Lou, Deboer, and Marty should all be shown the door this offseason

Winning games is more important than hurt feelings. Lou used to realize this. I'm not sure he does anymore

The biggest issue with this whole season is that Brodeur has more wins. No one in the organization can get past this. If the goal support was swapped for the two, this entire goalie debate would be done with. Sadly/thankfully, Brodeur wins 4-3 and 5-4...a lot.

Now lets take this talk out of the one thread on this forum that isn't supposed to be about the Devils.

Edited by devilsrule33

I can understand this if Marty was actually playing well.  But in both of the games he's played, he's let in multiple stoppable goals.  2 of the 3 goals Detroit scored should have been stopped imo.  And 3 of the 4 against Carolina should have been stopped.  When Cory gave up 7, I can pin maybe 2 of those goals on him.

Not surprising. Marty's won a few in a row, and Cory's been shaky since the break.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

More like Marty happened to be in net when the Devils scored 6, 4, and 5 goals.  Not too hard to be the "winning" netminder with that kind of support. 

Anyway, Washington, Columbus, and Ottawa all in action tonight.  Columbus and Ottawa will be even-up in GP with the Devils after tonight, FWIW.

Correction

1. Both Marty and Cory have been shaky since the break.
  2. The team and more specifically offense has gotten several wins in a row when Marty happened to be in net.

More like Marty happened to be in net when the Devils scored 6, 4, and 5 goals.  Not too hard to be the "winning" netminder with that kind of support. 

Oh no trust me, I agree with you guys - there's no way Marty deserves the start tonight.  I want Cory in there as bad as you guys do, I just meant this isn't surprising with PDB as our coach.  He just chooses to ignore statistics and go with simple wins and losses.  Unfortunately, Marty's been gifted three wins, while Cory hasn't single-handedly won games since the break.

I think we all knew, deep down, after that Carolina game that Marty would be getting the Flyers.  Unfortunately.

i hope Rich Peverley is ok. Apparently he collapsed during the Stars game while on the bench. The game has been halted

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24477141/rich-peverley-collapses-on-bench-stars-blue-jackets-game-halted

The Dallas Stars and Columbus Blue Jackets game was called to a halt on Monday night after Stars forward Rich Peverley appeared to collapse on the bench during the game.

Peverley, who missed time early this season with an irregular heartbeat, was taken down the tunnel just a few minutes into the game by the Stars staff.

The PA announcer informed the crowd that Peverley was taken to the hospital and that he is conscious, which is about as good of news as one could hope for in this situation. Absolutely eery scene at American Airlines Center.

Here is video of the scene when game was halted. It's absolutely chilling, though is easier to watch knowing that Peverley was conscious on his way to the hospital

Pitt holds on to beat Washington 3-2 despite having the puck in their end for the last 5 minutes of the game.

We pass Washington with a win tomorrow

Also 3-0 Predators over Ottawa in the 3rd. Hopefully that holds