Urbom claimed off waivers by Washington then by Devils from WSH

Marshall

He hasn't even turned 21.  Larsson is 20 years old and 330 days old, or thereabouts.  The Devils have 7 defensemen on their roster, let's go down the list and see which ones of them were in the NHL at that age... Anton Volchenkov had played 38 games in the NHL at that age, that's a good start.  The rest of the Devils' D combined played.. hmm, looks like a big 0.  

Larsson is turning more physical every game, as he gets more confident that part of his game will progress.

Larsson is a bust, plain and simple. He can't skate and isn't physical. All he does is pass the puck 60 feet at a time.

I can't wait to continue this conversation in a year or 2.

LOL. Get real. If you think Larsson can't skate, I'd love to know what you call whatever it is Cam Janssen does when he's on ice.

And being able to pass the puck 60 feet is a pretty good attribute for a defenseman. Larsson's passing skills alone makes him better than Urbom.

Larsson is a bust, plain and simple. He can't skate and isn't physical. All he does is pass the puck 60 feet at a time.

I can't wait to continue this conversation in a year or 2.

How is Larsson, with 2 years of NHL experience putting up decent numbers, a bust at 20, yet Urbom, who hasn't been able to crack the NHL lineup without injuries and is 2 years older, is not a bust?

Larsson is a poor skater. He isn't gonna get much better than what you see now.   I guess we will see how Urbom does in Washington.  I look forward in seeing Gelinas and Merill up here soon.  I obviously hope the kid pans out, but from all the years of coaching and playing, I am confident in my assessment.

LOL. Get real. If you think Larsson can't skate, I'd love to know what you call whatever it is Cam Janssen does when he's on ice.

Hopping?

Last year they got Fucale (who could be a #1 goalie or an excellent backup) and Jacob de la Rose (who i really like too) with extra picks they got for moving players. (of course that's just an example of one situation through the league) but if mtl would have lost or let those guys walk and get claim off waivers cause they we're not in their plans anymore. Well thats 2 young players they would have never got.

They also gave McDonagh up for Gomez. IMO Montreal doesn't have much of a direction -- they throw sh!t on the wall and see if it sticks. Sometimes it does. The Devils have a direction. It may not always work, but they haven't gotten burned badly before, and they aren't now. 

Montreal's done a bit better at player moves since getting rid of the GM who made the above trade though.

That's fair, but judging Lou on 20+years of moves (10 since the big lockout) against someone who just got there isn't really fair. If you want to judge organizations, Devils win because of Lou.

• 3 months later...

He just turned 23. I could see the Flyers, Isles, or Sabre giving him a look. Not sure the Devs will claim him since I would guess they don't want to lose their waiver order spot in case they can clearance rack a forward. I say claim him anyway.

Edited by hystyk28

Bump for the laughs for all those who thought losing him was a big deal... Waived by Washington today.

He's a fringe nhler at best and looking back it's funny how many were pissed we lost him, now we have too many d that I doubt we claim him back!

I was never really impressed with him, even back when he played at the beginning of the 2010-11 season.

You're right as he is a fringe NHL player at best.  Hope he finds a spot someplace, but not here.

personally it was not about losing Urbom, it was about the whole ridiculous circus of roster mismanagement leading to losing yet another player/asset for nothing. I don't care that he doesnt pan out or wtv. No team is becoming better losing as much players/assets for nothing as we did in the last few years. We have too many D? flip it for equal forward help at AHL level at worst, we have NO depth.

personally it was not about losing Urbom, it was about the whole ridiculous circus of roster mismanagement leading to losing yet another player/asset for nothing. I don't care that he doesnt pan out or wtv. No team is becoming better losing as much players/assets for nothing as we did in the last few years. We have too many D? flip it for equal forward help at AHL level at worst, we have NO depth.

Exactly how many times are you going to repeat the same thing?  We get it.  There's nothing left on that horse to beat, and there's no grooves left on the record to skip.  Like Tri pointed out previously, Urbom had almost no trade value...he fell to 20th when exposed to waivers the first time, and passed through this time.  If Tedenby had gotten claimed by another team on his pass through waivers, you would've been bitching about how Lou lost him for nothing too.  You can't always get something for every player in your system, and no, you can't throw your arms up in the air and cry "Well then Lou should've moved him for something." 

• Like 1

Exactly how many times are you going to repeat the same thing?  We get it. There's nothing left on that horse to beat, and there's no grooves left on the record to skip.  Like Tri pointed out previously, Urbom had almost no trade value...he fell to 20th when exposed to waivers the first time, and passed through this time.  If Tedenby had gotten claimed by another team on his pass through waivers, you would've been bitching about how Lou lost him for nothing too.  You can't always get something for every player in your system, and no, you can't throw your arms up in the air and cry "Well then Lou should've moved him for something." 

Well based on dmann422's post he thought it was a big deal for me to lose "Urbom" which is not it. So i explained myself and a WHOLE LOT of people are on board with me saying the roster management is sh!t and guys are sitting and getting sent down while others shouldnt. This is what it was about. 

Plus not all teams had room to put a dman on their roster either at that specific time so its not that much of a good indication of his value

Edited by SterioDesign

Well based on dmann422's post he thought it was a big deal for me to lose "Urbom" which is not it. So i explained myself and a WHOLE LOT of people are on board with me saying the roster management is sh!t and guys are sitting and getting sent down while others shouldnt. This is what it was about. 

Plus not all teams had room to put a dman on their roster either at that specific time so its not that much of a good indication of his value

Teams are ALWAYS looking for young defensemen with upside...and Urbom would've cost them NOTHING.  As it is, one team in the Caps gave him a shot, and 20 games later (and after being benched and criticized in Game 20 back on 11/29...hadn't played for the Caps since), they were willing to let someone else take him off their hands for nothing.  No one bit.  So yeah, I think it's safe to say his value wasn't good then, and 20 NHL games did nothing to improve his value now. 

As far as the roster goes...I'm hoping the second half sees some shaking out and some filtering out.  Hovering around NHL .500 is not going to get this team into the playoffs.  

He was only just put on waivers today. We'll find out at noon tomorrow if he was claimed by anyone or not.

My mistake, guess we'll see then.

He just turned 23. I could see the Flyers, Isles, or Sabre giving him a look. Not sure the Devs will claim him since I would guess they don't want to lose their waiver order spot in case they can clearance rack a forward. I say claim him anyway.

None of them claimed him the last time when he was on waivers, I can't see any of them taking him now that his value's down even more.

Who else should have been sent down? He got passed on the depth chart by Gelinas and Merrill. There was no spot for him in NJ and clearly no one was interested in trading for a guy who couldn't crack our top 8.

Him being scratched 16 straight games for the likes of Oleksy and Orlov and being put of waivers twice in one season is a good indication of his value. I'm sure he'll be a great AHL hand, and maybe he'll sneak on to an NHL team eventually, but he's just not the kind of guy a team trades for.

you can try and criticize other "roster mismanagement" but the point is its clear that wasn't the case with urbom, unless you are a diehard Albany devils fan and are pissed you don't get to see urbom you have no reason to complain.

Eh, the people who criticize this are in The Cult of the New.  

The Cult Of The New have a few basic precepts:

A:  Young players are always better than old players

B:  Everyone's a prospect until they aren't

C:  Everyone who was once a top pick continues to be an intriguing NHL player until he turns about 32.  (exceptions:  players who actually get NHL ice time)

Urbom was a nice prospect but it didn't come together for him and it's not coming together for him in Washington, either.  He'll probably bounce around the league for a while and maybe things come together for him and he becomes a 20 minute a game defender, but it doesn't look likely at this juncture.

• Like 1

A: Young players are always better than old players

B: Everyone's a prospect until they aren't

C: Everyone who was once a top pick continues to be an intriguing NHL player until he turns about 32. (exceptions: players who actually get NHL ice time)

Urbom was a nice prospect but it didn't come together for him and it's not coming together for him in Washington, either. He'll probably bounce around the league for a while and maybe things come together for him and he becomes a 20 minute a game defender, but it doesn't look likely at this juncture.

I would add another one: All other teams would be extremely interested in parting with something of value (maybe even significant value) for any of our prospects that were rated above a 7.5C by Hockey's Future if only Lou weren't so stubborn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

A:  Young players are always better than old players

B:  Everyone's a prospect until they aren't

C:  Everyone who was once a top pick continues to be an intriguing NHL player until he turns about 32.  (exceptions:  players who actually get NHL ice time)

Urbom was a nice prospect but it didn't come together for him and it's not coming together for him in Washington, either.  He'll probably bounce around the league for a while and maybe things come together for him and he becomes a 20 minute a game defender, but it doesn't look likely at this juncture.

I would add another one: All other teams would be extremely interested in parting with something of value (maybe even significant value) for any of our prospects that were rated above a 7.5C by Hockey's Future if only Lou weren't so stubborn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well said.  Both of these posts are great.