Urbom claimed off waivers by Washington then by Devils from WSH

Marshall

I find it hysterical that all the Larsson supporters talk about how young he is but when you say the same thing about Urbom it is dismissed. I agree that Urbom has/had no trade value, but outside of a few players in the entire organization, no one has trade value. Even all the Boucher, Gelinas, Merrill fanboys would see very little in return right now for any of them. The Devils are not in a very good position asset wise.

I thought TG posted, citing some CBA clause, that the Devils could claim him and send him straight to the A. Outside of using a waiver claim, I don't see a downside to it. Let him grow in the A, where Larsson should be once healthy. Look at Andy Greene and how long it took him to get to his current level of play. People were crying over his contract signing and now he is very quietly a top tier shutdown Dman.

This team needs to address the offense either by trade or FA. Outside of Boucher, not much to write home about for O prospects. Developing a cheap D core and eliminating old players with bad contracts seems the only way to move forward in gaining some offense. The Devils are not a sexy destination for free agents and they are gonna have to overpay to land a sniper or 2.

Conte and company better get back to their drafting brilliance of years gone by because the recent drafting and the development of those picks have put this organization in a very bad spot.

Edited by hystyk28

I find it hysterical that all the Larsson supporters talk about how young he is but when you say the same thing about Urbom it is dismissed.

I thought TG posted, citing some CBA clause, that the Devils could claim him and send him straight to the A. Outside of using a waiver claim, I don't see a downside to it. Let him grow in the A, where Larsson should be once healthy. Look at Andy Greene and how long it took him to get to his current level of play. People were crying over his contract signing and now he is very quietly a top tier shutdown Dman.

Adam Larsson has played 127 regular season and playoff games and counting at age 21. Urbom has played 34 at age 23. Big difference. Larsson has shown he belongs in the NHL and Urbom hasn't been able to cement a spot on multiple opportunities. He is what he is at this point, a 6/7 D on a meh team/career AHLer if he doesn't go back to Europe.

I don't see the point in claiming him to send him to Albany. Even with Merrill and Gelinas up, Albany has 7 healthy D. Helgeson, Young, Burlon, Kelly, Hrabarenka, McPherson, and Scarlett. Out of that group only Young would be a candidate to go back to the ECHL. Plus I'm sure Gelinas and Merrill will get sent down to play during the Olympic break.

I'd honestly rather just pass on Urbom and keep the reserve list spot open since the Devils will have to sign some guys to ELC's at the end of the year.

I find it hysterical that all the Larsson supporters talk about how young he is but when you say the same thing about Urbom it is dismissed. I agree that Urbom has/had no trade value, but outside of a few players in the entire organization, no one has trade value. Even all the Boucher, Gelinas, Merrill fanboys would see very little in return right now for any of them. The Devils are not in a very good position asset wise.

This team needs to address the offense either by trade or FA. Outside of Boucher, not much to write home about for O prospects. Developing a cheap D core and eliminating old players with bad contracts seems the only way to move forward in gaining some offense. The Devils are not a sexy destination for free agents and they are gonna have to overpay to land a sniper or 2.

Conte and company better get back to their drafting brilliance of years gone by because the recent drafting and the development of those picks have put this organization in a very bad spot.

Good post and the first part is exactly what i was telling myself yesterday and so so true. The double standard here at times is ridiculous. We have guys in the lineup who plays on a regular basis who only made the NHL in their late 20s, still very serviable players. Why give up on guys who could end up like that.

but i understand that we the depth we have we have in albany we dont need him, still think even just a equal talent dman/forward AHL kind of swap could have worked

Edited by SterioDesign

Good post and the first part is exactly what i was telling myself yesterday and so so true. The double standard here at times is ridiculous. We have guys in the lineup who plays on a regular basis who only made the NHL in their late 20s, still very serviable players. Why give up on guys who could end up like that.

but i understand that we the depth we have we have in albany we dont need him, still think even just a equal talent dman/forward AHL kind of swap could have worked

The Cult Of The New have a few basic precepts:

A:  Young players are always better than old players

B:  Everyone's a prospect until they aren't

C:  Everyone who was once a top pick continues to be an intriguing NHL player until he turns about 32.  (exceptions:  players who actually get NHL ice time)

Urbom was a nice prospect but it didn't come together for him and it's not coming together for him in Washington, either.  He'll probably bounce around the league for a while and maybe things come together for him and he becomes a 20 minute a game defender, but it doesn't look likely at this juncture.

So let's keep Urbom until he's in his late 20s then, just in case. 

It's not "fanboys" who value Larsson so high compared to urbom, it's a combination of what unbiased people see and the general consensus around the league by scouts and most importantly, gms.

There is a reason urbom was skipped over by 20 teams before being claimed by Washington. You're telling me Calgary or Edmonton didn't want to pick him up for nothing?

When those teams pass on him, it tells you where his value is, and it's in a different stratosphere than larsson's. Age is not the only factor in determine value, there is well you know, those things called skill and ability.

How?  Why?  The Devils already had 15 forwards for the NHL roster at the beginning of the year - would they have gotten a 16th?  They don't need a defenseman - that's why they lost one to waivers.  As fiesty explained, NJ is set for D men even in Albany.  

The best move was to try to sneak Urbom through waivers and if he had gotten through then he's your property for another year and maybe he gets a shot with some injuries and ends up a toss-in to a trade.  Otherwise, sometimes you lose players when you have too many.  Nothing ventured here.

As for Urbom being picked up by Calgary or Edmonton, that wasn't possible - Washington nabbed him before that could happen.  Still, Edmonton didn't need an Urbom-level defenseman - they had too many D to begin the year.  They might take him now but I doubt it - I imagine Urbom will clear this time through.

Edited by Triumph

annnnnnnnnnnnnd NJ claimed Urbom back from WSH. lolz

Now you can go on some WashCaps site and complain about how Washington lost him for nothing. 

Now you can go on some WashCaps site and complain about how Washington lost him for nothing. 

Why would i do that? you're so obsessed with me youre gonna sign in and quote me on that website too, i have enough of you on this one alone

Edited by SterioDesign

Looks like Harry Young will be ECHL bound now. I really hope this doesn't push Hrabarenka back to the ECHL - he's been putting up some nice offensive numbers for the Devils.

I mean, Urbom isn't an NHL player, but he's close enough to NHL fringe that they have to be considering a trade at the NHL level.

Hey Mike first time, long time.  Just wanted to get your opinion on the Devils claiming Alex Urbom off waivers and sending Jacob Josefson to the IR? 

Waitaeckin...who claiming who and who? Dis waited on da line foah two howas folks, ok. Don't you have something bettah to do than make up names and pretend youah GM??