The Three Tests For Peter DeBoer

Triumph

doesnt kovy doing well in the SO prove how lucky the devils were in 11-12?

i think it was motivation spurred by big contracts and potential bankruptcy = chemistry =

luck = confidence;

too bad the luck ran out

The Devils were unlucky last year.  You don't dominate in puck possession like they did and not make the playoffs.  Well the Devils did just that.

The Devils were unlucky last year. You don't dominate in puck possession like they did and not make the playoffs. Well the Devils did just that.

i cant stand how everyone constantly blames the devils lack of success last year on "luck" they were more possesive over the puck then the other team the majority of the time.. possibly.. but you can take as many shots on the opposition as you want if your just slinging a bunch of sh!t crappy easy to stop shots at a goalie doesnt matter if you take 95 shots if theyre sucky slob lob shots theyre obviously not going to take a whole ton of effort to stop. That was why the team sucked at scoring. EXAMPLE: take clarkson was ripping as many shots as possible on net last year.. problem was none of them were going in because they were all sh!tty shots sh!tty unskilled shots that he was just throwing at the goaltender. and for his situation probably taking so many shots on goal to try to make himself more appealing on the market being his free agency he wanted to have higher numbers for shots on goal. Long story short.. i can take 300 shots on brodeur and im sure he could stop every single one of them.. doesnt mean i have no luck means i fvcking suck and dont have the skill to put one past him. Edited by Sik02gt

i cant stand how everyone constantly blames the devils lack of success last year on "luck" they were more possesive over the puck then the other team the majority of the time.. possibly.. but you can take as many shots on the opposition as you want if your just slinging a bunch of sh!t crappy easy to stop shots at a goalie doesnt matter if you take 95 shots if theyre sucky slob lob shots theyre obviously not going to take a whole ton of effort to stop. That was why the team sucked at scoring. EXAMPLE: take clarkson was ripping as many shots as possible on net last year.. problem was none of them were going in because they were all sh!tty shots sh!tty unskilled shots that he was just throwing at the goaltender. and for his situation probably taking so many shots on goal to try to make himself more appealing on the market being his free agency he wanted to have higher numbers for shots on goal. Long story short.. i can take 300 shots on brodeur and im sure he could stop every single one of them.. doesnt mean i have no luck means i fvcking suck and dont have the skill to put one past him.

Well not all of the scoring chances last year were perimeter shots.  I hate when people blame lack of luck too, but I can't think of any other way to put it.

i cant stand how everyone constantly blames the devils lack of success last year on "luck" they were more possesive over the puck then the other team the majority of the time.. possibly.. but you can take as many shots on the opposition as you want if your just slinging a bunch of sh!t crappy easy to stop shots at a goalie doesnt matter if you take 95 shots if theyre sucky slob lob shots theyre obviously not going to take a whole ton of effort to stop. That was why the team sucked at scoring. EXAMPLE: take clarkson was ripping as many shots as possible on net last year.. problem was none of them were going in because they were all sh!tty shots sh!tty unskilled shots that he was just throwing at the goaltender. and for his situation probably taking so many shots on goal to try to make himself more appealing on the market being his free agency he wanted to have higher numbers for shots on goal. Long story short.. i can take 300 shots on brodeur and im sure he could stop every single one of them.. doesnt mean i have no luck means i fvcking suck and dont have the skill to put one past him.

C'mon, be real. Of course you won't score on 300 shots, did you train all your life for that? I doubt it. These guys did and they all have NHL quality shots. They didn't all of a sudden become terrible at scoring. The team possessed the puck more than their opponents, generally got more shots. This is what wins hockey games. It's far more likely that you score when you possess the puck than when you don't.

And Clarkson always had taken shots from wherever, that's part of his game, lots of shots. Not tons of quality, but lots of shots. So I'm not sure why you're blaming him for doing his job.

C'mon, be real. Of course you won't score on 300 shots, did you train all your life for that? I doubt it. These guys did and they all have NHL quality shots. They didn't all of a sudden become terrible at scoring. The team possessed the puck more than their opponents, generally got more shots. This is what wins hockey games. It's far more likely that you score when you possess the puck than when you don't.

And Clarkson always had taken shots from wherever, that's part of his game, lots of shots. Not tons of quality, but lots of shots. So I'm not sure why you're blaming him for doing his job.

possession of the puck is not what wins games.. or the team would have been winning games.. putting the puck in the back of the net more times then the opposition is what wins games... last years team couldnt figure out how to do that so clearly with the crappy team that the devils had on the ice there was a lack of talent half the team was all fourth liners or ahl quality players... the team couldnt win one game without kovalchuk on the ice.. dont make excuses for them it was clearly a lack of talent. No matter how hard they tried most nights they couldnt figure out how to walk away with a win. If they scored 2 goals moose let in 3.. LOL major lack of talent last year the team down right sucked if you dont realize that im sorry your in denial.

possession of the puck is not what wins games.. or the team would have been winning games.. putting the puck in the back of the net more times then the opposition is what wins games... last years team couldnt figure out how to do that so clearly with the crappy team that the devils had on the ice there was a lack of talent half the team was all fourth liners or ahl quality players... the team couldnt win one game without kovalchuk on the ice.. dont make excuses for them it was clearly a lack of talent. No matter how hard they tried most nights they couldnt figure out how to walk away with a win. If they scored 2 goals moose let in 3.. LOL major lack of talent last year the team down right sucked if you dont realize that im sorry your in denial.

Last year the Devils were in their attacking zone for like the majority of the game.  Teams don't let the opposition control the puck in their own end for majority of the game.  I'm not saying the Devils were good last year, but that team would have made the playoffs if they knew how to finish their chances.

No one's saying the Devils didn't lack a bit of top end talent, but to say they all sucked is patently false. The team could not score last year, but nothing truly wins games, things can only make it more likely that you'll win. Possessing the puck more and outshooting opponents is a great way to make it more likely that you'll score goals and win.

You, in particular, pointed out Clarkson, who basically scored at the same pace last year as he did in the 2011-12 season, despite his drop off in performance late in the year. The team played the system well, we just lacked a bit of luck and maybe a top 6 player or two to give us more of a scoring touch.

We signed Ryder, Clowe, Brunner and Jagr to replace the lost scoring though and together, they can probably put up as many points as Kovy and Clarkson would have, maybe even a few more. What we need to be a better team than last year is for Zajac and Henrique to have good years. Loktionov playing well would be a great boost too.

No one's saying the Devils didn't lack a bit of top end talent, but to say they all sucked is patently false. The team could not score last year, but nothing truly wins games, things can only make it more likely that you'll win. Possessing the puck more and outshooting opponents is a great way to make it more likely that you'll score goals and win.

You, in particular, pointed out Clarkson, who basically scored at the same pace last year as he did in the 2011-12 season, despite his drop off in performance late in the year. The team played the system well, we just lacked a bit of luck and maybe a top 6 player or two to give us more of a scoring touch.

We signed Ryder, Clowe, Brunner and Jagr to replace the lost scoring though and together, they can probably put up as many points as Kovy and Clarkson would have, maybe even a few more. What we need to be a better team than last year is for Zajac and Henrique to have good years. Loktionov playing well would be a great boost too.

Very well said.  I couldn't agree more with the bolded part.

Me three. I've been very frustrated with Travis Zajac. Henrique gets a little more of a pass because he's still in those growing pains years. Zajac should be at his prime though.

He killed me last year. I really thought he'd have another good year after he had that real good year in 09-10, but we've not seen the same from him since. That being said, the next year everyone looked terrible and then Zajac was hurt for most of last year. He needs a good year, otherwise that contract is going to look REALLY bad.

I don't get the Fayne aspect either. He's definitely a solid 4-5. Even if they have soured on him, by not playing him they reduce his value. Clowe looked pretty good last night. He'll battle. It's just whether his style is conducive.

Except Clarkson was one of the few guys on that team who could crash the net and get rebounds, and instead he slung a bunch of bad shots with no one there to get the rebound. Those shots are only valuable if someone's there to pressure the goalie during and after. Without Parise, Clarkson really needed to step up there.

That team's biggest problem was an inability to create quality shots, compounded by their inability to make crappy shots dangerous. You can't fix the quality shots issue without quality players, but you can fix the system to create more chances on bad shots. IMO that's the major reason they were so bad last year, not luck.

Edited by mouse

Except Clarkson was one of the few guys on that team who could crash the net and get rebounds, and instead he slung a bunch of bad shots with no one there to get the rebound. Those shots are only valuable if someone's there to pressure the goalie during and after. Without Parise, Clarkson really needed to step up there.

That team's biggest problem was an inability to create quality shots, compounded by their inability to make crappy shots dangerous. You can't fix the quality shots issue without quality players, but you can fix the system to create more chances on bad shots. IMO that's the major reason they were so bad last year, not luck.

Yeah, he should have stepped up and scored at a 40 goal pace. Oh please. He scored at the same rate he did the year before and that's more than anyone thought he'd do.

Yeah, he should have stepped up and scored at a 40 goal pace. Oh please. He scored at the same rate he did the year before and that's more than anyone thought he'd do.

But he put in a ton of goals at the beginning of the season, then trailed off badly, which affected his numbers. Also, I'm not just blaming Clarkson (though it came off that way). I'm blaming the approach. They didn't have a good enough group of snipers to expect their shots to just beat the goalie, especially when Kovalchuk got hurt. Therefore, they needed to play to their strengths, and go for a ton of ugly goals. Considering how well they controlled possession, they should have been able to establish a better cycle, and even if they couldn't, they needed to plant somebody near the net whenever they had possession. Instead, they tended to settle for shots around the circles. Since their shooters left something to be desired, those shots were rarely going in. Just look at how many shots hit the goalie in the pads. What those shots can do is create rebound opportunities, and they often did, but nobody was there to get them. Also, nobody was screening the goalie, which makes it less likely that the shots are going in. 

Also, Clarkson was able to take a ton of shots when Zach was there. Zach was a master of ugly goals. With him gone, somebody had to fill the void, especially the way the rest of the team was constructed. It could have been Clarkson. 

There were a ton more problems on that team, D'ags, Sullivan, Poni, and Kostopoulous aren't that good, and got too many minutes, but imo that team wasn't just unlucky. They were flawed. The possession numbers made them look better than they were. I agree that they won fewer games than they should have because of bad luck (every time they scored, the goalie sh@t the bed, every time they kept the other team off the board, they couldn't score, Kovalchuk got hurt at a bad time, Marty came back too fast because Moose played much worse than he has in the past), but even if they had average luck, they were first round fodder at best.