GDT: Game 4 Devils @ Canucks 10pm MSG+

ZeroGravityFat

I don't think people would be this negative if not for you know, winning ten of their last thirty-five or whatever games, the offseason turmoil and losing what might be a high first-round pick at this rate.  Coach making dumb decisions with a select doghouse (Volch has immunity from riding the pine despite ****ing up a billion times, Josefson can't get in the lineup), Zajac/Henrique look like a $10 million waste down the middle, other than that everything's great.

And when you look back at all of those games they were incredibly close games (From February to Mid-march was our tough stretch) , it’s not like the team was getting blown out of the water night after night.

Apart from losing Kovy (admittedly a big deal) i think the off season went well. We added decent players, found someone to take over from Marty, let go of players who were looking to be overpaid, finally sorted out our ownership issues.

I will admit some of PDB's decisions have had me scratching my head, but from the first four games half the D men on the ice deserve to be sitting, but we can’t do that so what options are left? Larsson’s play has hardly been stellar (team worst -4).

Clearly there is work to be done, but it’s not like the team just got hammered 9-2!

Out of 30 NHL teams we are 14th, yet we still haven’t won a game, says it all really.

We had a hot start last year and look where we ended up. 

This team needs time to get used to each other. Honestly this team is a lot better than I thought they would be. I thought we'd be back to scoring one goal per game. Not that Fayne was so outstanding last night but I think we can all still agree that Harrold should be the 7th d man. Pete needs to sort out his defense immediately. 

I actually have more faith in this team after watching these first four games than I had during the off season.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

We had a hot start last year and look where we ended up. 

This team needs time to get used to each other. Honestly this team is a lot better than I thought they would be. I thought we'd be back to scoring one goal per game. 

I actually have more faith in this team after watching these first four games than I had during the off season.

What about the defense? They've been the problem, not the offense, and they've been totally unchanged other than losing Tallinder.

Also, the CBGB line has been together the longest and they've looked the worst.

I'm putting this start on the coaching right now

Edited by PWW

What about the defense? They've been the problem, not the offense, and they've been totally unchanged other than losing Tallinder.

Yeah our defense has looked sloppy for most of the goals against. I think the 7 man thing is causing more problems than it is solving. I don't agree with Pete's reasoning for sitting Larsson last night. He said it was to get fresh legs for back to back games but of all the people out there Larsson should have the most stamina (as he's the youngest).

I think they need to stick with a 6 man d and call someone up when there's an injury.

Also, the CBGB line has been together the longest and they've looked the worst.

I'm putting this start on the coaching right now

I think that's more on Lou.. He's given DeBoer a slow D unit that can't do a breakout other than tossing the puck up the boards to the opposing team's D

the biggest problem from our D is having both Sal and Volch... they are pretty much the same player, both with terrible contracts, both slow, both can barely handle the puck or deke out or go around someone if they'd have too, both have sh!tty hockey visions and can't really make smart plays other than skate to the red line and slap the puck around the boards.

They bring the same shot blocking and aggressivity which you need but having 2... nop... they are also dragging their D partner's production down obviously. 

I'd take rookie's mistakes from Merrill, Gelinas any day thinking the best is to come than look at those 2 play knowing it'll never get better.

I think that's more on Lou.. He's given DeBoer a slow D unit that can't do a breakout other than tossing the puck up the boards to the opposing team's D

But PDB isn't even playing the best defense that he DOES have. Gelinas and/or Merrill would be perfect to help this problem but if we can't get Larsson in there when he's already on the roster, I have no hope for them to both call one of them up and actually USE them.

Edited by PWW

Wasn't surprised when I woke up to a loss - I was expecting a regulation one though, so at least they got a point.

Listen, I don't think any of us expected this team to come out of the gate flying - lots of new pieces and faces to get used to.  I will admit though that the type of losses (blowing leads) is infuriating however.  Seems to be one of the characteristics of the PDB era, doesn't it.

I would just stress that people not give up here, I mean it's three games obviously, and this team has plenty of meshing to do.  

Observations of the first two periods:

1)  Did Henrique even play?  I'm really starting to worry that he's always been a benefactor of his strong teammates - he played with Hall in juniors, and then Parise and/or Kovalchuk for his first two professional seasons.  I'm seriously debating if he's able to create anything for himself, or if he can only play off others.  He's looked invisible this year and for most of last... this same worry applies to Zajac as well (Lou picked the wrong guys to lock up, lolamIright Sterio?!).

2)  Clowe looks so fragile out there I'm worried he's going to break a hip.  He's obviously a tough MF, but just the way he skates and labors around...I feel like Jagr, at least 10 years his senior, could skate circles around him.  Oh, and I respect that play on the injury and all that, but for the love God, just stay down next time.

3)  Olesz I thought looked good, hope he stays in the lineup.  Gionta is just..listen, I don't want to sound like a broken record, but when he's out there on the PK against the Sedin twins it's almost comical.  He's just chasing, overskating the puck, missing clearing chances..I mean really, what will it take for PDB to scratch the little engine that couldn't?  A 4th line of Olesz - JJ - Bernier could be a thing of beauty, but we probably won't ever see it.

4)  Slow, slow slow.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing, the Devils just have to force other teams to play the Devils' game.  If they let it open up they're going to get killed in transition and give up odd man rushes all year.  I mean, how many 1-on-1 situations with the goalie will this team allow?  It's almost funny to watch, poor Marty/Cory.

5)  For all the supposed depth this team has, it sure can get ugly when one of Brunner/Lokti/Ryder don't produce.  Elias/Jagr look great, but it's only a matter of time until one of them goes down with an injury.  You know what would be great?  If Zajac and Henrique actually pulled their own weight..

Overall, another frustrating loss.  But at least they're not getting blown out (although if Marty plays last night, that could've been at least a 5-2 loss for sure)

highlight: Vancouver has LED lighting on the Stanchions around the rink.

That looked awesome.  I hope that becomes a thing throughout the NHL.

Edited by Devilsfan118

My hope is once Jon Merrill gets 10 AHL games and has 20+ PT's they'll HAVE to call him up and bench a vet (please not larsson). Force LouBoer's hand in to playing a young talented defenseman.

yeah so that they bench Larsson and Fayne and put Merrill and Gelinas? lol

Merrill would have you guys angry in 1 game - he has all sorts of small issues to work out with his game.  Stick positioning, reading the play, etc.  And of course since he's someone who passes the puck, there'd be complaints about turnovers, since players who pass the puck who aren't Lidstrom turn the puck over.

This was the first game of the first 4 where the Devils were really beaten up, and they came out of it with a point.  Indeed, the offense isn't going to come this easily in future games without power plays.

Merrill would have you guys angry in 1 game - he has all sorts of small issues to work out with his game.  Stick positioning, reading the play, etc.  And of course since he's someone who passes the puck, there'd be complaints about turnovers, since players who pass the puck who aren't Lidstrom turn the puck over.

Would Merril make some people around here angry? Sure. But "you guys" is not fair. Also, from watching most of his Michigan games and all his AHL games last year, reading the play might be his biggest strength. Do the small things need work? I'd say any defensemen under 25 needs to work to fill holes in their game, but a lot of them are able to do it at the NHL level. We'll see how he starts off the AHL season, but I expect him to outclass that league and EARN a call-up.

re: Volchenkov seeming getting a pass:

his minutes have been reduced each of the last two games

he got healthy scratched 5 or 6 games last year

he is not beyond reproach.

Salvador on the other hand...

and for God's sake, can we get Josefson in for Gionta. Enough is enough. No matter how you slice it, Gionta has been a disaster. Traditional Stats. "Advanced Stats." Helen Keller Stats. He's been bad. Teams are licking their chops to send their best out against him.

re: Volchenkov seeming getting a pass:

his minutes have been reduced each of the last two games

he got healthy scratched 5 or 6 games last year

he is not beyond reproach.

Salvador on the other hand...

and for God's sake, can we get Josefson in for Gionta. Enough is enough. No matter how you slice it, Gionta has been a disaster. Traditional Stats. "Advanced Stats." Helen Keller Stats. He's been bad. Teams are licking their chops to send their best out against him.

Not happening and I expect when Josefson finally gets in, it'll be for Loktionov.