The Pete Deboer Thread

Derlique

My god man! Where is their line in the sand? At what point does he finally prove this?

Gionta's numbers with the Devils under Peter DeBoer:

79 GP, 7 G, 14 A, 21 P, 18 PIM, +4, 85 SOG, ~11:00 TOI

Now if I told you nothing else about Stephen Gionta and you didn't know what Corsi was, you'd think that was pretty good performance for a 4th line center who sometimes plays 3rd line minutes.  It's the fact that these numbers are unsustainable - that Gionta's next 80 games are more likely to feature around 10 points scored - is part of what makes GIonta so not good.

Now if I told you nothing else about Stephen Gionta and you didn't know what Corsi was, you'd think that was pretty good performance for a 4th line center who sometimes plays 3rd line minutes.  It's the fact that these numbers are unsustainable - that Gionta's next 80 games are more likely to feature around 10 points scored - is part of what makes GIonta so not good.

Also his other stint on the awful portion of the 10/11 season where he was the epitome of JAG.

Stephen Gionta isn't horrible offensively.  But he brings so little in every other aspect.  As I've said several times, I love Gionta.  I mean I have an obsessive mancrush on the man.  But he shouldn't be playing this much.  He shouldn't be playing over our skilled guys like Josefson and Tedenby.

This is wrong.  Deboer was the coach of a team that got to play for the Stanley Cup.

that doesnt mean anything anymore bro im sorry... everyone is all caught up in that memory still with deboer. ALOT has changed since then its not even close to the same team since then weve lost two superstar players in kovy and parise clarkson took a hike too.. and theyve had a lot of new guys come and go. Something is clearly not working out here and now the fingers start to get pointed at the coaching staff.. it isnt just this first 5 game losing streak it was last seasons horrible second half ending as well its been going on for a serious amount of time. Game after game so far this season everyone continues to question wtf pdb is doing with the lines and the players hes playing continuously and the ones he continues to bench... i really dont think hes going to have a job if the team doesnt turn their sh!t around. Everyone who is stuck in the 12' cup run memory has got to move on and realize this is a completely different team and whatever it is just isnt working out.. and for fvcks sake please dont be one of those guys thats going to say the new faces just need to mesh with our guys because thats obviously not the problem so everyone can feel free to stop using that as an excuse.

that doesnt mean anything anymore bro im sorry... everyone is all caught up in that memory still with deboer. ALOT has changed since then its not even close to the same team since then weve lost two superstar players in kovy and parise clarkson took a hike too.. and theyve had a lot of new guys come and go. Something is clearly not working out here and now the fingers start to get pointed at the coaching staff.. it isnt just this first 5 game losing streak it was last seasons horrible second half ending as well its been going on for a serious amount of time. Game after game so far this season everyone continues to question wtf pdb is doing with the lines and the players hes playing continuously and the ones he continues to bench... i really dont think hes going to have a job if the team doesnt turn their sh!t around. Everyone who is stuck in the 12' cup run memory has got to move on and realize this is a completely different team and whatever it is just isnt working out.. and for fvcks sake please dont be one of those guys thats going to say the new faces just need to mesh with our guys because thats obviously not the problem so everyone can feel free to stop using that as an excuse.

My point is that he compared him to JMac.  They couldn't be more different.  The problem with JMac was his system was absolute garbage.  The problem with Deboer his that his lineups are the problem.  Deboer's system is one of the best in hockey.

My point is that you have to look at these things in a vacuum.   Staffs are units.   Oates and Robinson is a very good staff and them combined with Pete's system led to good things.   Some of the same odd things happened but they overcame it at an incredible rate.   The staff right now does not seem to be very good.  The system IMO still is and was even last year at the end.   But it's a sum of your parts thing, if units can't be coached up properly it's on the HC.   It happens.

Lemaire and Robinson, great tandem.   Robinson gets removed from the equation, and next thing you know, Chris Nilan is in.   Whoops.   The only thing else I remember him for since is stealing a bathing suit.

Edited by maxpower

My point is that you have to look at these things in a vacuum.   Staffs are units.   Oates and Robinson is a very good staff and them combined with Pete's system led to good things.   Some of the same odd things happened but they overcame it at an incredible rate.   The staff right now does not seem to be very good.  The system IMO still is and was even last year at the end.   But it's a sum of your parts thing, if units can't be coached up properly it's on the HC.   It happens.

Lemaire and Robinson, great tandem.   Robinson gets removed from the equation, and next thing you know, Chris Nilan is in.   Whoops.   The only thing else I remember him for since is stealing a bathing suit.

I don't disagree.  But Oates and Robinson were there with Mac as well.

One place I find the coaching seriously lacking is in the shootout department.  Robinson and Oates were able to coach NJ into great shootout results in 11-12 and since then it's been nothing but awful.

One place I find the coaching seriously lacking is in the shootout department.  Robinson and Oates were able to coach NJ into great shootout results in 11-12 and since then it's been nothing but awful.

Honestly Marty may have made the biggest coaching decision re: shootouts.   If you have two good shooters it's almost impossible to lose them.   If you have no good shooters it's almost impossible to win them

DeBoer's not Johnny Mac, the irony is the biggest parallel to Johnny Mac is the team closest to us right now :P

But he's still getting toward gots to go territory.  He's been Robbie Ftorek at the end of '00 bad, or Larry at the beginning of '06...it just isn't working anymore and his bizarre quick hook on anyone 27-and-under isn't helping matters.

Silly thread.

This is essentially a team of underachievers, and free agent talent that still needs to develop long term chemistry.

The west coast trip is typically brutal physically, but is a good place to come together.

I am glad the Devils did this early in the season, because it will pay dividends down the road.

This is a better team than last year, by December we will have a laugh at this thread.

• Like 1

Honestly Marty may have made the biggest coaching decision re: shootouts.   If you have two good shooters it's almost impossible to lose them.   If you have no good shooters it's almost impossible to win them

lol, how about having a look at shootout results sometime, might help you.  there's no such thing as 'two good shooters', and no such thing as 'no good shooters'.  

NJ was 16-6 in 2011-12 in OT/SO, they're 3-13 since.

DeBoer's not Johnny Mac, the irony is the biggest parallel to Johnny Mac is the team closest to us right now :P

But he's still getting toward gots to go territory.  He's been Robbie Ftorek at the end of '00 bad, or Larry at the beginning of '06...it just isn't working anymore and his bizarre quick hook on anyone 27-and-under isn't helping matters.

Robbie Ftorek's final game as Devils coach was a 5-0 loss to the Hurricanes, a team under .500 at the time, where New Jersey got outshot 37-22.  That was a Devils team that is one of the great territorial teams of all time - they would go on to outshoot the rest of the league by 190 in the playoffs.

If this team had won two shootouts, no one is saying boo.