The Pete Deboer Thread

Derlique

Deboer is pulling some of the same nonsense that got him fired down in Florida. Looks like history repeats itself soon.

Have you looked at the 2010-11 Florida Panthers recently?  I mean, other than all the guys from that team in the NJ organization.  It's a pretty ugly group.

They scored 70 goals over the last 35 games of the season last year, they still would have lost games with average goaltending.  It wasn't just 'one' aspect of the team that failed, you make it out as such although Hedberg was historically bad. 

Coaches can't really coach offense, either.  70 goals, with the Devils' defense, should've still be enough to keep the team in most games.  Indeed, it was even with some of the Devils' awful goaltending, it's just that the Devils also couldn't win a shootout.

Have you looked at the 2010-11 Florida Panthers recently?  I mean, other than all the guys from that team in the NJ organization.  It's a pretty ugly group.

Yes.  I'm well aware of that team and it's issues on the roster.  Does that mean Deboer doesn't take any blame?  It wasn't just the young players who hated him for his lineup  nonsense.  The veterans stopped listening to him when he showed an inability to make changes or adjust his philosophies to fit his players.

Yes.  I'm well aware of that team and it's issues on the roster.  Does that mean Deboer doesn't take any blame?  It wasn't just the young players who hated him for his lineup  nonsense.  The veterans stopped listening to him when he showed an inability to make changes or adjust his philosophies to fit his players.

The veteran players on that team were garbage.  All that team had going for it was goaltending.  If it was DeBoer's mishandling of young players that cost him his job, those young players haven't gone on to do anything of note - Dmitri Kulikov is in Kevin Dineen's doghouse now, Michael Frolik is a 3rd/4th line player, Bergfors is out of the NHL, Dadonov is out of the NHL, etc. etc.  I'm not saying his benching of Fayne is correct - it isn't - but citing the Panthers as an example of DeBoer's inability to coach is madness.  That team sucked out loud.

The veteran players on that team were garbage.  All that team had going for it was goaltending.  If it was DeBoer's mishandling of young players that cost him his job, those young players haven't gone on to do anything of note - Dmitri Kulikov is in Kevin Dineen's doghouse now, Michael Frolik is a 3rd/4th line player, Bergfors is out of the NHL, Dadonov is out of the NHL, etc. etc.  I'm not saying his benching of Fayne is correct - it isn't - but citing the Panthers as an example of DeBoer's inability to coach is madness.  That team sucked out loud.

I'm well aware of how terrible they were, which was whether you want to admit it or not, at least in part due to Deboer.  He did a poor job in Florida which was certainly in part due to a shoddy roster, but not the sole reason for it.  He failed to develop any of the younger players and engaged in mind-games with many of the veterans.  Which is one of the reasons why I was so apprehensive about us hiring Deboer but which he appeared to tamp down here with guys such as Elias, Parise, Brodeur as leaders on the team.  He's shown an inability to run a PP in the absence of Oates.  His handling of Kovalchuk was at times foolish if not defeating.  His benching of Fayne is emblematic of his poor handling of the defensive group overall and their minutes.  

I'm not even going to get into the goalie argument again because it's been beaten to death and that aspect is as much on Lou, but which we have hopefully seen fixed for the foreseeable future.

I'm well aware of how terrible they were, which was whether you want to admit it or not, at least in part due to Deboer.  He did a poor job in Florida which was certainly in part due to a shoddy roster, but not the sole reason for it.  He failed to develop any of the younger players and engaged in mind-games with many of the veterans.  Which is one of the reasons why I was so apprehensive about us hiring Deboer but which he appeared to tamp down here with guys such as Elias, Parise, Brodeur as leaders on the team.  He's shown an inability to run a PP in the absence of Oates.  His handling of Kovalchuk was at times foolish if not defeating.  His benching of Fayne is emblematic of his poor handling of the defensive group overall and their minutes.  

I'm not even going to get into the goalie argument again because it's been beaten to death and that aspect is as much on Lou, but which we have hopefully seen fixed for the foreseeable future.

Again, who are these young players?  Where are they now?  I suppose the argument is that he irrevocably destroyed their careers.  What mind games has DeBoer played with veterans?  What veteran players on this team seem like they're fed up with DeBoer? One issue in Florida could be the waiving of Michael Grabner, but that was Dale Tallon's doing - whether DeBoer agreed with it or not, the GM has final say on that issue.

'DeBoer has shown no ability to run a power play' - that isn't his role.  That falls on the assistant coaches.  I like how Oates is now a power play wizard, except that NJ's PP was not very good when he was here and most Devils fans wanted Oates fired.  The personnel for the Devils' power play isn't very good and I don't expect NJ's PP to be anything better than average, and it could be considerably worse.

'His handling of Kovalchuk' - DeBoer put him on RW, which is debatable tactics-wise, but other than that he let Kovalchuk play a billion minutes regardless of how well he was playing.  Kovalchuk never fully fit into DeBoer's system, but this isn't Jagr in his prime - Kovalchuk isn't a good enough player to throw out an entire way of doing things just to play to his strengths.

If Pete DeBoer was losing games in Florida because of a crappy roster, whats his excuse for losing games in Jersey with a better roster?

That the goaltending is utter dogsh!t and if your goaltending is bad it's real hard to win.  It was good in Florida, the only thing that kept them from being the worst team in the league.

Let me start by saying I think Fayne is slightly overrated. But the fact that he is sitting for both Volchenkov and Harrold is horrible. Volchenkovs contract should have no impact on if he is playing or not. Fayne is clearly better than AV and should be in.

Completely disagree. He's not making the paycheck or getting the minutes or clutch situations from the coach that can allow anyone to consider him overrated.

If the Devils lose the next two, I think we can be sure PDB is gone. I think a blind man can see who should be in this lineup. Simply put, the following guys dont belong here: Gionta, Volchenkov, Salvador.

These are my lines:

Henrique-Zajac-Ryder
Elias-Josefson-Brunner
Olesz-Loktionov-Jagr
Clowe-Zubrus-Bernier
Carter-Tedenby

Greene-Larsson (27 Mins)
Fayne-Marek Zidlicky (23 Mins)
Salvador-Harrold (10 Mins)
Volchenkov

Schneider
Brodeur

Zidlicky and Harrold would depend on their performance. I cant see why DeBoer finds this line up so damn difficult to figure out. This is a 4 line team that can keep a team pinned in their zone for 45 minutes straight. Put Gionta in there and the entire balance switches.

'DeBoer has shown no ability to run a power play' - that isn't his role.  That falls on the assistant coaches.  I like how Oates is now a power play wizard, except that NJ's PP was not very good when he was here and most Devils fans wanted Oates fired.  The personnel for the Devils' power play isn't very good and I don't expect NJ's PP to be anything better than average, and it could be considerably worse.

bazing!

jj was on the pk last game; 2 against us

i brought up Debo's history with FLA when he got here then we went to the SCF.

Edited by lazer

If the Devils lose the next two, I think we can be sure PDB is gone. I think a blind man can see who should be in this lineup. Simply put, the following guys dont belong here: Gionta, Volchenkov, Salvador.

These are my lines:

Henrique-Zajac-Ryder

Elias-Josefson-Brunner

Olesz-Loktionov-Jagr

Clowe-Zubrus-Bernier

Carter-Tedenby

Greene-Larsson (27 Mins)

Fayne-Marek Zidlicky (23 Mins)

Salvador-Harrold (10 Mins)

Volchenkov

Schneider

Brodeur

Zidlicky and Harrold would depend on their performance. I cant see why DeBoer finds this line up so damn difficult to figure out. This is a 4 line team that can keep a team pinned in their zone for 45 minutes straight. Put Gionta in there and the entire balance switches.

You need Volch or Sal. I agree not both, but you want a big body who can play physical and is solid on the PK. Having 2 slow guys iced every night is a different story.

Sal hasn't actually been bad this year, his misplay the other night notwithstanding.  People are still holding last year and his contract against him.

Agreed. The risk with Sal is if he's not healthy, he gets way too slow. I'm more afraid he's a traffic cone at the end of the year once he's been dinged up.