The Pete Deboer Thread

Derlique

This is an idiotic stat and it keeps being thrown out there.  DeBoer doesn't win shootouts.  He doesn't save pucks.  This was the first night of great goaltending NJ has gotten.

The players are probably losing confidence because they are pressing, and they end up doing things more on their own than as part of the system, and it looks really disjointed and awful.  This isn't a team that can look good if they try to do things on their own, they don't have guys who can score tons of goals 1 on 1.  Brunner's been going solo the last 2 games now and he's looked awful.

It's idiotic that they've lost 29 of their last 39 games?  LOL.   It's a results-oriented business

Edited by maxpower

10-29

This is an idiotic stat and it keeps being thrown out there.  DeBoer doesn't win shootouts.  He doesn't save pucks.  This was the first night of great goaltending NJ has gotten.

The players are probably losing confidence because they are pressing, and they end up doing things more on their own than as part of the system, and it looks really disjointed and awful.  This isn't a team that can look good if they try to do things on their own, they don't have guys who can score tons of goals 1 on 1.  Brunner's been going solo the last 2 games now and he's looked awful.

Since when is the team's win-loss record an idiotic stat? I'd say its a pretty fvcking important stat, considering, ya know, winning is the whole point. Max said it, the bottom line results are all that matter.

It's idiotic that they've lost 29 of their last 39 games?  LOL.   It's a results-oriented business

It's idiotic that you are citing 2 totally different teams (one with a goaltender, albeit one that has only played half the games so far, and one that hasn't).  You are combining OT losses and regular losses even though you get a point for one and not for the other.  NJ hasn't looked good in 3 games and that is troubling, but why was no one citing that DeBoer was like 60-40-5 when the Devils started losing last year?

Both Brodeur and Hedberg started out good last year.  Brodeur had about an .890 SV% last year through March and April, Hedberg had a an .860.  How are you supposed to win a bunch of games with goaltending this awful?

Edited by Triumph

It's idiotic that you are citing 2 totally different teams (one with a goaltender, albeit one that has only played half the games so far, and one that hasn't).  You are combining OT losses and regular losses even though you get a point for one and not for the other.  NJ hasn't looked good in 3 games and that is troubling, but why was no one citing that DeBoer was like 60-40-5 when the Devils started losing last year?

It's the run they're on.   You can spin it however you want.   When you finish that poorly you think you would be following the results closely early on the next season, if you were in charge.

They've lost 29 out of their last 39 games.   For someone that dabbles in numbers you'd think that one would stick out like a sore thumb to you.

and to double down on that, the core players that were on both teams have more or less carried over last season's offensive retardation.   and the defense, which is the same unit, is still bringing the LOL's

I think Pete needs to go, or at least Scott Stevens.

We shouldn't play a single game more with Harrold and Volchenkov as the D.

Fayne-Zidlicky

Greene-Larsson

Sal-Merrill or Gelinas

I don't give a fvck if they make mistakes. We need their upsides and to give these guys a fvckING CHANCE.

I'm so sick of this Stephen Gionta, Volchenkov and HArrold bullsh!t.

Both Brodeur and Hedberg started out good last year.  Brodeur had about an .890 SV% last year through March and April, Hedberg had a an .860.  How are you supposed to win a bunch of games with goaltending this awful?

What difference does the goaltending make when you can't score anyway?  You'd need great goaltending (re: under 2 GAA) to win games averaging two goals per game.  They lost plenty of games 5-1 last year, it's like chicken or egg syndrome.  They had an equal number of games where they gave up 4+ and scored fewer than two.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I do want to see what happens if Schneider gets 5+ starts in a row.  Tri is right in that the goaltending was pretty bad when the losses started piling up last season.  Marty is off to an .878 start in three games...it's a teeny sample, but this season I'm not fvcking around and giving Marty two months and roughly half the Devils' games in that time frame to try to see if he gets it going.   

It's the run they're on.   You can spin it however you want.   When you finish that poorly you think you would be following the results closely early on the next season, if you were in charge.

It's the data-snooped run 'they're' on, sure.  Notice that they got rid of their terrible backup goalie and replaced him with a guy who could be one of the elite goalies.

They've lost 29 out of their last 39 games.   For someone that dabbles in numbers you'd think that one would stick out like a sore thumb to you.

LOL dude you keep yammering about it.  Okay, first off, they have 3 OT losses this year and 2-7 in OT last year, so that's 2-10.  You think that's sustainable?  Second, they got AWFUL goaltending.  Third, they got abysmal shooting luck.

and to double down on that, the core players that were on both teams have more or less carried over last season's offensive retardation.   and the defense, which is the same unit, is still bringing the LOL's

This team is not going to be good offensively.  What they're not doing right now is getting zone time or establishing the forecheck - whether that's on the personnel (they can't execute) or what, I don't know - if that doesn't get fixed, it'll be a long season.  I do think it can be fixed, and that throwing out the coach after 8 games or whatever and installing a new system is asking to repeat the same issues.

The Devils have gotten awful breaks to begin with that their best offensive games have come with Brodeur in net.  I'm hoping very much that we see Schneider against Ottawa and then throw Brodeur to the Rangers if he has to, but I'm not counting on that.  This team isn't going to win many games where they give up 3 goals, and they have to be better in OT/SO situations.

Edited by Triumph

I do want to see what happens if Schneider gets 5+ starts in a row.  Tri is right in that the goaltending was pretty bad when the losses started piling up last season.  Marty is off to an .878 start in three games...it's a teeny sample, but this season I'm not fvcking around and giving Marty two months and roughly half the Devils' games in that time frame to try to see if he gets it going.   

Their goaltending was spectacular tonight and they couldn't get pressure on Al Montoya, and even with the spectacular goalie, a mistake by a defenseman puts a puck in the net off another one

Their goaltending was spectacular tonight and they couldn't get pressure on Al Montoya, and even with the spectacular goalie, a mistake by a defenseman puts a puck in the net off another one

Not disputing above, but Schneider can at least keep them in games. 

It's the data-snooped run 'they're' on, sure.

LOL dude you keep yammering about it.  Okay, first off, they have 3 OT losses this year and 2-7 in OT last year, so that's 2-10.  You think that's sustainable?  Second, they got AWFUL goaltending.  Third, they got abysmal shooting luck.

This team is not going to be good offensively.  What they're not doing right now is getting zone time or establishing the forecheck - whether that's on the personnel (they can't execute) or what, I don't know - if that doesn't get fixed, it'll be a long season.  I do think it can be fixed, and that throwing out the coach after 8 games or whatever and installing a new system is asking for trouble.

Tri, losses are losses, when they accumulate in that kind of bulk it kind of stops mattering how they happened.   You're giving me numbers and sustainable and scapegoats and luck, but the most important stat in sports is wins and losses.   And the run they're on now is actually worse than the Johnny Mac era of suck.   Not by point percentage, obviously, but by wins and loses.

Don't bother, according to Tri it's the only game in the last 40 where we actually got good goaltending, never mind all those 2-0 and 2-1 losses late last year where the offense didn't do ****.

Right, NJ will never get puck luck, they will always blow leads, etc.

Don't bother, according to Tri it's the only game in the last 40 where we actually got good goaltending, never mind all those 2-0 and 2-1 losses late last year where the offense didn't do ****.

NJ had the same awful luck last year with decent goaltending coming in the games they couldn't score.  This is not going to be a good offense and no one should have the impression that it will be.  The personnel aren't there.  Everyone knows that.  The defense has to be tightened up.  It's a shame they haven't been able to a steal a win here, would probably go a long way towards calming nerves.

EDIT:  Hedberg gave up 2 goals in the first 3 games, going 2-0-1.  He had one game where he gave up 1 goal, and 6 games where he gave up 2 goals.  He was 4-2-1 in these games.  He lost all the rest of his games.

Edited by Triumph

It's just a remarkably difficult team to play behind.   Marty is a backup and Moose should have been put down, but you put a supremely better goalie in there and the same things are happening, and then he pitches a near perfect game and they still don't win.    And it's not even like it's on a clean shot or a great play, it's on a defensive related clusterfvck

Right, NJ will never get puck luck, they will always blow leads, etc.

Magical thinking doesn't save coaching jobs.   I don't like that it seems destined to happen, but it's gonna happen.   If not tomorrow or Tuesday, it'll be soon.  

Magical thinking doesn't save coaching jobs.   I don't like that it seems destined to happen, but it's gonna happen.   If not tomorrow or Tuesday, it'll be soon. 

It could be as soon as Saturday (if they lose another two and get embarassed by a bad Ranger team) and I hate it too but to an extent Pete's digging his own grave here.

And attributing 40 games of bad offense to luck is just as silly now as it was in 2010.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It could be as soon as Saturday (if they lose another two and get embarassed by a bad Ranger team) and I hate it too but to an extent Pete's digging his own grave here.

And attributing 40 games of bad offense to luck is just as silly now as it was in 2010.

I think it's coming now because of the lull in the schedule... if they are inclined to promote from within.

It's just a remarkably difficult team to play behind.   Marty is a backup and Moose should have been put down, but you put a supremely better goalie in there and the same things are happening, and then he pitches a near perfect game and they still don't win.    And it's not even like it's on a clean shot or a great play, it's on a defensive related clusterfvck

Wow, they got a whole 1 great goaltending game and couldn't win it.  They got 3 games of Marty too, didn't win those.  

The Rangers aren't a bad team.

The Devils have a bad offense.  They do not have a bad offense because of coaching, they have a bad offense because of personnel.  Nothing can turn the Devils into having a good offense besides puck luck.  However, even within the context of having a bad offense, they got rotten puck luck last year.

I think it's coming now because of the lull in the schedule... if they are inclined to promote from within.

Who do they have to promote from within?  I think Lou used up his buddy pass with Lemaire two years ago, and they can't keep yo-yoing him back like George used to do with Billy Martin.  I doubt Barr or Stevens would be the next coach unless it was something like '05 where they 'coached' but Lou has the head title.  Lou hasn't even given the public vote of confidence yet lol

If anything they might go outside for the first time in-season since Constantine.  If Laviolette wasn't such a **** he'd be an obvious choice but I doubt Lou would go for him.  If Maurice wasn't so close with Pete I'd say it could be him.  Maybe Boucher, since he's buddies with Lemaire but he's basically a more sandpapered version of Pete.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Wow, they got a whole 1 great goaltending game and couldn't win it.  They got 3 games of Marty too, didn't win those.  

The Rangers aren't a bad team.

The Devils have a bad offense.  They do not have a bad offense because of coaching, they have a bad offense because of personnel.  Nothing can turn the Devils into having a good offense besides puck luck.  However, even within the context of having a bad offense, they got rotten puck luck last year.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I think we have a good offense. We just have no clue how to play with a lead. Our third period performance is an utter mess.

Who do they have to promote from within?  I think Lou used up his buddy pass with Lemaire two years ago, and they can't keep yo-yoing him back like George used to do with Billy Martin.  I doubt Shaw or Stevens would be the next coach unless it was something like '05 where they 'coached' but Lou has the head title.

If anything they might go outside for the first time in-season since Constantine.  If Laviolette wasn't such a **** he'd be an obvious choice but I doubt Lou would go for him.  If Maurice wasn't so close with Pete I'd say it could be him.  Maybe Boucher, since he's buddies with Lemaire but he's basically a more sandpapered version of Pete.

I just think they're going to make Stevens the coach because he's Scott Stevens.   Just a gut feeling... "think like the Devils think."   And Lou ain't going down to the bench for a full season at 71, that and if you go down to the bench you better be sure you can salvage it, because you're the only guy left, then

Edited by maxpower