The Pete Deboer Thread

Derlique

Promoting Scott Stevens to be a head coach when he has no prior experience as a head coach and 1 season of assistant coaching would be utter insanity.  That would be a fireable offense for Lou Lamoriello.

It's just a strong feeling, going on the Mark Messier principle where if you let your past superstars in there, they become difficult to remove and vastly overrated in their performance.  

Wow, they got a whole 1 great goaltending game and couldn't win it.  They got 3 games of Marty too, didn't win those.  

The Rangers aren't a bad team.

The Devils have a bad offense.  They do not have a bad offense because of coaching, they have a bad offense because of personnel.  Nothing can turn the Devils into having a good offense besides puck luck.  However, even within the context of having a bad offense, they got rotten puck luck last year.

I don't know how we can say that. Two scoreless games during this stretch but scoring 3-4 goals in every other game. Our offense is underestimated.

Promoting Scott Stevens to be a head coach when he has no prior experience as a head coach and 1 season of assistant coaching would be utter insanity.  That would be a fireable offense for Lou Lamoriello.

Agree... Not sure who thinks him as a head coach is a great idea? I'm putting the onus on him for the defense being so sh!t this stretch. I really think he should go, not get promoted.

I don't know how we can say that. Two scoreless games during this stretch but scoring 3-4 goals in every other game. Our offense is underestimated.

Agree... Not sure who thinks him as a head coach is a great idea? I'm putting the onus on him for the defense being so sh!t this stretch. I really think he should go, not get promoted.

The Devils have had leads in most of their games, so this is difficult, but they have not gotten 30 shots on goal in a game yet.  You don't score goals without shots.  They are not going to score a lot of goals.

Edited by Triumph

The run they're on now is actually worse than the Johnny Mac era of suck.  Not by point percentage, obviously, but by wins and loses.

9 wins manufactured over the last 40 games.. when is enough enough?

This season is starting to feel like the J'Mac season in the sense of urgency. "It's only 4 games.. it's only 8 games.. it's only 13 games." -and the next thing you knew, the hole was insurmountable to crawl out of.

The Devils have had leads in most of their games, so this is difficult, but they have not gotten 30 shots on goal in a game yet.  You don't score goals without shots.  They are not going to score a lot of goals.

Lets just face it -- if this team took shots they'd result in turn-overs -- that's the point.  They' re SCARED to take shots. 

It's those little things, like NOT taking shots.... 

9 wins manufactured over the last 40 games.. when is enough enough?

This season is starting to feel like the J'Mac season in the sense of urgency. "It's only 4 games.. it's only 8 games.. it's only 13 games." -and the next thing you knew, the hole was insurmountable to crawl out of.

When the Devils get goaltending and can't win.  That is when enough is enough.  A few more games like last night, and sure.  Scotty Bowman couldn't've gotten the 92-93 Senators to win more than 20 games.  Why?  Their goalies were horrendous.

Edited by Triumph

When the Devils get goaltending and can't win.  That is when enough is enough.  A few more games like last night, and sure.  Scotty Bowman couldn't've gotten the 92-93 Senators to win more than 20 games.  Why?  Their goalies were horrendous.

my concern is there isn't a ton that can be done to improve the team this year - they are who they are and they'll either come together and/or get bounces or they won't.

short of injury, lou is not going to move out players to get merrill and gelinas up and while they may bring a dimension that's missing from some of the varsity, the mistakes and off nights they'll have will be plentiful. as for forwards, the devils have josefson and tedenby to perhaps inject some kind of life but these are bottom 6 guys. for anyone thinking boucher, he's got 4 shots in 3 games so far. again, very small sample size but he's not the answer anytime soon.

i am not down on henrique and zajac like some are but they have to produce offense.

clowe - god we all better hope he's hurt because there has been absolutely nothing there from him.

ryder - i like his game - he's gotten some shots and can be an effective player.

if this is a middle of the pack team, i'll deal with it. but they look pretty terrible more often than not and their glaring weaknesses are getting exposed.

In bold:  yep. 

It's a testament to Lou how long he's been able to stave off an implosion...even in 2010-11, when the Devils could've had a 25-30 win season, they found way to not turn in a bottom-feeder-type record. 

Having a guy like Schneider should help stave off that "completely bottom-out" record (though the one question that hasn't been answered about Schneider yet is can he start 55-65 games in an NHL season), but yeah, if he's doing his thing and the Devils STILL can't win games...yeah, probably have to blow it up...though Lou would have to do it in a way that promises a quick turnaround, and one he could sell Schneider on, if he wants to lock up Schneider to a max-length-type deal. 

Way too early to go here but I will anyway. There is probably a 1% chance Lou does this but guys like Jagr,Zidlicky could yield high picks at the deadline. Ryder and Brunner are on nice contacts too if Lou wants to go that route.

I'm sure LL will look into that if we're not in contention at the deadline. Jagr alone could probably get a 2nd if he manages to look at least decent, same for Zid. I would rather not dump Ryder or Brunner as they aren't 10000 years old and are RH shots. They're also probably the two of the best, if not the two best shots on the team.

I think the deboer watch seriously starts if we lose both of the next 2 games. Lou will at least give him another home game against a god awful rags team to show something.

It's way too early to talk about moving players but the only way Lou does it is if we are completely out of it by the deadline. He will not shop guys off if we have any shred of hope of the playoffs.