The Pete Deboer Thread

Derlique

Chances of us winning against either the Canucks, Bruins and then the Lightning (have 5 wins and 10 pts).look quite slim.

Maybe we're so bad that teams might use a back-up against us and we'll pull off an upset. Fingers crossed.

Speaking of bad decisions, I hope Lou's really regretting holding onto that 29th overall pick a couple years ago. When people were arguing "There's not much of a difference between the 29th and the 20th picks, and the Devils have a deficit that needs to be addressed now..." I bet they didn't expect that we'd be missing the playoffs for at least half of those 4 years. I know it's early and there's still time to turn this season around, but playoffs start to look unlikely when you only get 1 win in the first 10 games. I really hope Lou can find a way to appeal that penalty, but I highly doubt anything would come of that if he tried.

To be honest, I'd have been very happy with coming out of the 2011 draft with Damon Severson as our top pick. He'll almost definitely be a better player than Matteau with his 0 points in the AHL so far.

You've got to do something Lou. This is one season that the team can absolutely not suck.

Speaking of bad decisions, I hope Lou's really regretting holding onto that 29th overall pick a couple years ago. When people were arguing "There's not much of a difference between the 29th and the 20th picks, and the Devils have a deficit that needs to be addressed now..." I bet they didn't expect that we'd be missing the playoffs for at least half of those 4 years. I know it's early and there's still time to turn this season around, but playoffs start to look unlikely when you only get 1 win in the first 10 games. I really hope Lou can find a way to appeal that penalty, but I highly doubt anything would come of that if he tried.

To be honest, I'd have been very happy with coming out of the 2011 draft with Damon Severson as our top pick. He'll almost definitely be a better player than Matteau with his 0 points in the AHL so far.

You've got to do something Lou. This is one season that the team can absolutely not suck.

I truly believe that this team isn't as awful as they have been so I still have hope but it does suck that Lou held onto that pick. If this team is well out of the playoff race by the deadline at least they have some assets (Jagr, Ryder, Zidlicky). Jagr and Zidlicky are both rentals and Ryder would only have 1 year left after this year at a reasonable $3.5M.

I don't know what Ryder's value would be. Maybe Jagr would be worth a conditional 2nd rounder that could turn into a late 1st if that team made a deep run again like the deal with Boston last year. Maybe Zidlicky would yield a fringe player or mid to late round pick. At least the team has some sort of safety net to recoup some value should things continue disastrously - though I still feel they will turn it around.

Dealing Jagr I get and I assume Zidlicky would waive his NTC. But dealing Ryder...what have you got next year? Dealing him would definitely mean going all in in the Connor McDavid sweepstakes.

Which would also mean saying goodbye to any hopes of Schneider staying here long term.

I truly believe that this team isn't as awful as they have been so I still have hope but it does suck that Lou held onto that pick. If this team is well out of the playoff race by the deadline at least they have some assets (Jagr, Ryder, Zidlicky). Jagr and Zidlicky are both rentals and Ryder would only have 1 year left after this year at a reasonable $3.5M.

I don't know what Ryder's value would be. Maybe Jagr would be worth a conditional 2nd rounder that could turn into a late 1st if that team made a deep run again like the deal with Boston last year. Maybe Zidlicky would yield a fringe player or mid to late round pick. At least the team has some sort of safety net to recoup some value should things continue disastrously - though I still feel they will turn it around.

Zidlicky is worth more than you think.   We got him for a 2 + 3 + pile of junk.   And this was at a really low ebb for him.   I think he's probably worth 2+ again.

Ryder could be worth a 1 if he has a very good year because of the extra year.   I think if they're bad, they should have no problem getting back into the first round, the problem is that unless you're extremely lucky, the best you can do is upper mid 1st.   So 20+ or so.   If you would have finished say, 12th from the bottom, meh.  It's bad, but not unforgiveable.     Top 5?   Totally different story.

Edited by maxpower

I just don't understand how PDB is going with Harrold over Larsson at this point.  I just don't get it.  Larsson hasn't been great by any stretch of the imagination, but Harrold is an embarrassment out there, with absolutely no future in this organization.

If the team is fvcking losing, at least make sure your kids are getting some experience.

And that would suck, because you know who (probably) will need goaltending two years down the road? The Flyers...

Talk about getting yourself worked up over nothing..a little premature, don't you think?

Zidlicky is worth more than you think.   We got him for a 2 + 3 + pile of junk.   And this was at a really low ebb for him.   I think he's probably worth 2+ again.

Ryder could be worth a 1 if he has a very good year because of the extra year.   I think if they're bad, they should have no problem getting back into the first round, the problem is that unless you're extremely lucky, the best you can do is upper mid 1st.   So 20+ or so.   If you would have finished say, 12th from the bottom, meh.  It's bad, but not unforgiveable.     Top 5?   Totally different story.

Ryder is not likely to have a good year if the Devils have a bad year, and he won't be worth a 1st round pick even if he does.  C'mon now.

I'm starting to think the Lou is still holding a grudge and drafted him only to bury him in the AHL for as long as possible.

The blowing of leads is my biggest gripe with Deboer...Deboer's expressionless look up at the scoreboard when we blow yet another lead is infuriating. Even in our 1 playoff year with Deboer i recall us blowing a fair amount of leads, but that year we were winning in OT or the shootout so it wasn't magnified.

The blowing of leads is my biggest gripe with Deboer...Deboer's expressionless look up at the scoreboard when we blow yet another lead is infuriating. Even in our 1 playoff year with Deboer i recall us blowing a fair amount of leads, but that year we were winning in OT or the shootout so it wasn't magnified.

More so when it's clear the defensive pairings are an issue.