GDT 6: Devils @ Jets

NJDEVS1730

Hey I scored a goal and two assists in my mens league game. I guess it was worth it not to stay home. As far as the offense is concerned, we all know they can score. Is the system not working anymore? Is the bad D that is constantly breaking down and giving up bad chances deflating the team? Morale has to be at an all time low right now. I don't know what is going to happen, but somethings got to give. I still believe this team can be better than what a lot of people expected, but something is going to have to happen to make this team 180. Until then, its either :headless chicken: or drink the coolaid :koolaid: .

Define "bad offense" Triumph.

Are we looking at a 2.6 gpg per 82...2.55? Because sometimes you have an offense so bad that it really doesn't matter how good your goaltending is. If the Devils can do 2.6 over 82 and get well above average goaltending from Schneider and average to some stretches of above average from Brodeur...they likely sneak into the playoffs.

What's worrisome is Henrique and Zajac. These are guys that have fallen off a major cliff from us. We should expect at the very least 100 points between these two. Yet Zajac has 28 points in his last 68 games. Henrique has 18 in his last 47.

Sykora and Arnott were shipped out the door for playing way better than this.

What's worrisome is Henrique and Zajac. These are guys that have fallen off a major cliff from us. We should expect at the very least 100 points between these two. Yet Zajac has 28 points in his last 68 games. Henrique has 18 in his last 47.

Sykora and Arnott were shipped out the door for playing way better than this.

Don't disagree with that...but it's also extremely unlikely Zajac/Henrique get traded weeks into their new deal.  Lou hasn't reached Holmgren level yet.  Neither one of them have done a thing at the NHL level offensively without Parise riding shotgun though.

Don't disagree with that...but it's also extremely unlikely Zajac/Henrique get traded weeks into their new deal.  Lou hasn't reached Holmgren level yet.  Neither one of them have done a thing at the NHL level offensively without Parise riding shotgun though.

exactly, and I wonder if they ever will...if they were ever all that good to begin with.

This team actually has good depth. Heck I'm sure Ryan Clowe would even be good in the proper role, but they need that top end superstar. Other than Vanek, there is nobody out there

When the defense can actually make a pass and make good decisions in the transition and in the offensive zone to help out the offense we will be fine. But that means Salvador and Volchenkov have to go. Todays NHL relies on good puck moving defenders who can help out offensively, that does not mean they have to get big numbers but they have to make quick smart and GOOD passes. Our defense handles the puck like a gernade. I never saw any player more afraid of the puck thanVolchenkov, worst stick handling player in the game.

Edited by Zubie#8

exactly, and I wonder if they ever will...if they were ever all that good to begin with.

This team actually has good depth. Heck I'm sure Ryan Clowe would even be good in the proper role, but they need that top end superstar. Other than Vanek, there is nobody out there

No thanks to Vanek. This team can't afford another defensive liability

Edited by CarpathianForest

as bad as the D is, schnieder kept it 1-0 for 59 mins. we scored a goose egg, zippo nada nothing, is ryer the ONLY shooter on this team???? we have NO slap shot from the point  and how many times is harrold going to make pretty escape moves bring the puck in beautifully and then pass it right to the other team   and what exactly do we get out of the "C" on salvador? his captaincy might be worse than his play at this point, t one point last nght I secretly wished for a cam janssen fight, thats bad

Just watched the Sens - Ducks highlights. The pace was sick, the plays looked like a friggin video game! Good to see some real hockey for a change.

That's something I've realized as of late - fans of the sport should probably watch as many other games as they can.  Because this Devils hockey is pretty damn boring (not to mention frustrating).

Funny in the past id bash certain things or point out obvious flaws about the team (simply cause it was true not cause i like bashing my own team or whine) and id get call out by the kool aid drinkers here.

And now those same people are saying the same things i was saying lol Lou needs to make a new batch :P

Edited by SterioDesign

That's something I've realized as of late - fans of the sport should probably watch as many other games as they can.  Because this Devils hockey is pretty damn boring (not to mention frustrating).

I'm starting to feel like the Devils' run to the Finals in '12 was a curse in that it forced every team in the league to look at DeBoer's system and deconstruct it. I feel like every team in the league is playing the same game against us as the Kings did in the Finals and that's the book on us and everyone's read it.

I'm starting to feel like the Devils' run to the Finals in '12 was a curse in that it forced every team in the league to look at DeBoer's system and deconstruct it. I feel like every team in the league is playing the same game against us as the Kings did in the Finals and that's the book on us and everyone's read it.

I feel the exact same way. Our system is obvious and easy to read. It seems like its so easy for the other team to cancel out anything we try to do.

I loved pre-season because the passing was so much better, so much more intuitive. 

I think the obvious mistakes of the pre-seaon are preferable to the bone-headed "My bad" plays everyone is making now.  Normally I'd rather have someone with a cliue make mistakes rather than the clueless happily sail through wins oblivious. 

Whatever.  I didn't see last nights game.  I'm not too into it now I confess.  I don't need wins but I need an attempt to play hockey.

I like action with appoligies after.  I LOATH inaction with apologies after.

Funny in the past id bash certain things or point out obvious flaws about the team (simply cause it was true not cause i like bashing my own team or whine) and id get call out by the kool aid drinkers here.

And now those same people are saying the same things i was saying lol Lou needs to make a new batch :P

It was more because you wouldn't STFU about Parise, and the same simplistic arguments you were beating into the ground on multiple threads.

I think most Devils fans were going into the season with an open mind, to see how it was going to work with the new players.  This was a real wild card team going in. 

If there's any positives to draw on (and I'll admit it's not easy to do):

They're not getting destroyed in these games...not on the scoreboard, anyway...but the two-steps-slower crap is getting hard to take for sure.  It may have been 1-0 for 59 mins or so last night, but it felt like 3-0. 

I'm guessing Schneider will start getting the bulk of the starts sooner than later...right now, the guy who stops pucks the best should be getting the majority of the time in net.  That's Schneider.   

It was more because you wouldn't STFU about Parise, and the same simplistic arguments you were beating into the ground on multiple threads.

I think most Devils fans were going into the season with an open mind, to see how it was going to work with the new players.  This was a real wild card team going in. 

If there's any positives to draw on (and I'll admit it's not easy to do):

They're not getting destroyed in these games...not on the scoreboard, anyway...but the two-steps-slower crap is getting hard to take for sure.  It may have been 1-0 for 59 mins or so last night, but it felt like 3-0. 

I'm guessing Schneider will start getting the bulk of the starts sooner than later...right now, the guy who stops pucks the best should be getting the majority of the time in net.  That's Schneider.   

Last night was a disaster because no one was playing within the system.  This isn't a team with a bunch of players who can score doing it themselves.  Someone like Loktionov can't be afraid to pursue the puck hard in the offensive zone.  The dump-ins have to be better.  The power play doesn't look like it quite knows what it's doing - this was to be expected, but right now NJ is generating more shots per minute at 5 on 5 than 5 on 4, so that's gotta change really quick.  Clowe's also below 40% territorially - I'm hoping very much he is hurt, because otherwise he's going to be a drag on the team basically forever.

I posted this in another thread, but when I see Clowe's numbers from '08-'09 to '11-'12, I almost can't believe he actually did that.  He looks nothing like a guy who can contribute that kind of offense for the Devils. 

He scares me just as much as Zajac and Henrique do.