isles aquire vanek. large deal

caron14

The Isles are on the rise, and with a new home on the horizon Vanek may well want to be the main man on a (much better than his old) team in a new arena. Expensive piece, but I think it's too early to say it was a mistake on the order of your average Philly trade.

Vanek isn't going to be main man on the Isles though. That's Tavares and he's going to be THE guy there for a while. Only way Isles get good value out of this is if Moulson was a product of Tavares and Vanek re-signs on a good deal. Even then, Moulson+1st+2nd is A LOT to give up for Vanek.

only time will tell if he bolts in FA at the end of the season then obvioisly it was a mistake if he sticks around and really connects with the team then obviously it worked out fine.. enless you can see the future no one here knows

Thanks for that insightful post :)

Vanek isn't going to be main man on the Isles though. That's Tavares and he's going to be THE guy there for a while. Only way Isles get good value out of this is if Moulson was a product of Tavares and Vanek re-signs on a good deal. Even then, Moulson+1st+2nd is A LOT to give up for Vanek.

It was a lot, absolutely. But if he gets them to the 2nd round, or 3rd... then you pay the price without asking the cost. They have a new arena they are going to have to fill, and winning will definitely help that. As for whether or not he or Tavares becomes 'the main man' or one of a few 'main men' that will play itself out. Bottom line for him is the Isles are on the rise to an elite level and moving to a bigger market where he has a chance of making more in endorsements and other intangibles than he would have had in Buffalo. On the team side, if he clicks with the team and they all win together then the FA stuff will work itself out, he'll get paid and the team's bottom line will improve at the same time. It's all good for him if the team keeps getting better and he busts his ass to play their system. If I were an Isles fan I would be cautiously optimistic, but optimistic nonetheless.

Dumb trade for the isles in my opinion. Obviously of he re-signs with them it's alot better but this trade didnt address their needs as a team. They could have used their assets to bring in some good D or goaltending. Instead they essentially replace Moulson with Vanek who is not much better. Plus Vanek is extremely inconsistent and injury prone. I'm really hoping people don't think this makes the isles a serious threat.

Depends on what they do with him. Is he going to play with Johnny T? Or is he going to play on a different line? If they split them up I think it would work out well for the Isles. Two guys you can build two lines around. Vanek seems like a guy who has been the go to guy on his own line while Moulson just put up big numbers with Tavares. 

Risky trade for the Isles.  Excellent return on assets for the Sabres who can probably flip Moulson for an extra pick/prospect if they wish to boot. 

Risky trade for the Isles.  Excellent return on assets for the Sabres who can probably flip Moulson for an extra pick/prospect if they wish to boot. 

Could be a great thing for Moulson as well. If he proves he can put up his usual numbers away from Tavares, you would think he'd be a highly sought after commodity on the free agent market this offseason and could stand to make more than if he had stayed with the Isles as those questions about his production would've still hung over him.

No way would I have done the trade the Isles did.  Not without a contract extension in place.  As for some of the non believers on here, I think if you take a step back, and look at our recent history RATIONALLY, we can come away with a few things:

1.  It's now a given that Lou's hands have been tied for at least a couple of years due to the financial contraints we were faced with.  By the time the new ownership deal was signed, it was too late to aquire any worthy free agents.

2.  All signs now point to the possibility that the whole Kovy situation may have been a joint effort between player and team.  I'm starting to believe the our financial situation made it necessary to allow Kovy to walk, free and clear.  It turned out to be a win-win.  Doesn't anyone find it interesting that we haven't heard one word...nothing at all from Kovy?

3.  This season is a "let's get through this and then hit the ground running next season" kind of thing.  No doubt we will try to compete, but this is the season we flush the past.

4.  Lou is still the class of of GM that others would give their right arm for.  We've had a ton of success through the years, and it's hard to blame Lou for the situation this team had been put into by ownership.  Hopefully, that will start to change, but I don't understand those who are disrespecting the guy.  I have to believe many of the haters are probably too young to remember what Lou brought to this team.  This team was a joke before Lou arrived.  I'll be crushed when he decides to retire.

5.  I love Marty.  I hope Marty and the team is wise enough to pull back playing time, significantly.  I feel honored to have been able to watch him since day one.  He was the best, EVER.  Sadly, time stands still for no one. 

No way would I have done the trade the Isles did.  Not without a contract extension in place.  As for some of the non believers on here, I think if you take a step back, and look at our recent history RATIONALLY, we can come away with a few things:

1.  It's now a given that Lou's hands have been tied for at least a couple of years due to the financial contraints we were faced with.  By the time the new ownership deal was signed, it was too late to aquire any worthy free agents.

2.  All signs now point to the possibility that the whole Kovy situation may have been a joint effort between player and team.  I'm starting to believe the our financial situation made it necessary to allow Kovy to walk, free and clear.  It turned out to be a win-win.  Doesn't anyone find it interesting that we haven't heard one word...nothing at all from Kovy?

3.  This season is a "let's get through this and then hit the ground running next season" kind of thing.  No doubt we will try to compete, but this is the season we flush the past.

4.  Lou is still the class of of GM that others would give their right arm for.  We've had a ton of success through the years, and it's hard to blame Lou for the situation this team had been put into by ownership.  Hopefully, that will start to change, but I don't understand those who are disrespecting the guy.  I have to believe many of the haters are probably too young to remember what Lou brought to this team.  This team was a joke before Lou arrived.  I'll be crushed when he decides to retire.

5.  I love Marty.  I hope Marty and the team is wise enough to pull back playing time, significantly.  I feel honored to have been able to watch him since day one.  He was the best, EVER.  Sadly, time stands still for no one. 

I was thinking these things too....Kovi was JVB's project, JVB is now gone so goodbye to Kovi and that ridiculous contract etc, retire to Russia, and keep quiet, let the dust settle. Lets pay off all the pending buy-outs (and dont buy out anyone else) Keep the coach till his contract is over, get back to financial stability, let Marty finish his career with the team this year, move on next year and start building a team like he has in the past. 2013-2014 meh, 2014-2015 better, 2015-2016 even better etc

Haha. No team is interested in Lou as GM. They respect what he accomplished but he is older and his approach and model is highly suspect since the prior lockout. But go ahead and keep drinking the KoolAid.

Haha. No team is interested in Lou as GM. They respect what he accomplished but he is older and his approach and model is highly suspect since the prior lockout. But go ahead and keep drinking the KoolAid.

Only reason people wouldn't hire Lou at this point is his age, that's it.  If someone had that resume and was 64, he'd be hired in a second if NJ let him go.

I agree with every point you made.

You're 100% on the money re: all points.