Larsson

Daniel

Yes, yes I do.

I quoted what you said in my post, I know how to read and Gelinas and Larsson were not our best pairing. My comment was more directed at how silly it was to say that they have the potential to be a Suter-Weber level pairing based on their play in 3 games where they were very protected in their match ups.

I still think Matt could have been a good D-man. It really was some bad timing when he broke his ankle and then possibly botched fixing it.  He is gonna have a hard time getting into Tampa's lineup on a routine basis.

I still think Matt could have been a good D-man. It really was some bad timing when he broke his ankle and then possibly botched fixing it.  He is gonna have a hard time getting into Tampa's lineup on a routine basis.

I agree, but calling him the next Rafalski was still reaching. He was always gonna have it hard being such a small guy.

He's got pretty good AHL numbers though. 24 points in 55 games last year. Already has 8 in 5 games this year. Not quite his 50 point rookie season, but good numbers nonetheless.

Yes, yes I do.

I quoted what you said in my post, I know how to read and Gelinas and Larsson were not our best pairing. My comment was more directed at how silly it was to say that they have the potential to be a Suter-Weber level pairing based on their play in 3 games where they were very protected in their match ups.

It's called a bold prediction.

PDB taking sideways shot at Larsson when talking about Gelinas earning his shot at the NHL?

"He’s come up the right way. He’s paid his dues in the minors. He hasn’t been handed any jobs" - See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice#sthash.G0P8Z5zx.dpuf

He's the one who played Larsson at the time. If Larsson didn't pay his dues, it's because he didn't make him do it.

PDB taking sideways shot at Larsson when talking about Gelinas earning his shot at the NHL?

"He’s come up the right way. He’s paid his dues in the minors. He hasn’t been handed any jobs" - See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice#sthash.G0P8Z5zx.dpuf

Reading into things too much imo

Reading into things too much imo

PDB might be taking a shot, but Im not buying the larsson is a victim spin, not one bit!  kid is an NHL player and needs to go 100% all year round. from what Ive seen, he needs a kick in the pants. and he's been getting just that. good for petey.  and it looks like adam is responding now!  his two most solid games... in a row!

PDB might be taking a shot, but Im not buying the larsson is a victim spin, not one bit!  kid is an NHL player and needs to go 100% all year round. from what Ive seen, he needs a kick in the pants. and he's been getting just that. good for petey.  and it looks like adam is responding now!  his two most solid games... in a row!

Adam doesn't seem to be the guy who responds to PDB's style of tough love. Different people need different types of coaching, no matter if they're NHLers or not. I don't know what Stevens is like, but I'd assume he's tougher on players than Robinson who to me seemed to be all about positive reinforcement. 

Adam doesn't seem to be the guy who responds to PDB's style of tough love. Different people need different types of coaching, no matter if they're NHLers or not. I don't know what Stevens is like, but I'd assume he's tougher on players than Robinson who to me seemed to be all about positive reinforcement. 

dont know, but I have a hunch they played it nice nice for a year or more and now they said "too fricken bad"  if the effort isnt up to devils standards he sat, when the effort shows he plays. he's a big boy getting decent pay, time to man up.  either way Im pleased at what Im seeing

Larsson is a couple score sheet performances away from having the kind of confidence that Gelinas has, and that confidence is huge. He has shown that he has the passing ability, defensive ability, and he has a very Rafalski-esque shot that stays low, gets through, and is very deflectable near the net. He just needs to keep playing, keep positive, and respond well to the pressure that is put on him. NJ is going to have some assets on the blue line that will be a real threat in the offensive zone and its going to pay dividends keeping other teams honest 5 on 5 and on the Powerplay. Confidence is the main quality that separates Larsson and Gelinas right now.

I can't help but think maybe Larsson's improved play just comes from the training wheels coming off and not being paired with a player who is there to "look after him". When you put a young guy with an even less experienced guy, they seem to sh!t the bed or mature faster. Definitely looks like Larsson has done some growing up the last few games. Playing like the papa bear not a little cub.

I think what should be intersting is how this shakes out over the next 2-3 season as thet vets either leave or retire. I'm actually pretty excited to see if Merril (sp?) lives up to the hype and if Gelinas is the real deal long term.

Really looking forward to seeing how Merrill does when he gets here. His AHL numbers are really good so far although his sample size is only 30 games or so.

• 2 weeks later...

People upset with Larsson should consider Gudbranson and Luke Schenn - Gudbranson looks like a back-pairing defenseman at age 21 (soon to be 22), and Luke Schenn is a healthy scratch on a bad Philadelphia team.  Top 10 picks aren't locks to be special players. 

Edited by Triumph

dont know, but I have a hunch they played it nice nice for a year or more and now they said "too fricken bad"  if the effort isnt up to devils standards he sat, when the effort shows he plays. he's a big boy getting decent pay, time to man up.  either way Im pleased at what Im seeing

Watch him man up like nobody else!

He's gonna man up all over himself!

People upset with Larsson should consider Gudbranson and Luke Schenn - Gudbranson looks like a back-pairing defenseman at age 21 (soon to be 22), and Luke Schenn is a healthy scratch on a bad Philadelphia team.  Top 10 picks aren't locks to be special players. 

That doesn't make me feel all that better.  It's like telling the Blues that they shouldn't have been disappointed with Erik Johnson because he could have been Alexander Daigle.

The thing makes Schenn such a disaster was that the Flyers gave up on JVR for him.  Especially when it was clear for a lot of people to see that Schenn had all the hallmarks of being a disappointment while he was in Toronto, while JVR was a 20 goal scorer in his second pro year.

EDIT:  And yes I realize that Erik Johnson netted the Blues a pretty good return in a trade, but you get the idea.

Edited by Daniel

That doesn't make me feel all that better. It's like telling the Blues that they shouldn't have been disappointed with Erik Johnson because he could have been Alexander Daigle.

The thing makes Schenn such a disaster was that the Flyers gave up on JVR for him. Especially when it was clear for a lot of people to see that Schenn had all the hallmarks of being a disappointment while he was in Toronto, while JVR was a 20 goal scorer in his second pro year.

The thing that makes Luke Schenn a disaster is that he is actually bad at hockey. Larsson's hockey IQ is off the charts while Schenn's is rather low

That doesn't make me feel all that better.  It's like telling the Blues that they shouldn't have been disappointed with Erik Johnson because he could have been Alexander Daigle.

The thing makes Schenn such a disaster was that the Flyers gave up on JVR for him.  Especially when it was clear for a lot of people to see that Schenn had all the hallmarks of being a disappointment while he was in Toronto, while JVR was a 20 goal scorer in his second pro year.

EDIT:  And yes I realize that Erik Johnson netted the Blues a pretty good return in a trade, but you get the idea.

The point is that players aren't always successful in the top 10 and it's not bad scouting or otherwise that makes that be so or not so.  Brett Connolly hasn't made the Lightning, Ryan Strome hasn't made the Islanders, etc. etc.  You're not guaranteed a star player.

The point is that players aren't always successful in the top 10 and it's not bad scouting or otherwise that makes that be so or not so.  Brett Connolly hasn't made the Lightning, Ryan Strome hasn't made the Islanders, etc. etc.  You're not guaranteed a star player.

You know, man, it could be worse. A woman could cut off your pecker while you're sleeping and toss it out the window of a moving car.

It's been quite clear to me that since he was paired with Gelinas, he's looked much better. I assume he has played softer minutes than when he was paired with Greene, but still. Maybe that's the vote of confidence he needed, to be The Guy on a pairing, rather than be babysat.

• Like 1

It's been quite clear to me that since he was paired with Gelinas, he's looked much better. I assume he has played softer minutes than when he was paired with Greene, but still. Maybe that's the vote of confidence he needed, to be The Guy on a pairing, rather than be babysat.

Yea, it does seem that way. Last night on a partial 3 vs. 2 when he was motioning for gelinas to fade back and get the guys coming in late (led to the shot block that hurt Gelinas) was great communication. Larsson clearly is a heady player and I think putting him with a less experienced player is forcing him to be the one teaching and it is giving him confidence. The best way to learn is to teach.