Patrik Elias

JacobPaul1995

everyone has bad streaks.. when was the last time zajac scored a goal? id like to know.. henrique too he has one for the season so far but when was the last time before that? players have to go out and see what other teams are willing to pay for them (example clarkson) .. at the end of a day it is nothing more then a business to 99% of them forget being loyal here or there it is all about the all mighty dollar just like everything else in this world.

Zajac and Henrique were never projected to be what Patrik was at his best.

Coming off that '05-'06 campaign (and numbers were definitely bloated that year, but Patrik looked terrific that season), it was a stunner how much Patrik struggled when his new deal began.  Bad streaks, sure, but 4 goals in 44 GP isn't just a bad streak...that's a half-season's worth of games of unbelievable futility for a guy who was being paid some serious coin at that time.  Fortunately the Devils were still finding ways to win...if they weren't, he would've gotten hammered a lot harder than he did during that stretch. 

Loyalty is what it is, in all sports...you have your rare Brodeur types who love where they are so much that they don't try to get every last nickel and dime out of their teams, then you have your guys who love where they are, but do want the max of their market value (no hometown discounts), then you have your guys who leave for sentimental reasons (to play in or near their hometown, etc), and then you have the guys who go to the highest bidder.  I don't think there's a right or wrong in these things anymore...I'm not in their position and I can't relate.  It's easy for fans to say things like "Everyone (or almost everyone) should be loyal", but these guys only get so many opportunities to decide where they're going to play...maybe they don't always base their decision on the right criteria, or simply make a bad one, but they at least get to make it one way or another.  When a player is drafted, it's not like he spent his childhood dreaming of playing for the team that took him.  Even if he has success for that team as a developing player, if he decides there's somewhere else he'd rather go, and isn't on a contract, who are we to call him disloyal for exercising a right he's earned?

It's not like they're tons of loyalty coming from the other side either, unless you consider owners who can't help themselves by offering insane long-term deals to whoever happens to be the best UFA on the market "loyal", in that they're making a serious term and money commitment (of course, when those deals start to go south, they start looking for any way they can find to get out of those deals...see Sather, Glen...and of course, the Flyers got out of those Richards and Carter contracts pretty quickly). 

I love Elias.  He's fantastic, smart, skilled

and he's not leading anyone out of a paper bag here.  His maturity has lead him to know he thinks it (leadership) sucks.  It's too confining mentally and he feels too much responsibility to share the truth which no one actually is encouraged to speak - that's the Marty culture.  Put on a happy face and buck everyone up.

Seriously  - that Beezer story in Marty's book said it all to me.  Beez bucks everyone up spouting REAL sh!t!  REAL UNPRODUCTIVE HAPPY HORSEsh!t  <_<   then Marty's panties get all bunched because Stevens says just play hockey.

TRUTH YOU F*CKERS!  It's based on truth, not lack of passion wh.. forget it... :argh:

Patty speaks the truth - just sometimes a littl etoo much from his prospective too much.  So.. Love Elias -- just wish he could lead.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Patrik Elias is my favorite Devil of all-time hands down.  I think he is easily in the top 5 greatest Devils ever, but I would not say #1.

For that I would say it is probably Brodeur with Stevens a close 2nd, then Daneyko, then Elias and then Niedermayer.  Brodeur is not even in my top 10 personal favorite Devils of all time, but when any hockey fan thinks of the Devils, they immediately think of Marty.

No way should Daneyko be higher than Elias.

No way should Daneyko be higher than Elias.

Well in making my list there are 2 criteria: on-ice production and then loyaly/endearment.  Daneyko is light on the first part (thought he was always a solid stay-at-home defenseman), he was heavy on the second part.

Elias is my favorite player of all time in my personal list, I was just trying to do a little bit of seeing how he would rank compared to other Devils based on my two criteria.

I'm in the "to each his own" camp.

Stevens, Brodeur, Elias, Niedermayer, Daneyko - these guys are all top of the line Devils.  I can't argue with anyone who loves them because each brings something totally different to the table and nothing is of less value than anything else.

I suppose because I wasn't really here for the early years I do sort of lump Driver, MacLean, with Holik and Brylin and others kind of second tier.

Shannahan is third tier

The only guy I have trouble with where to put is Madden. 

Edited by Pepperkorn

All I have to say is that when Elias became the all time time point leader for the devils (Possibly the greatest event I have gotten to watch at the Rock) my wife gave me the go to name our son Patrick...we still have the Saint Patrick's day cap floating around our house.

Even though that night will be remembered as Marty's night, that 2nd period was all about Patty. I lost my SH!t when we came out in the green cap.

Edited by newarkdev01
  • Like 1

All I have to say is that when Elias became the all time time point leader for the devils (Possibly the greatest event I have gotten to watch at the Rock) my wife gave me the go to name our son Patrick...we still have the Saint Patrick's day cap floating around our house.

Even though that night will be remembered as Marty's night, that 2nd period was all about Patty. I lost my SH!t when we came out in the green cap.

now if this is true and you actually named your son after the guy.. well that is some other level stuff right there, you sir should be named the ultimate elias fan.

• 4 weeks later...

Hard to claim that he is Mr. Devil for a franchise that has been focused on solid defense before offenseive firepower. Its clear to me that Stevens, Niedermayer and Marty meant more to the franchise. Elias is great, but he's even greater in the minds of Devils fans because he has been the one consistent offensive weapon we've had.

If parise or kovalchuk stayed for the remainder of their careers, elias's legacy may not look as great as it does now (at least to me); because he was never as great as either of them, but was consistetly good, and obviously stayed when they didn't.

Hard to claim that he is Mr. Devil for a franchise that has been focused on solid defense before offenseive firepower. Its clear to me that Stevens, Niedermayer and Marty meant more to the franchise. Elias is great, but he's even greater in the minds of Devils fans because he has been the one consistent offensive weapon we've had.

If parise or kovalchuk stayed for the remainder of their careers, elias's legacy may not look as great as it does now (at least to me); because he was never as great as either of them, but was consistetly good, and obviously stayed when they didn't.

Personally, I think Elias is more skilled than Parise.

Personally, I think Elias is more skilled than Parise.

probably so, but parise brought some things elias didn't. Either way, my arguement was not necessarily based on skill, but moreso the fact that had parise and kovalchuk stayed, elias would not be alone as the only top end forward who spent a siginificant amount of time with the franchise.

I think the fact that he is the ONLY forward who did lends alot to his legacy as a Devil.

PS: I don't want to make it seem that I'm trying to knock Elias... he's my favorite player.

Edited by dmann422

I've always been a huge Elias fan, but I hesitate to label him the second "Mr. Devil."

Daneyko earned that title not only by playing with the New Jersey Devils for his entire career but by going out and promoting the New Jersey Devils brand/name in the media and through fan relations. He bleeds the red, black and blue.

As far as on the ice, Elias is a New Jersey Devil through and through. But as far as off the ice, I've found Patrik to be a bit mercurial in that regard.

Brodeur might have more of a claim to being the second Mr. Devil than does Elias IMO. Although I admire them both.

I'm not sure how old you are or if you got to watch the A-Line years but Elias in his prime was a better player than either Parise or Kovy IMO. Hell, even the last few years I think he's been more important to the team by making guys like Rolston, clarkson and an over the hill Sykora successful while the other two played on the "top line".

I'm not sure how old you are or if you got to watch the A-Line years but Elias in his prime was a better player than either Parise or Kovy IMO. Hell, even the last few years I think he's been more important to the team by making guys like Rolston, clarkson and an over the hill Sykora successful while the other two played on the "top line".

this right here.. he's most definitely one of those guys that makes the players around him better

Wow I'm starting to feel like stereodesign where nobody understands what I'm trying to say.

My point had nothing to do with skill. It was solely to point out that Elias IMO is elevated to an even greater level because he is the only top end forward to spend any significant amount of time with the franchise.

I don't care enough to argue who is better than who, although I am old enough to remember well before the a line days and I don't disagree that Elias is better than parise or kovy. But had either of them stayed (regardless of whether they are better or not), Elias's stature as the only great forward the franchise held onto would no longer exist.

Wow I'm starting to feel like stereodesign where nobody understands what I'm trying to say.

My point had nothing to do with skill. It was solely to point out that Elias IMO is elevated to an even greater level because he is the only top end forward to spend any significant amount of time with the franchise.

I don't care enough to argue who is better than who, although I am old enough to remember well before the a line days and I don't disagree that Elias is better than parise or kovy. But had either of them stayed (regardless of whether they are better or not), Elias's stature as the only great forward the franchise held onto would no longer exist.

I got what you were getting at once you clarified. Although I think Kovy was the more skilled forward in terms of physical skill, Elias has a hockey IQ that's off the charts, which is what makes him so good.

If Parise had stayed his whole career or signed an 8 year deal with us, he'd without a doubt be up there with Elias, especially if we won a Cup with him. Of course that never happened, so he can go screw himself. lol.

Elias has been a good-to-very good player for his career.  On another team, he could've had more points, maybe 50-60 more overall.  But he's not the kind of guy who jumps out at you if you're not a Devils fan.  If voters are able to see that Elias often brought more to the Devils than point totals (he's a +193 for his career), he may get into the Hall.  Getting to 1000 points (he needs 63 more) will probably help his cause, even more so if voters take into account that he wasn't always playing with the best offensive linemates or guys who complemented his game well.

Brodeur is going to go down as one of the best ever to play his position, a first-ballot Hall-Of-Famer.  Yes, he had some seasons where his regular season save%s were kind of meh, but like Daneyko has said, when you needed a big save, Brodeur would often come up with it, and in the '95, '00, and '03 Cup runs, he raised his game significantly (he was up and down in '01).  He did the same in 2012. 

Anyway, yes, Elias in the context of Devils hockey has been a terrific player, but there's a reason why Brodeur is thought of first among most.  Elias is a very good player.  Brodeur is one of the best of both his generation and the history of the NHL.     

IMO Elias has been our best forward for the duration. He is my favorite over all.

I do think today when you say NJ Devils you and everyone thinks Marty Brodeur.

because of all of the records he holds and what hes done he is the face of the team hes been around for a long time now as well.. and rightfully so he deserves to be the face of the team