Chico stepping down after this season?

95Crash

From meeting and talking to Chico numerous times, and a few times for a couple hours, I can say with certainty, he'd EASILY be the best poster here if he ever learned how to use a computer.  Just mention the Volchenkov contract to get him going...

Yeah, he definitely surprised me with his brutal honestly about Zubrus...really sounded like just another fan.  Definitely not a company man. 

Sometimes I suspect Chico lurks here given how he talks about some subjects.  Whatever the case, I like him despite thinking it's probably best that he step away from the mic soon.  He's probably stepping down not because of age or possibly being 'fired' by the new owners but because the Devils changed their goal song.

It's interesting Chico cited being 65...that's much the same thing Doc said when he left the Devils.

It'd be a shame to lose him as a person and as a character.  Even if you get the not-so-occasional off the reservation goofball moment. But yeah he can call it like it is, he was the first one to really hint that Parise was all but gone (probably because he's buddies with JP). 

It's interesting Chico cited being 65...that's much the same thing Doc said when he left the Devils.

It'd be a shame to lose him as a person and as a character.  Even if you get the not-so-occasional off the reservation goofball moment. But yeah he can call it like it is, he was the first one to really hint that Parise was all but gone (probably because he's buddies with JP). 

Not doubting you but when did Chico hint that Parise was all but gone?

lol im seriously just curious.

Not doubting you but when did Chico hint that Parise was all but gone?

lol im seriously just curious.

Skeeter reported it a while back...said Chico told him that going into Parise's final season, Zach had basically said to hell with the Devils, that he had felt that the organization was a lot more into doing whatever it took to keep Kovy happy over him, that they had put all of their eggs into Kovy's basket at his expense.  Something along those lines.  But nothing Chico had said on-air or publicly. 

If the team wanted a homer to do color, they might have just kept Chico.

Thats great bobby but we dont have dance dance revolution sooooo youre dumb...

Theres no debate, dano will be the next color guy if he wants the job. Are you under the impression that there are color guys employed by a team that arent homers? Haha

And no the team cant keep chico because hes moving on to other things......as per the article.....

Dano will be a great color guy, hes great on HNL, and hes one of the few announcers out there who give honest opinions and isnt afraid to offend some people. Along with the likes of a keith hernandez or a chico

Skeeter reported it a while back...said Chico told him that going into Parise's final season, Zach had basically said to hell with the Devils, that he had felt that the organization was a lot more into doing whatever it took to keep Kovy happy over him, that they had put all of their eggs into Kovy's basket at his expense.  Something along those lines.  But nothing Chico had said on-air or publicly. 

ah ok thanks

Thats great bobby but we dont have dance dance revolution sooooo youre dumb...

Theres no debate, dano will be the next color guy if he wants the job. Are you under the impression that there are color guys employed by a team that arent homers? Haha

And no the team cant keep chico because hes moving on to other things......as per the article.....

Dano will be a great color guy, hes great on HNL, and hes one of the few announcers out there who give honest opinions and isnt afraid to offend some people. Along with the likes of a keith hernandez or a chico

I was being sarcastic so take it easy there.

Also while every color guy is a homer, Dano is almost as huge of blatent homer as Chico.  Chico at times reaches the John Sterling level of absurdity when he analyzes plays to where he see things one way when video obviously shows another way.  Dano is close to that and even on HNL he is subtly ridiculed by the other analysts in his blatent homerism.

It's nice to hear Dano and Chico be there for the Devils as well as whatever replacement color guy they get.  But again when you get into the John Sterling realm of absurdity, it can become annoying and embarassing real quick.

I wonder how a guy like Bruce Driver or Jim Dowd would do there. They're both well-spoken, Driver's always been extremely knowledgeable about the game, Dowd's a Jersey guy and Driver still lives here all these years later.

Would be interesting to see.  I think Driver and Dowd have too much going on in their personal lives in NJ to really spend half the year on the road with the Devils at this point though.

Actually he did make certain comments on air iirc...a bit more vague than the above obviously, but enough to think (in hindsight) that he knew something.  Basically just that from people he talked to he didn't think the chances were great of Parise returning, I don't remember what else he specifically said if anything.  It was during one of the early season games, maybe against Nashville.

Edited by NJDevs4978

First of all, any of you all "HATING" Chico need to take a step back and relax.  In today's day and age when athletes refuse to tie their own shoes because they're coddled like no one's business, Chico's sense of "homer-ism" and being down-to-earth and genuine is quite refreshing.

It puts a face and personality, not to mention, helps normal JOES like me and you relate to a business that we have no business relating to. 

Granted, perhaps his "technical" ability as an actual commentator isn't something destined for a broadcasting manual at Boston University, however, he more than makes up for it with his, well, you know, - COLOR!  When the Devils are sucking @ss, I look no further than to hear what Chico has to say about it.  He is critical about the team, with a great degree of candor, but does it with a smile on his face.

I am a Chico fan forever, and so if someone dares to knock him, they need to go through me first! :-)

But, if Chico indeed is leaving on his own terms, for which I wish him the best of times and peace growing old with his wife, this would be my shortlist for replacements:

Long Shot Considerations (for giggles):

1.  Marty Lyons

2.  Mike Francessa

3.  Cam Janssen

4.  Scott Gomez

5.  Ilya Kovalchuk

6.  Gary Thorne

Serious Considerations:

1.  Martin Brodeur

2.  Jim Dowd

3.  Ken Daneyko

4.  Kevin Weekes

5.  Brian Rafalski

Get Rid OF:

1.  Matt Laughlin

2.  Steve Cangelosi

Edited by Mitico12

A guy I work with told me jim dowd is running some pyramid scheme having to do with electric or something.

This is true.  A friend of mine ran into him at the arena restaurant and he tried to rope him into it.  He even gets text messages from Dowd telling him to come to meetings at his house.

This is true. A friend of mine ran into him at the arena restaurant and he tried to rope him into it. He even gets text messages from Dowd telling him to come to meetings at his house.

Lmfao, I don't know why I can't stop laughing at the thought of Jimmy Dowd running a pyramid scheme, but I'm seriously dying over here. I knew a dude who tried to get me involved with a pyramid scheme back in the day doing the same thing, texting me to come to meetings at his house. Pyramid scheme dudes are shady characters lol.

Lmfao, I don't know why I can't stop laughing at the thought of Jimmy Dowd running a pyramid scheme, but I'm seriously dying over here. I knew a dude who tried to get me involved with a pyramid scheme back in the day doing the same thing, texting me to come to meetings at his house. Pyramid scheme dudes are shady characters lol.

Yo, it's multi level marketing, not a pyramid scheme. LOL.

Yeah, he definitely surprised me with his brutal honestly about Zubrus...really sounded like just another fan. Definitely not a company man.

Yeah I've met Chico a couple of times as well and I was shocked by how blunt he was in his honesty regarding the team compared to the way he is on TV as well. He does a good job of being professional and giving credit to the other team (sometimes too much credit to the point that I want to shatter my TV depending on the way the Devils are playing). I will be there for Chico night and wish him nothing but the best in retirement. A true Devil.