2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

Per TG, Volchenkov to IR, Merrill to Albany.

Does this mean Salvador's back?  Hopefully not..  :noclue:

Also at yesterday's practice, DeBoer had Larsson paired with Harrold and Gelinas paired with Fayne. Not sure I like breaking up Larsson and Gelinas.

Gelinas hasn't looked good for the past few games unfortunately, might be time to change it up for him.

On the other hand, however, Larsson has looked really good.  Hopefully he can keep it up with Harrold.  If Larsson starts to falter, hopefully PDB uses his brain and puts him back with Gelinas.

Does this mean Salvador's back? Hopefully not.. :noclue:

Gelinas hasn't looked good for the past few games unfortunately, might be time to change it up for him.

On the other hand, however, Larsson has looked really good. Hopefully he can keep it up with Harrold. If Larsson starts to falter, hopefully PDB uses his brain and puts him back with Gelinas.

Salvador isn't skating yet per TG. No one is getting called up (for the moment anyway) and we're rolling with 6 D.

That's also according to TG.

I imagine the Devils want Merrill to get in some games. Which defenseman would be called up from the AHL?

I think it would be Helgeson.  I mean, there's not many NHL contracts left down there - just him, Burlon, Scarlett, and Hraberenka.

As for breaking up Larsson and Gelinas, I'm in favor - it's time to take the kid gloves off on Larsson, he's playing too well to be relegated to that role.

I think it would be Helgeson.  I mean, there's not many NHL contracts left down there - just him, Burlon, Scarlett, and Hraberenka.

As for breaking up Larsson and Gelinas, I'm in favor - it's time to take the kid gloves off on Larsson, he's playing too well to be relegated to that role.

Agreed, but I'm not sure what Deboer or Stevens think. It's not abnormal for Gelinas to get more time than AL, sometimes by 3+ minutes

Last 5 games- 

Pitt- Larsson (15:56) Gelinas (18:30)

LA- L (17:01) G (16:46)

NYR- L (17:06) G (20:24)

NSH- L (17:07) G (19:44)

TOR- L (18:35) G (16:28)

Now, it's obvious that Larsson is the better dman and was carrying that pair at ES.  Gelinas gets a lot of PP time whereas Larsson sees a decent amount shorthanded. Difference shouldn't be that large though. 

Agreed, but I'm not sure what Deboer or Stevens think. It's not abnormal for Gelinas to get more time than AL, sometimes by 3+ minutes

Last 5 games- 

Pitt- Larsson (15:56) Gelinas (18:30)

LA- L (17:01) G (16:46)

NYR- L (17:06) G (20:24)

NSH- L (17:07) G (19:44)

TOR- L (18:35) G (16:28)

Now, it's obvious that Larsson is the better dman and was carrying that pair at ES.  Gelinas gets a lot of PP time whereas Larsson sees a decent amount shorthanded. Difference shouldn't be that large though. 

Larsson hasn't been getting much time shorthanded in the last few games, that's part of where the difference is.  Also I think in games NJ trails, the Devils pair Gelinas with Zidlicky for some offensive zone draws.

Why do you see that as taking off the kid gloves?  If anything, pairing Larsson with a rookie would be an indication that De Boer trusts Larsson more to carry his own weight. 

If it's at the cost of a few extra shifts, I don't mind.  As Gelinas gets better, the two should get more icetime.   And by next year, there's going to be no choice but to give Larsson 20+ minutes per game. 

Why do you see that as taking off the kid gloves?  If anything, pairing Larsson with a rookie would be an indication that De Boer trusts Larsson more to carry his own weight. 

If it's at the cost of a few extra shifts, I don't mind.  As Gelinas gets better, the two should get more icetime.   And by next year, there's going to be no choice but to give Larsson 20+ minutes per game. 

Gelinas will get lots of o-zone starts and if you pair him with Larsson that'll give Larsson 'soft minutes'. Gelinas should get those zone starts because of his shot but Larsson is playing very well and some might see him used better in a role with tougher minutes/more d-zone starts. 

I personally think they should let things be as they've been. Team is winning more often than not and Larsson is starting to look real good. No need to change things just yet.

in fairness he was playing during the early part of the season when the whole team was a mess.....lets see what happens when he's back in the lineup

He can take his time, as far as I'm concerned. Sitting anyone except harrold for Sal would be foolish imo

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

How sad is that?

I absolutely hate the idea of playing anyone that you are scared to use in the 3rd or only want to play 4 minutes.

Jacob Josefson is scratched for many games for Cam, but the coach has no issue playing him 10-15min, but his replacement can only play 4?

Edited by devilsrule33

If Gionta is gonna miss significant time, Josefson has to be the guy to replace him.  I do believe the Janssen honeymoon has run out.  Time for Tedenby.  I do wonder though if Janssen ignited this team.  I think we went 6-2-1 with him in the lineup.

If there was some tangible evidence (oh wait there isn't) to this he should be traded. Sell high.

While I think Deboer runs a pretty progressive system, it's clear he believes there is a place in the league for goons (which there isnt).  He believes Janssen adds something on the ice and will keep him in over the likes of Josefson and Tedenby.  I don't think the latter has a positive impact, but at least he is capable of playing 10 minutes a night, something Janssen is not.  When Gionta went down, the Devils were shuffling 10 forwards for half of the game.  That is not acceptable against strong teams, on the road and when you are fatigued. Deboer needs to get Janssen out of there ASAP. It's becoming a bit of a joke

Like I have been saying we need to give joe Whitney a shot. He's got 20 points in 19 games with Albany. We are starving for offense in the worst way, he can't be worse than Cam or Tedenby so with Gionta hurt - why not try it? We have a roster spot. Just give the guy a shot.

Zubrus-Zajac-Jagr

Whitney-Elias-Ryder

Brunner-Loktionov-Henrique

Carter-Josefson-Bernier