2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

I strongly disagree.

Being jerked in and out of the line up and being scrutinized for your every move isn't easy as a 21 or 22 year old. Gionta isn't good at any facet of the game. Even Josefson not providing offense will at least make the better defensive reads and he is much better in passing and possession.

Why would players in the locker room roll their eyes? Guys like Gionta always tend to be popular in the locker room, it doesn't mean they are good. Some of the most popular players on teams I played on were the sh!tty guys because they brought "energy."

The team's problem is not defense. Gionta is a big part of a penalty kill that is one of the best in the league. The Devils are among the best at preventing shots and goals.

Again, this team cannot score goals. Pick Josefson or Gionta out of hat, and it wouldn't matter.

At most, one can argue that DeBoer has stunted the development of a good prospect. I'm not really qualified to say whether he's just not very good, as it sometimes goes for bottom half of the first round picks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The team's problem is not defense. Gionta is a big part of a penalty kill that is one of the best in the league. The Devils are among the best at preventing shots and goals.

Again, this team cannot score goals. Pick Josefson or Gionta out of hat, and it wouldn't matter.

At most, one can argue that DeBoer has stunted the development of a good prospect. I'm not really qualified to say whether he's just not very good, as it sometimes goes for bottom half of the first round picks.

Of course the offense is the problem for this team but that's not what we are talking about here so I'm not sure where you are going with that. The point remains that Josefson is better than Gionta. It's maddening that the team would rather choose to have a player in the NHL for nepotism than develop a young player who is actually better at this point in time. Stephen Gionta is a NHL player because of his last name and a coach that has a fetish for him.

Gionta has had the worse passing accuracy on the team and his passes result in the least amount of shot attempts. Josefson has been far better than him, playing sporadically and with Janssen most of the time. Josefson is also much better at exiting the zone and helping the Devils retain possession than Gionta who is pretty horrible. Add this in with Josefson being better defensively and I'm frustrated to see him rotting away in the stands.

Of course the offense is the problem for this team but that's not what we are talking about here so I'm not sure where you are going with that. The point remains that Josefson is better than Gionta. It's maddening that the team would rather choose to have a player in the NHL for nepotism than develop a young player who is actually better at this point in time. Stephen Gionta is a NHL player because of his last name and a coach that has a fetish for him.

Gionta has had the worse passing accuracy on the team and his passes result in the least amount of shot attempts. Josefson has been far better than him, playing sporadically and with Janssen most of the time. Josefson is also much better at exiting the zone and helping the Devils retain possession than Gionta who is pretty horrible. Add this in with Josefson being better defensively and I'm frustrated to see him rotting away in the stands.

My point is that Josefson is not really significantly better than Gionta, and even if he is, it just does not matter. (He's a big part of the penalty kill that is the best in the league, so he must be doing something right). It's almost like having a debate about whether we'd be better off with Janssen or Aaron Ashem. Maybe Ashem will provide a little more offense, but it doesn't make the team any better or worse.

So if there's something to the rest of the players liking Gionta and him being good for morale, I'll take that over maybe the very marginal improvement that maybe Josefson would bring in the measurable things.

Asham, with an a. 

Josefson really didn't have a good start to the year.  The trouble is that Gionta's offense is staggeringly bad, and Josefson's shouldn't be.

IMO Josefson hasn't been given a long enough try with decent line mates, he has been screwed by DeBoer and S. Gionta doesn't belong in the NHL he is a lifetime AHL player.

Asham, with an a.

Josefson really didn't have a good start to the year. The trouble is that Gionta's offense is staggeringly bad, and Josefson's shouldn't be.

And relatedly, it'll be interesting if the new "stat guy" the Devils have supposedly brought in will pick up on this and that Lou will follow his advice and not offer Gio a new deal, or at least a deal that Gio would be willing to accept.

My point is that Josefson is not really significantly better than Gionta, and even if he is, it just does not matter. (He's a big part of the penalty kill that is the best in the league, so he must be doing something right). It's almost like having a debate about whether we'd be better off with Janssen or Aaron Ashem. Maybe Ashem will provide a little more offense, but it doesn't make the team any better or worse.

So if there's something to the rest of the players liking Gionta and him being good for morale, I'll take that over maybe the very marginal improvement that maybe Josefson would bring in the measurable things.

Except he is. I just gave links that show Josefson has been better than Gionta in passing and zone exits. The Devils PK may be solid but is Gionta really that much of an asset? Especially over Josefson? Gionta has the worst Goals Against per 20 minutes rate on the Devils PK for any Devils forward by a decent amount. He's also the 5th most used forward on the PK in ice time per game. Josefson averages roughly the same amount of SH time when he plays yet has a better goals against rate. Gionta actually has the 9th worst Goals Against per 20 minutes rate for forwards in the NHL. Gionta seems to be the weak link there.

Gionta being well liked in the locker room defintely doesn't make up for his on ice play. I doubt it really makes his teammates play that much better.

IMO Josefson hasn't been given a long enough try with decent line mates, he has been screwed by DeBoer and S. Gionta doesn't belong in the NHL he is a lifetime AHL player.

Amen. I don't know how many points DeBoer was expecting him to put up with Janssen and playing 10 minutes a night.

• Like 1

Except he is. I just gave links that show Josefson has been better than Gionta in passing and zone exits. The Devils PK may be solid but is Gionta really that much of an asset? Especially over Josefson? Gionta has the worst Goals Against per 20 minutes rate on the Devils PK for any Devils forward by a decent amount. He's also the 5th most used forward on the PK in ice time per game. Josefson averages roughly the same amount of SH time when he plays yet has a better goals against rate. Gionta actually has the 9th worst Goals Against per 20 minutes rate for forwards in the NHL. Gionta seems to be the weak link there.

Gionta being well liked in the locker room defintely doesn't make up for his on ice play. I doubt it really makes his teammates play that much better.

Amen. I don't know how many points DeBoer was expecting him to put up with Janssen and playing 10 minutes a night.

I'm not really disputing that Josefson is probably better, or at least I didn't mean to give that impression.

My point is that Josefson won't make the team better in any significant way. Maybe he would better on the PK, but it's hard to make the PK any better than it already is. He might be better defensively at even strength, but again, it's hard for the Devils to get any better if you're basing defensive play on shots against.

Offense is really where you want significant improvement, and Josefson isn't really going to advance the ball in that area so much that it'll impact the bottom line.

Getting upset over Gionta's playing time is really just a distraction.

I'm not really disputing that Josefson is probably better, or at least I didn't mean to give that impression.

My point is that Josefson won't make the team better in any significant way. Maybe he would better on the PK, but it's hard to make the PK any better than it already is. He might be better defensively at even strength, but again, it's hard for the Devils to get any better if you're basing defensive play on shots against.

Offense is really where you want significant improvement, and Josefson isn't really going to advance the ball in that area so much that it'll impact the bottom line.

Getting upset over Gionta's playing time is really just a distraction.

Considering the Devils don't have any quality offensive forward prospects, unless you are high on Boucher, they should be trying to work Josefson and Loktionov into the line up. Letting a career AHLer with a last name play over them while they rot in the stands is irresponsible. I guess it doesn't matter at this point, Loktionov is probably going to the KHL next year and Josefson's days in NJ are numbered. But hey, we're keeping Stephen Gionta happy and can re-sign him to another 2 year deal for DeBoer. Hooray asset management.

Edited by thefiestygoat
  • Like 1

Considering the Devils don't have any quality offensive forward prospects, unless you are high on Boucher, they should be trying to work Josefson and Loktionov into the line up. Letting a career AHLer with a last name play over them while they rot in the stands is irresponsible. I guess it doesn't matter at this point, Loktionov is probably going to the KHL next year and Josefson's days in NJ are numbered. But hey, we're keeping Stephen Gionta happy and can re-sign him to another 2 year deal for DeBoer. Hooray asset management.

That point I won't really argue.

EDIT: The only place where I'll differ is that I'm not that worried about Josefson going back to Sweden if Lou really wants to keep him. Loktionov is a different story.

Edited by Daniel

Appears Janssen is on waivers, Brunner and Harrold back. Gelinas-Merrill as 4th pairing in practice atm, Greene-Fayne, Harrold-Volchenkov, Salvador-Zidlicky...

Posted Image

Oh God Harrold is back... Great. Another guy that just needs to get the hell out of here that Lou refuses to get rid of. Great. At least Brunner's back.

That's how RC posted the d-pairings, I wouldn't read too much into who's playing/not yet. I still think Gelinas-Merrill gets in over Volchie-Harrold - They will go with that forward group if all 12 are in tomorrow. Obviously who gets scratched from D.

What leads me to think that Harrold and Volchie will be extras is, to put in Harrold you need to take out 2 defenseman if they are going with six. Are they really going to take out Gelians and Merrill guys who have played well as of late and are producing for Volchie who played under 9 minutes the other night. Harrold also hasn't played in months, so one practice they aren't going to put him in.

That's how RC posted the d-pairings, I wouldn't read too much into who's playing/not yet. I still think Gelinas-Merrill gets in over Volchie-Harrold - They will go with that forward group if all 12 are in tomorrow. Obviously who gets scratched from D.

What leads me to think that Harrold and Volchie will be extras is, to put in Harrold you need to take out 2 defenseman if they are going with six. Are they really going to take out Gelians and Merrill guys who have played well as of late and are producing for Volchie who played under 9 minutes the other night. Harrold also hasn't played in months, so one practice they aren't going to put him in.

This is Pete DeBoer we're talking about. He'll assuredly do something mind-boggling to get Harrold back in the lineup.

so whats the orgs strategy here with larsson? are they this down on the kid? is it his attitude? WTF?

There's a strategy?    He was playing, he got hurt, and they have no idea how to clear a roster spot for him, so he'll be making $920 a game until March since they'll be breaking soon anyway.