2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

so whats the orgs strategy here with larsson? are they this down on the kid? is it his attitude? WTF?

Sending him to Albany to get his game up to speed was a no-brainer. They can't do it with Harrold/Salvador/Volchenkov. I necessarily don't like that Larsson is in Albany but I don't think it hurts him one bit..

Sending him to Albany to get his game up to speed was a no-brainer. They can't do it with Harrold/Salvador/Volchenkov. I necessarily don't like that Larsson is in Albany but I don't think it hurts him one bit..

They could conditioning stint Harrold if they wanted to, but they have a roster crunch too.   With Harrold, I'd prefer the conditioning stint that may get him claimed on waivers, if someone was drunk at the time.

There's a strategy?    He was playing, he got hurt, and they have no idea how to clear a roster spot for him, so he'll be making $920 a game until March since they'll be breaking soon anyway.

There is clearly a strategy - Larsson will be playing in the AHL during the Olympic Break.  I imagine Gelinas and Merrill will be too.

They could get a conditioning stint for Harrold, and they may well end up doing that in the future.

I'd love to say I'd be even remotely shocked if Harrold plays tomorrow, however.....

We all know DeBoer is absolutely in love with the [insert expletive here] player who shouldn't be on ANY NHL roster and will start him while also giving him 29 minutes.

Harrold sucks, DeBoer sucks at managing the lineup, hello early golfing season.

That HF cover is pretty funny...not 100% fair or accurate, but still funny. 

I'd love to say I'd be even remotely shocked if Harrold plays tomorrow, however.....

We all know DeBoer is absolutely in love with the [insert expletive here] player who shouldn't be on ANY NHL roster and will start him while also giving him 29 minutes.

Harrold sucks, DeBoer sucks at managing the lineup, hello early golfing season.

Oh you know Harrold's playing tomorrow. You can write it in pen. Gelinas and Merrill will both be scratched. You can bet your bottom dollar on it.

Except he is. I just gave links that show Josefson has been better than Gionta in passing and zone exits. The Devils PK may be solid but is Gionta really that much of an asset? Especially over Josefson? Gionta has the worst Goals Against per 20 minutes rate on the Devils PK for any Devils forward by a decent amount. He's also the 5th most used forward on the PK in ice time per game. Josefson averages roughly the same amount of SH time when he plays yet has a better goals against rate. Gionta actually has the 9th worst Goals Against per 20 minutes rate for forwards in the NHL. Gionta seems to be the weak link there.

Gionta being well liked in the locker room defintely doesn't make up for his on ice play. I doubt it really makes his teammates play that much better.

I'm don't know much about advanced stats but I find them very interesting. Just curious if Salvador has any good or bad league-wide stats. Everyone (including me) hates his play this season. Was wondering if the advances stats back up that opinion.

What's the number of games players have to stay under to play in the AHL during the Olympics?

http://www.syracuse.com/crunch/index.ssf/2014/01/syracuse_crunch_and_other_ahl_teams_governed_by_specific_nhl_transaction_rules_d.html

It's complicated, but here goes:  Anyone who is not waiver eligible and has A: spent 87 or more days on an NHL roster this season and B: is on the NHL roster as of January 24th can't play in the AHL during the break.  I counted and I think Gelinas is barely under 87 right now.  Larsson is at 85.  Merrill will be close, I don't have his exact numbers right now.  But if you are above 87, you can still play in the AHL during the break, provided you go down before January 24th and stay there the whole time. In addition, a player who has played 16 of the team's final 20 games can't play in the AHL.  

So what NJ could do is bring Larsson up after January 24th, and he would still be eligible to play in the AHL during the break.

Edited by Triumph

I'm don't know much about advanced stats but I find them very interesting. Just curious if Salvador has any good or bad league-wide stats. Everyone (including me) hates his play this season. Was wondering if the advances stats back up that opinion.

Using a minimum of 50 minutes played 4v5 for D...

In terms of Goals Allowed per 20 minutes the Devils D ranks are from best to worst are Greene (19th), Fayne (21st), Salvador (30th), and Volchenkov (33rd) out of 129 NHL D, so by that metric they are doing well.

Looking at those guys shots against rates and fenwick against rates they all tend to rank well with Salvador being towards the middle of the pack or slightly lower compared to the rest of his NHL peers.

The Devils as a team have a high save percentage, don't allow many shots or shot attempts against while shorthanded so it seems like all the D are doing their job. Unlike with the F's and Gionta it doesn't seem like any of the Devils usual D that kill penalties are a real weak link in the group though when you add in 5v5 play and the young guys like Merrill that are up, then Salvador is certainly replaceable.

There is clearly a strategy - Larsson will be playing in the AHL during the Olympic Break.  I imagine Gelinas and Merrill will be too.

OK, that's a decent strategy, How many games do they need in Albany to be eligible to play over the break? and do they need to already be down in Albany at the time of the break?

oops, just saw the above post

Edited by EdgeControl

Except Larsson's technically still down on conditioning assignment.  And they kind of need to win games, so they can't really afford to screw around too much with the lineup.

Plus I don't really think they give a hoot about things like that after they needlessly burned a year of Matteau's service time last year playing him a bunch of eight-minute nights.

I fear that Fayne may end up getting sat at some point for Harrold.

I think he's actually out of the doghouse now...Pete even admitted he realized Fayne's play suffered when he's shuffled in and out of the lineup so now he's taking great pains to keep him in the lineup ironically enough.  Gelinas'll be the one to go when Harrold comes back, especially since he (Harrold) gets used on the PP and will take Gelinas's spot there :P

Except Larsson's technically still down on conditioning assignment.  And they kind of need to win games, so they can't really afford to screw around too much with the lineup.

Plus I don't really think they give a hoot about things like that after they needlessly burned a year of Matteau's service time last year playing him a bunch of eight-minute nights.

larsson's not on a conditioning stint - he is officially in the AHL. he was sent down and is off the roster. activating brunner is why janssen is removed from the roster. when it comes harrold's time, they'll have to send someone else down (or IR, cut, etc).

if i had to guess, larsson and harrold both are on the Devils no later than 1/25 and merrill and gelinas are sent down so they can play during the olympic break.

what they do AFTER the olympic break will be very interesting indeed.

larsson's not on a conditioning stint - he is officially in the AHL. he was sent down and is off the roster. activating brunner is why janssen is removed from the roster. when it comes harrold's time, they'll have to send someone else down (or IR, cut, etc).

if i had to guess, larsson and harrold both are on the Devils no later than 1/25 and merrill and gelinas are sent down so they can play during the olympic break.

what they do AFTER the olympic break will be very interesting indeed.

Tell that to Chere.

Larsson is actually not on IR. He isn't back from his rehab stint with Albany (AHL) yet.

I think the only 'plan' is to keep dragging their feet on making a move until after the break and THEN start making decisions. The deadline is only a week after the break ends anyway.

Back to the Josefson/Gionta discussion...

All you need to think about is the difference in Loktionov's production this year as compared to last year. He hasn't done much playing on the fourth line, but was one of our better offensive players at times last year. Same reason Josefson can't do anything while playing with Janssen.

I just don't think it's fair that Boucher has had so many opportunities to excel in the top 6. Seemingly every other promising forward prospect for the Devils has had those opportunities recently, too. I may be alone here, but literally every time I've seen Josefson play with decent linemates, he has looked good. Definitely better than Gionta, and probably better than some of the others in our bottom 6.

Tell that to Chere.

Larsson is actually not on IR. He isn't back from his rehab stint with Albany (AHL) yet.

I think the only 'plan' is to keep dragging their feet on making a move until after the break and THEN start making decisions. The deadline is only a week after the break ends anyway.

while he may call it a "rehab stint", it doesn't change the fact he is completely off the NHL roster which is what i was intimating.

Back to the Josefson/Gionta discussion...

All you need to think about is the difference in Loktionov's production this year as compared to last year. He hasn't done much playing on the fourth line, but was one of our better offensive players at times last year. Same reason Josefson can't do anything while playing with Janssen.

I just don't think it's fair that Boucher has had so many opportunities to excel in the top 6. Seemingly every other promising forward prospect for the Devils has had those opportunities recently, too. I may be alone here, but literally every time I've seen Josefson play with decent linemates, he has looked good. Definitely better than Gionta, and probably better than some of the others in our bottom 6.

I'm a big Loktionov supporter and I think DeBoer started out the season thinking that way too but he faltered early in the year.  He really hasn't spent that much time on the 4th line - he's averaging 12 minutes a game.  His most common linemates are Zubrus, Jagr, Ryder, and Brunner.  He wasn't a particularly good scorer in the AHL either but he should be doing better than he is - he doesn't get enough shots.

I really think NJ should target Colton Sceviour from Dallas for multiple reasons.

- He is coming up on waiver eligibility and with no spot on the Dallas roster, there is zero chance he passes waivers.

- He is excellent in shootouts going 14 for 30 in his career at the AHL level.

- He shoots a ton! To the tune of 4.4 shots per game in AHL and 2.75 at the NHL level in under 13 minutes a night

- He has experience playing center at the AHL level so I imagine his defense can't be Chaisson bad on the wing.

Edit: I guess he has passed through waivers already and it alarms me how.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Except he is. I just gave links that show Josefson has been better than Gionta in passing and zone exits. The Devils PK may be solid but is Gionta really that much of an asset? Especially over Josefson? Gionta has the worst Goals Against per 20 minutes rate on the Devils PK for any Devils forward by a decent amount. He's also the 5th most used forward on the PK in ice time per game. Josefson averages roughly the same amount of SH time when he plays yet has a better goals against rate. Gionta actually has the 9th worst Goals Against per 20 minutes rate for forwards in the NHL. Gionta seems to be the weak link there.

I don't know much about advanced statistics so I could be wrong but isn't pk time over 50 games a bit of a small sample size- if gionta averages 1:45 pk toi that's about 70 minutes over the entire season, a few goals here or there can really sway the results.

Also one of giontas benefits is he draws a ton of penalties (the most on the team last year). I'm don't necessarily disagree that josefson should be playing over gionta but I don't know if it's clear cut.

I fear that Fayne may end up getting sat at some point for Harrold.

I know Pete has made some head scratching decisions in the past but with the way he's played Fayne I can't believe he'd sit him now. Fayne has been a great partner for Greene and he trusts him on the pk, which if Merrill and gelinas stick around is needed.