2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

To be honest between Salvador and Volchenkov, Salvador played better last time he was on the ice.

I'd rather both sit and we bring up Larson, but I actually don't mind sal in over volch if sal maintains the level of play he had last game.

"I don't think it's necessarily an accurate statement to say (Brodeur) is not the No, 1 guy," DeBoer said. "I think Cory grabbed the ball here prior to the Olympic break and ran with it for a while. Prior to that, Marty ran with it for a while.

"So I think it's been there for either of them to grab and they have at different respective times. And that's the case moving forward."

23-player roster limit done for rest of season, but Devils not callng up any other players at this time.

You win Lou.  I give up.

Edited by Devilsfan118

When is Larsson gonna get called back up?

To practice with the team *if* they make the playoffs? I really don't expect to see him unless some injuries occur. Salvador, Zidlicky, Greene, and Fayne all seem like locks for DeBoer, Merrill has earned his trust (rightfully so imo), and if Gelinas becomes too much of a liability they still have Volchenkov and PDB's boy Harrold. 

To practice with the team *if* they make the playoffs? I really don't expect to see him unless some injuries occur. Salvador, Zidlicky, Greene, and Fayne all seem like locks for DeBoer, Merrill has earned his trust (rightfully so imo), and if Gelinas becomes too much of a liability they still have Volchenkov and PDB's boy Harrold. 

Nah they won't do that. Especially if Albany is in the playoffs

When/if one of the 456 defensemen we have on the big club gets hurt.

UGH!

Gelinas better not get sent down.  I don't need to remind everyone that his positives outweigh his negatives.  17 goals scored in the 4 games since he's been called back up.

Nah they won't do that. Especially if Albany is in the playoffs

UGH!

With the Ruutu trade what do you think our lines will look like tomorrow at practice? If I'm not mistaken Ruutu has played some center in the past for Carolina, so maybe DeBoer has a couple options here on where to slot this guy, the way I see it:

Zubrus/Clowe - Zajac - Jagr

Henrique - Elias - Brunner

Zubrus/Clowe - Ruutu - Ryder

Carter - Gionta - Bernier

or

Ruutu - Zajac - Jagr

Henrique - Elias - Brunner

Clowe - Zubrus - Ryder

Carter - Gionta - Bernier

I really think DeBoer has had Zubes penciled in here as a winger but he has played center in the past as well (mostly with Washington and Buffalo), but I see the first option with Ruutu at center more likely, just a matter if DeBoer wants Zubes or Clowe on that top line after Zubie's mediocre performance on Tuesday.

EDIT: Type-o on the 2nd set of lines

ZZPops 2.0 and HEB shouldn't be broken up imo.

I could see this trade making a forward available at the draft. Lets assume Jagr resigns with the Devils, that leave Jagr, Zajac, Ruutu, Henrique, Elias, Brunner, Clowe, Ryder, Zubrus all as top 9 forwards with Boucher almost certain to be ready. Ryder seems like the most likely scenario.

As most thought both getting a game this weekend: Cory - Friday and Brodeur - Saturday (Per TG). The fact that Pete has announced both games this early tells me everything I need to know about the situation.

Cory probably has to play very well Friday (get a win!), or Brodeur might be getting the next game after the weekend.

Schneider starting tomorrow.  I really see Marty getting five or less starts the remainder of the year, and they will be against weak opponents and/or when the Devils know that they are in or out of the playoffs.

EDIT:  Whoops, didn't see that Marty was already given the start on Saturday.  Still against a weak opponent though.

Edited by Daniel

As most thought both getting a game this weekend: Cory - Friday and Brodeur - Saturday (Per TG). The fact that Pete has announced both games this early tells me everything I need to know about the situation.

Cory probably has to play very well Friday (get a win!), or Brodeur might be getting the next game after the weekend.

Schneider getting the 1st game actually gives me some optimism they are going to stick with him. I would've been more worried if Brodeur got the 1st game and then was in line to rest for the 2nd so he would be set up for the game after the weekend.

Schneider starting tomorrow.  I really see Marty getting five or less starts the remainder of the year, and they will be against weak opponents and/or when the Devils know that they are in or out of the playoffs.

EDIT:  Whoops, didn't see that Marty was already given the start on Saturday.  Still against a weak opponent though.

That's a bet.  I bet he gets over 5 starts.

Schneider getting the 1st game actually gives me some optimism they are going to stick with him. I would've been more worried if Brodeur got the 1st game and then was in line to rest for the 2nd so he would be set up for the game after the weekend.

I am pretty sure Pete doesn't usually announce a starter of the second half of a back-to-back a day before the first one. I just think if Brodeur wins and Cory loses (regardless of offensive support or GA, definitely not save percentage), Pete will think long and hard about for the next game.

This is a man that talked about the Devils record with Janssen in the lineup. He might just go with Brodeur because of the goal support factor, and win factor.

Edited by devilsrule33

I am pretty sure Pete doesn't usually announce a starter of the second half of a back-to-back a day before the first one. I just think if Brodeur wins and Cory loses (regardless of offensive support or GA, definitely not save percentage), Pete will think long and hard about for the next game.

This is a man that talked about the Devils record with Janssen in the lineup. He might just go with Brodeur because of the goal support factor, and win factor.

That's just it though, the odds of that are not particularly high.  I agree that that will be the calculus, but Schneider gives the Devils a better chance to win, so the odds are better that he will.  It's the least likely outcome of both guys starting in a weekend (and starting against teams of equal strength).  One break Brodeur gets is that both Carolina and the Devils are traveling after playing on Friday.

Edited by Triumph

Might want to amend that number a little more...

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/03/devils_martin_brodeur_had_a_feeling_he_wouldnt_be_traded_happy_to_stay_in_new_jersey.html

"I'm intrigued a little bit. I'm pretty excited now to be here and not have to go anywhere. Certain situations that happen are out of your control. I want to play some games and I want to play in the playoffs. These are some of the (things) I asked Lou when we had conversations about playing time and if we get in the playoffs. So I expect to play and I expect myself to try to be in the playoffs also. It's up to me to play well when I'm called upon."

:rolleyes:

Edited by NJDevs4978

Marty > Lou >                                                                                                                                                  Pete

"We understand it's a coach's decision. If I have anyone to blame, I won't blame it on Cory, that's for sure. I'll blame it on somebody else first. He's an athlete and he wants to play. That's normal. It would be a shame for a top goalie to be afraid to play or happy to be sitting on the bench."

What a relief for Cory!

Edited by devilsrule33

Hopefully that's the end of Marty talking about his situation for a while.  I'll always love the guy for many reasons, but for right now I think I'm starting to grow tired of his honesty, which more and more seems to be centered around what's best for Marty and not for anyone else.  Please go low-key and play your best when called upon. 

Here Marty... just keep digging that hole...

It really has reached the "Please stop, for the love of God" threshhold.  This latest batch of quotes doesn't really come off well.