2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

I can't exactly blame Pete here. Cory has struggled since the break, and the team does score a lot more for Marty. That said I hope the hero worshippers are happy now, we've wasted a first rounder for a guy who ain't even going to play most of the crucial games of the season.

Cory has simply been shaky.  Marty has simply been bad.

I think Gionta is still an elite checker. Considering 39.6% of his starts are in the defensive zone, his 44% Corsi doesn't look so bad. 

That said, short of Ryder or Brunner being moved, I don't think their is room for him. 

http://www.extraskater.com/players/dashboard?sort=cf_pct_rel&dir=reverse&players=454,171#player-usage-chart

However, 2/6 wouldn't be the end of the world.

I would love Brian back in this team!  He would be an upgrade over Bernier imo.  You can also use Brian on the special teams.

The Devils are not going to keep scoring like the 86 Oilers forever. When that well runs dry we need something better than a POS in goal. Schneider needs to start vs Philly. They're a much better offensive team than Carolina

Did he just say scoring 4 goals is not that tall of a task?  Even the best offensive teams in the league don't score 4 goals at will.  Not only that, but the Flyers have relinquished a whopping 4 goals total to the Devils (not including the EN goal by Jagr in which case it'd be 5) in 3 games.  Granted, Marty has played well vs Philly this year.  He's only given up 4 goals himself against Philly in those 3 games.  Here's the problem though, Claude Giroux is on fire right now.  And the Flyers as a whole have been averaging well over 3 goals a game since November.

Did he just say scoring 4 goals is not that tall of a task?  Even the best offensive teams in the league don't score 4 goals at will.  Not only that, but the Flyers have relinquished a whopping 4 goals total to the Devils (not including the EN goal by Jagr in which case it'd be 5) in 3 games.  Granted, Marty has played well vs Philly this year.  He's only given up 4 goals himself against Philly in those 3 games.  Here's the problem though, Claude Giroux is on fire right now.  And the Flyers as a whole have been averaging well over 3 goals a game since November.

it was sarcasm, dog

I take great pride in calling this from the start: Nothing Schneider has done mattered before the last two bad games. Nothing Brodeur did mattered before the last two bad games. Brodeur's last two bad games so much better than Schneider's last two bad games...obviously.

It is beyond baffling.  PDB may not have jumped the shark yet, but he's putting on the leather jacket and the water skis.  I feel for Cory.

It is beyond baffling.  PDB may not have jumped the shark yet, but he's putting on the leather jacket and the water skis.  I feel for Cory.

at least randy carlyle's not the coach. we have that right? RIGHT? 

The direct choice of player itself often you can never say if its good or not cause well guys like Gionta had big moments and some top guys had terrible moments who cost us games so you never know what you're gonna get.

Whats frustrating is that DeBoer is creating that frustration among the young guys / our future. I mean it's a very recurring theme to see a younger guy who deserves to play sitting over an old over the hill getting the royal treatment. 

Like buddy from Florida was saying it sucks cause you keep on playing with an extra stress that if you fvck up you're gonna ride the bench for awhile and then you see the old vet getting away with murder straight time. It has to be damn frustrating

I could kind of understand Marty getting the start if he played well against Carolina.  I didn't catch the second half of the game, but from all accounts he was not that good.  So this is all very disconcerting. 

I will say though that at least Pete is at least being consistent.  Marty didn't play the next seven games or so after the Yankee Stadium debacle, including a few back to back nights.  So we'll have to see, but it does appear that Schneider is getting more leeway for bad performances, although I recognize that it's difficult to assess since Schneider hasn't really had many bad performances.  

I could kind of understand Marty getting the start if he played well against Carolina.  I didn't catch the second half of the game, but from all accounts he was not that good.  So this is all very disconcerting. 

I will say though that at least Pete is at least being consistent.  Marty didn't play the next seven games or so after the Yankee Stadium debacle, including a few back to back nights.  So we'll have to see, but it does appear that Schneider is getting more leeway for bad performances, although I recognize that it's difficult to assess since Schneider hasn't really had many bad performances.  

Well he can't/shouldn't play Marty back-to-back because he's 42, so by that definition there's no way Cory sits through a back-to-back.  But honestly Marty IS graded on a different curve than Cory and it's frustrating.  This wouldn't even be an issue on any other team in the league, Cory would be playing.  But for some mysterious reason they decide to score for Marty and not for Cory and between that and Marty's deadline whining here we go again.  If their seasons had been reversed and Marty had the .918 with Cory the .898 you know they'd be giving him 80% of the starts.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Schneider has been pretty bad since the break, but marty has defintley let in the worse goals.

I mean the detroit game sucked, but the wings were T-ing off from the slot like nobodys business. Marty wasn't saving those goals either. Stark difference between the NYR outdoor game for marty and this game for cory. Namley on alot of the goals he had no chance.

I guess petes thought process is, both goalies can't stop pucks but broduer is better at helping the D in their own zone. It's foolish imo simply because Cory is going to play better going foward then his last 2 games on an average basis. Marty is bad on an average basis.

This is just like what happened with moose in a way, obviously its a different situation but it is eerily similar because Pete is clearly a fvcking moron when it comes to these decisions. He did it wrong last year, he's defintley doing it wrong this year.

Unfortunetly for us, no matter what happens we might lose out in some way.

If we win, great playoffs still alive, but that means marty will continue to start. Which means Cory might feel jilted and not resign here. (some will say thats bullsh!t, but why should he be loyal to a team that has fvcked him around like this, especially a team that is going to continue to struggle going foward given the age of its good players, I see no reason to resign in new jersey for him)

If we lose, we are in trouble in the playoff hunt. And it's likley not even an instant return to Cory in net given Peter Dumbassdeboer history we will probably need 3-4 losses before Marty gets shown the bench.

Not really the best situation Pete is putting us in from a stand point this season or the future.

Edited by Sneax

If this is simply Pete making the decisions on Brodeur, then I've pretty much lost all faith in him. 2012 was a fluke run. The greater sample size of Florida + this year and last year is starting to prove that Deboer is not an NHL caliber coach. If Lou is complicit in this Brodeur insanity then he needs to be fired as well. 

If this is simply Pete making the decisions on Brodeur, then I've pretty much lost all faith in him. 2012 was a fluke run. The greater sample size of Florida + this year and last year is starting to prove that Deboer is not an NHL caliber coach. If Lou is complicit in this Brodeur insanity then he needs to be fired as well. 

Many would argue he did well in Florida. I don't think this is about Deboer.

Everything that has been reported leads to Brodeur and Lou discussing Marty's role with the team. After the deadline Brodeur felt as comfortable with his role on the team as he has since training camp. From his quotes, it leads me to believe that he and Cory were given clean slates, and as long as Brodeur did enough, he would get a chance to get the majority of the games.

The way Lou has gushed about Marty and his long documented history of micro-managing, I think this one is somewhat out of Pete's hands.

Everything that has been reported leads to Brodeur and Lou discussing Marty's role with the team. After the deadline Brodeur felt as comfortable with his role on the team as he has since training camp. From his quotes, it leads me to believe that he and Cory were given clean slates, and as long as Brodeur did enough, he would get a chance to get the majority of the games.

The way Lou has gushed about Marty and his long documented history of micro-managing, I think this one is somewhat out of Pete's hands.

If this is the case, then is shows us that LL is confident he'll re-sign Cory imo. Because if he was unsure, he would play Schneider more. I really don't believe that LL would've traded a top 10 overall pick for a 2 year rental.

If this is the case, then is shows us that LL is confident he'll re-sign Cory imo. Because if he was unsure, he would play Schneider more. I really don't believe that LL would've traded a top 10 overall pick for a 2 year rental.

How the hell would he be confident in signing him when A) technically he can't even talk contract until this summer, and B) he's not getting his shot here.  You can't just ask the guy to wait till he's 30 to take the reins.  He wants to build his own legacy.

I don't dispute that some of this is a Lou influence but this is the same Pete that cited win/loss record as his excuse for keeping Cam in the lineup.

How the hell would he be confident in signing him when A) technically he can't even talk contract until this summer, and B) he's not getting his shot here. You can't just ask the guy to wait till he's 30 to take the reins. He wants to build his own legacy.

I don't dispute that some of this is a Lou influence but this is the same Pete that cited win/loss record as his excuse for keeping Cam in the lineup.

Sometimes I wonder if Pete actually believes some of the sh!t he says, or if he's just feeding a line of BS to the media... The Cam comment was comical.

Well he can't/shouldn't play Marty back-to-back because he's 42, so by that definition there's no way Cory sits through a back-to-back.  But honestly Marty IS graded on a different curve than Cory and it's frustrating.  This wouldn't even be an issue on any other team in the league, Cory would be playing.  But for some mysterious reason they decide to score for Marty and not for Cory and between that and Marty's deadline whining here we go again.  If their seasons had been reversed and Marty had the .918 with Cory the .898 you know they'd be giving him 80% of the starts.

This is where I get ticked.  One guy definitely took a while to get going and find consistency (understandable in that he was coming to a new team), but he went on a hell of a run.  Three rough starts somehow negates it all. 

The other guy has been pretty bad for most of the past two seasons, but continues to get the "roll in the savior" treatment.  And you are right, if the save%s were reversed, Marty would be getting a hell of a lot more starts than Cory has to date.  Cory gets treated like he's a friggin' rookie that has to be handled with care and somehow STILL can't be trusted yet, while the other guy overall the past two seasons has been an inconsistent wild card at best who's benefitted from a lot of fortuitous goal support this year, but somehow HE'S the go-to old-faithful guy in PDB's eyes.  Makes no sense.  Only thing I can possibly think of is that Cory's having some bad practices lately, but based on what I've seen, I doubt Marty's looking great in them either.   

Oh right, he hasn't consistently won with some of the worst rosters in the NHL, so he must be inept.

Honestly, given the management and personnel decisions this season, with the pinnacle being that the whinny backup goalie is now calling the shots after asking for a trade, this team doesn't deserve to make the playoffs. Obviously I hope they make it but a small part of me worries that if they do pull a run out of their asses, there will be no accountability for the abortion this season has become and everything will be status quo going into next season. This has easily been the most frustrating season I can remember and I'm old enough to have been a fan in the 80's.

How the hell would he be confident in signing him when A) technically he can't even talk contract until this summer, and B) he's not getting his shot here. You can't just ask the guy to wait till he's 30 to take the reins. He wants to build his own legacy.

Actually they can talk contract whenever they want, and for all we know they may have already. A deal just can't be signed until a certain point, which I'm not sure has passed yet. Lou knows what he gave up to obtain Schneider, and he did it for the exact reason that he understood that Marty was not a long term solution, or even a solution beyond the time his contract expires. The fact that Pete is giving too many starts to Marty bothers me because it makes a playoff berth this year that much less likely. I just dont think that Cory will be somehow offended by it when it comes to him deciding whether or not to sign a long term deal.

And Cam was in the lineup for what 15 games. I don't think you can glean anything from that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The thing that's frustrating is how many times we've seen this play out during the year.  If Brodeur only had 20 starts, it wouldn't be as bad.  But time and time again it's Brodeur wins a 4-3 or 5-4 game so he gets the next one.  And people wonder why this team can't get on winning streaks.

The thing that's frustrating is how many times we've seen this play out during the year. If Brodeur only had 20 starts, it wouldn't be as bad. But time and time again it's Brodeur wins a 4-3 or 5-4 game so he gets the next one. And people wonder why this team can't get on winning streaks.

Don't have the inclination to look at it, but I seem to recall that it used to be he would get consecutive starts when he would win games while either giving up 2 or fewer goals, or if it were more, the goals were of the you can't do much about it sort. What makes his start against Philly disconcerting is that he wasn't that good against Carolina.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So many interesting/hilarious comments from Schneider and Brodeur in TG's column today:

“I always said that if I play 70 games a year my stats will show up to be in the top 10 of everything,” Brodeur said. “If I don’t play 70 games, I’ve got to win games. That’s what I always said. You guys were the first ones when I started the season and my goals-against average was four-point-something, and it was like, ‘What’s going on?’ My answer was, ‘Talk to me when we’re done with the season.’ Usually, it evens out when you play a lot, for me anyway. - See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/brodeur_happy_for_another_chance_vs._flyers_devils_trying_to_clean_up_defense_ruutu_visits_family/#sthash.pjZEwObV.dpuf

Does he not get how stats work? The only thing he can't control is the win total when you don't play a ton of games. But 10, 20, 30, 40 games, if you are playing well your averages and percentages will show. Games played has nothing to do it. And since he started playing more, his GAA and save percentage have not improved. Does he think giving up 7 goals in 2 games is going to improve any of that?

Is that what he's always said...really? You need to play 70 games to get into the top 10? That's not how it works.

Whether it’s a 40-save shutout or a train wreck where you give up six or seven, I think that’s part of the evolution of being a starting goalie,” Schneider said. “You’ve got to come back in and be as good as you can be the next night whether it went well the night before or not. That’s part of the psyche you have to develop as a starting goalie. I know Marty’s done it for 20 years now and has gotten very good at it. I don’t know how many train wrecks he’s had in his career, though. I’m sure it’s far fewer than most other guys, but, for me, that’s something that I’m looking forward to getting to at some point.

“Last year, I was playing a lot in Vancouver down the stretch and I think there was a game where I gave up the first two shots in Edmonton and got pulled and they put me back in the next game and I felt good and I was right back where I was. So, it’s something that you learn with experience and something you need to have.”

- See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/brodeur_happy_for_another_chance_vs._flyers_devils_trying_to_clean_up_defense_ruutu_visits_family/#sthash.pjZEwObV.dpuf

Oh Cory, great story about last year, but on this team...you'll never get a chance to get right back in there after a bad game...unless the offense scores 5 goals for you, and because you won, we pretend that you were solid and not fvcking awful.

Edited by devilsrule33

Good Lord Marty, the Devils won your last two starts in spite of you, not because of you. 

It's scary how delusional he sounds lately...I keep thinking he can't possibly be this oblivious as to what his current skill level is, but he still thinks it's 2003.  Does he still really think he could start 70 games and be successful, if only he was given the chance?   

Please retire at the end of the year.