2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

I remember when he had stated that he had asked Lou for a trade in a pre-game interview...actually made me feel a little sick.  Really bummed me out at the time.  Kind of sucked that he never gave his new role a chance.  That's part of what made Stevens so special...the guy has an awesome offensive season in '93-'94, and the Devils ask him to become more of a defensive guy.  He did it without complaint. 

Stevens was still getting a bilion minutes a game, or at least I'd assume.  MacLean wasn't, IIRC, and he was up for a new contract - it's hard to blame him.  Somehow he played almost 22 minutes a game for the Rangers the next season.

Stevens was still getting a bilion minutes a game, or at least I'd assume.  MacLean wasn't, IIRC, and he was up for a new contract - it's hard to blame him.  Somehow he played almost 22 minutes a game for the Rangers the next season.

That 22 mins per game was out of necessity...that Ranger team had a hell of a time putting the puck in the net.  MacLean was actually second in goals on that team, with 28.  There were some young players on that team went on to do a lot more with other teams (Savard, Knuble and Malhotra), and some others that had already had their better days elsewhere (Kevin Stevens, Ulf Samuelsson). 

In MacLean's defense, he was only 33 when he decided he didn't like his new role...if he was 35-36, maybe he wouldn't have fought it.  I never held it against him, but I think it's too bad only from the standpoint that I would've loved it if he enjoyed more years here in his new role.  Outside of that 28-goal season on a bad team, it's not like he enjoyed a lot of prolific scoring seasons after he left.

The important thing here is that Gelly gets to play, Yayo gets to play as well.  I really really hope that Josefson can solidify a spot as our 3rd line or 4th line center for a while.  Give him some ice time, he could really take on the role.  You know, that checking center who can score some goals.  On a positive note, that young D-man, can't seem to remember his name.....Oh Larsson! That's his name.  He's scoring a decent amount in the A and gaining a lot of confidence it seems.  We can hope that this improvement carries over into the NHL when we see him again.

I am quoting DR33 three times to highlight just how over the top and unilateral this Brodeur hate is getting:

I've never been more upset to be right about anything...well ever. When you look back at some of the games that Brodeur cost the Devils all season, the 3-2 loss to the Yotes comes right to mind. Marty let in 3 atrocious goals in that one.

Maybe Marty asked for this one too...

In the past month I have written a post or two complimenting your status on the boards and your credibility around here. This imho, is not a welcome tactic.

Brodeur being rusty wasn't an issue when Cory played how many games in a row after the outdoor classic. 

They needed to play Brodeur before the Outdoor game , so he wouldn't be rusty for the outdoor game. That worked well. Now they need the one of the worst goalies statistically not to be rusty for...for...for...The fvcking playoffs are on the line. Go with the better goalie and not worry about anyone else.

Again, for me this goes back to the chat Lou and Marty had after the break. Marty was down and out, but came back after the deadline really happy with his role. A role that I imagine was told would change. He wanted to be part of the push for the playoffs, and I think he was guaranteed he would. No reason to start him tomorrow otherwise. If Cory posted a shootout, you "risk" losing Marty again like Pete did after the Rangers debacle. This was probably promised to Brodeur that it would not happen again. 

"imagine" is a great word to use here. You are letting your imagination get the better of you.

Sadly, the only fool Marty has been fooling is the GM of the New Jersey Devils. The rest of the league is not going to be interested. When I say the rest of the league, I mean the 3-4 teams that Brodeur has on his "want to sign with" list, which right now probably reads..."whomever the Eastern and Western Conference Finals' representatives will be" 

i must admit - these jabs at marty are great and i agree that he's more harm than good these days, but you'd think it's now a question whether DM will put his jersey on the header of the page when it's retired...

QFT.

I always post first then read the thread.

:doh1:

I am quoting DR33 three times to highlight just how over the top and unilateral this Brodeur hate is getting:

In the past month I have written a post or two complimenting your status on the boards and your credibility around here. This imho, is not a welcome tactic.

"imagine" is a great word to use here. You are letting your imagination get the better of you.

QFT.

:doh1:

I see things one way. You see things the other. Going back and looking at ridiculous posts isn't a great game you should play. I have no problem with any of the posts you have quoted for me.

I have never said Brodeur playing has cost us the playoffs. Just that it is very clear him playing so many games does not give the team the best chance to win. I don't hate Brodeur. I think you can find dozens of more spiteful posts around here than anything I have said or you quoted. 

I don't mind cheering for a losing team. I cheer for a lot of losers and the Devils. What I hate is complete and utter roster mismanagement. I hate inept people having jobs in either management, coaching or playing. This year there has been a lot of ineptitude around this organization. Enough smart people around hockey see it.

I see things one way. You see things the other. Going back and looking at ridiculous posts isn't a great game you should play. I have no problem with any of the posts you have quoted for me.

I have never said Brodeur playing has cost us the playoffs. Just that it is very clear him playing so many games does not give the team the best chance to win. I don't hate Brodeur. I think you can find dozens of more spiteful posts around here than anything I have said or you quoted. 

I don't mind cheering for a losing team. I cheer for a lot of losers and the Devils. What I hate is complete and utter roster mismanagement. I hate inept people having jobs in either management, coaching or playing. This year there has been a lot of ineptitude around this organization. Enough smart people around hockey see it.

In bold: If this is all you think than no, we don't see things differently. I completely agree with that thought. However, and maybe I have been misreading, it seems to me that you believe that starting Marty has been a MUCH bigger deal to this team than I do.

Bold2: I think this is a fair position, the implication being frustration on your part that is manifesting itself on the board. However, if IIRC you have been pretty supportive of keeping DeBoer on board no? Is it Marty's fault that he's starting? What would you expect him to do, ask not to start? That has been a large part of my point.

But I get it though, your real beef is with Lou:

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133429

There is no Brodeur in his prime. No HOF defensemen in Stevens and Niedermayer. No Rafalski. No A-line to wonder WTF is happening with this team.

If Lou fired Deboer, he should just fire himself. His coaching change worked once with Robinson.

It always amazes me that people will sh!t on the players and sh!t on the coach, but no one even questions the GM much.
Edited by Neb00rs

Does anyone else feel like Zubrus has regressed this year?

i always kind of felt like zubrus was just a so so type of player i dont recall myself ever really being like oh wwow zubrus coming in clutch... not saying he never has had one of those moments here.. but hes been nothing more then dead weight added to the pile this season.

Zubrus is showing his age. Even though he never put up astonishing numbers he was always a beast along the boards and a great puck possession player. He is mot as beastly these last two seasons, he's wearing down.

Edited by Zubie#8

On top of wearing down, he was never really a speedy player, but for a big guy his speed is acceptable.  But I think that regression is mostly in his legs.  He can keep up with Jagr, but that's not saying much unfortunately.  I feel for the guy, he is a role player on this team, he can kill penalties and I believe he still has a place in the bottom 6, but keeping him in the top 6 for the simple reason, "Oh he's a big body and will win puck battles.", it just isnt good enough when we need players who will put points on the board.  Zubrus has never been known for doing that.  Use Zubrus as a 4th line anchor or wing with Gionta and Carter.  Gionta and Carter are both physical players and Zubrus would help that lines possession numbers in theory. 

zubie of the SC run and this zubie are very different. then he could dump in at the blue line single handed and pin the Dman at will, those days seem gone, his hands are slowing too.  still a better puck carrier than most here give him credit for and he played as well as anyone with zajac and jagr.(not saying much, I know) at 3 mil people are making more of an issue than he really is. the guy will play on the 4th line if needed.  clowe plays and important role, but lets be honest hes horrible in our end, ditto ryder. and ruutu is no big upgrade.  I reserve the right to change my opinion if we lose jagr next year, lol

Zubrus is 35, which doesn't seem 'that' old compared to a few guys on our team but he's been in the NHL since he was 18...that's a lot of miles playing the way he does (and he's been pretty durable).  Unfortunately giving him three years last offseason may wind up becoming a Pandolfo like deal where we have to buy out the final year.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Buying out the final year only saves the Devils money because it's a 35+ contract.  I could see them convincing him to walk.

It's not mileage, it's just that Zubrus was never a great player and players who aren't great tend to slow down at Zubrus's age.  Like Edge said, he just doesn't get in on the forecheck as fast and so that really limits what good he's doing out there.  He's still a smart player with the puck and on defense but he's basically contributing at a 3rd/4th line level at this juncture.  I'm not concerned about the salary, but I am concerned that coaching/management usually takes at least a year what shrewd people can see in 20 games - this is why old players suck, it isn't just because they start to get worse, it's that the coaching staff doesn't notice until it's already cost the team points.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 1

At this point, if Zubrus plays on the 4th line I have no problem with him being here. You'll get your share of posters upset that a 4th liner is making $3 million but I don't really see it as a big deal compared to Salvador and Volchenkov's contracts.

@dchesnokov: Ilya Kovalchuk will have a knee surgery in Munich later this week and will not play for Russia at the IIHF Worlds in Minsk.

Didn't know where to put this, so I figured here was as good a place as any.

munich ??!! ha, so much love for the motherland!