2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

It does. Harrold has impressed me since he returned to the lineup. I thought he was struggling for a bit earlier in the year. It wouldn't have been such an issue at the time if the Devils weren't scratching Fayne or Larsson.

yeah Harrold is a nice piece to have as a fill in or short term injury replacement but play him in several straight games and his warts show.

I mean my god can the guy hold the point in the offensive zone for once?!

Edited by dmann422

I mean my god can the guy hold the point in the offensive zone for once?!

We are so bad as a whole at holding the point and having our D-men pinch in the o-zone, i think that is one of the main reasons we are less dominant then in 2011-2012. During that run, every single d-man pinched in on the boards, now we have reverted to this style where every d-man plays 5 behind the blue line when the puck is loose. Also why I miss fayne, fayne is the only guy except zids (sometimes) that consistantly pinches.

We are so bad as a whole at holding the point and having our D-men pinch in the o-zone, i think that is one of the main reasons we are less dominant then in 2011-2012. During that run, every single d-man pinched in on the boards, now we have reverted to this style where every d-man plays 5 behind the blue line when the puck is loose. Also why I miss fayne, fayne is the only guy except zids (sometimes) that consistantly pinches.

People will scoff, but Volchenkov actually does a nice job at knowing when to pinch into the zone for pucks and does it fairly frequently.  He doesn't do anything other than knock it behind the net, unlike Zids who will do something interesting with the puck, but Volch has pretty good awareness of when to press in along the boards.

People will scoff, but Volchenkov actually does a nice job at knowing when to pinch into the zone for pucks and does it fairly frequently. He doesn't do anything other than knock it behind the net, unlike Zids who will do something interesting with the puck, but Volch has pretty good awareness of when to press in along the boards.

I agree but with volchenkov the problem is when the puck is played back to him from the corner if it isn't a perfect pass it's 100% going back into the neutral zone.

Fortunately he usually recovers enough by just turning and skating straight back at our net to try and prevent a rush. But it's still frustrating.

Sometimes I think that the forward in the corner gets boxed in looks up and sees volchenkov and says"automatic turnover" and just tries to force it back behind he net lol.

Heilman was actually very good for a few years as a set-up guy (2005-07)...was by far and away one of the better set-up men in the majors for that stretch...unfortunately, he had a way of blowing up in memorable spots, and just like Carlos Beltran, as far as many Mets fans go, he'll be remembered for failure in Game 7 of the 2006 NLCS.  Unfortunately, due to that success, he got chance after chance to pull it together in 2008 (sabes guys will tell you that he really wasn't as bad as he performed that season, that he was unlucky, but I thought he blew), and then he never reached his 2005-07 heights again.

Anyway, my point in bringing this up is that I can understand why Randolph kept going to Heilman.  Not sure Gionta deserves the same amount of chances.    

They really ruined him by jerking him around. I still remember the one hitter he threw against the Marlins in early April one year - not sure if that was 04 or 05. I was a pretty big Heilman fan in his time with the Mets to be honest, a few buddies always gave me sh!t for it. I was thinking of  any parallel between constant obsession of a mediocre player.

Am I the only one who thinks Volchenkov has played his best hockey with the Devils lately?

Nope. Volch is a pk'ing, shot blocking dinosaur who does a great job. The problem gets magnified when Sal is in the lineup because that leaves two pairs on defense where one guy has absolute no puck skills and is slow as hell.

Each team needs one guy like Volch/Sal, but they are too one dimensional to have both.

Edited by Devils Pride 26

The Devils now have a 4th line with Gionta and Janssen together. So much for depth. 

Well so much for the production we were getting from the 4th line. Even Janssen can't make that line productive with Gio on it.

Well so much for the production we were getting from the 4th line. Even Janssen can't make that line productive with Gio on it.

im not sure i care for gio much anymore.. i know he isnt too liked around here but i too am starting to join that club.. however it seems like it would be him or JJ and im not sure im too high on him either so...whatever

The Devils now have a 4th line with Gionta and Janssen together. So much for depth. 

i know where you're going with this, but they actually do have depth. its what kept someone like tim fvcking ses-TI-to off the big club the last couple of weeks while clowe, elias, zajac, carter, and gionta went down. gionta and janssen aren't playing because the devils don't have depth. they're playing because janssen is providing a role that nobody else can (the importance of that role if up for debate) and pete insists that gionta is better than josefson.

I love it, two guys who like to shoot and can actually bury the puck being set up by Elias. Also, Patty seems to play faster on the rush in the few times he's been paired up with Brunner.

the problem is patty also likes to cycle and work the boards and neither Ryder or Brunner could do that to save their lives.

I love it, two guys who like to shoot and can actually bury the puck being set up by Elias. Also, Patty seems to play faster on the rush in the few times he's been paired up with Brunner.

I also like it since it moves Henrique to the wing. I always felt like he is more suited there than center in the long run.