2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

I agree that Tedenby is probably getting a final look. Though I don't think he has much (if any at all) trade value and I think it's likely he'd make it thru waivers. I honestly wouldn't lose any sleep if someone else did claim him. This is his chance to show he deserves a roster spot.

I don't think he has value at all right now. If he gets hot for 20 games, maybe he sticks and we do him like we did Bergfors. If he looks like he has in the past, then it's waivers and he likely clears and if he doesn't, oh well.

I don't know..you aren't going to get any beat writers asking about why a 4th-line player is playing, especially an individual who seems to be as well liked as Gionta. It just isn't something that is asked. You might have one ask about Fayne specifically, or why Josefson hasn't gotten much of a look after a good pre-season. 

I'd rather those questions asked. Deboer's thoughts on Gionta are pretty well known. 

I agree with you...writers aren't going to sell copy stirring up a Gionta/Josefson debate.  If anything I'd rather they just press Pete in general on why so many young guys get chained into the doghouse while vets are allowed to slide.

Devils are currently using a line of Zubrus-Elias-Jagr, all of which are over the age of 35. Josefson has proven he can handle 11-13 minutes a night, which would be an increase to what Gionta is getting. Any option the Devils can keep Jagr and Elias fresh should be explored

Elias and Jagr aren't being used a ton.  Elias is at 18 minutes, which is where he's always been, Jagr is at 17 minutes a game.  I don't think they should be getting any less ice time than this - they may be old, but they are also our best forwards.

Elias and Jagr aren't being used a ton.  Elias is at 18 minutes, which is where he's always been, Jagr is at 17 minutes a game.  I don't think they should be getting any less ice time than this - they may be old, but they are also our best forwards.

have those minutes for elias and jagr been consistent from the start of the season or did they have more time and its now starting to decrease?

I just wonder if Deboer or Stevens realizes Larsson or Fayne can play away from Andy Greene.  

Well, whenever he tried it, he paired Larsson with Volchenkov and that was quite the trainwreck. So he tried it and it failed. Thus, he's hellbent on the idea that both can only play with Greene and thus they're the ones getting scratched. But both could play away from Greene....together. 

Well, whenever he tried it, he paired Larsson with Volchenkov and that was quite the trainwreck. So he tried it and it failed. Thus, he's hellbent on the idea that both can only play with Greene and thus they're the ones getting scratched. But both could play away from Greene....together. 

Larsson can probably only play with Greene at this point.  Fayne could definitely play with anyone else, though.

I'd like to see what a Tedenby-Lokti-Brunner line can do just for one shift. Could be dangerous (both ways).

You know that's been one of my own guilty thoughts as well. That line would have no ability to defend and would be completely undersized versus any opposing line in the league, but man, the speed would be amazing.

You know that's been one of my own guilty thoughts as well. That line would have no ability to defend and would be completely undersized versus any opposing line in the league, but man, the speed would be amazing.

You see some of those Edmonton lines with all the kids and they're zipping and zooming all over the place, scoring goals; so hard to defend. On paper, you think they're going to be ineffective and outmatched physically, but in reality, it might work. I watched our geezers trying to keep up with the Edmonton kids and they absolutely couldn't. 4 goals later....

Yeah we need to let the kids fly. I want some damn selfishness on this team too. People need to just start rifling shots. I think putting the younger guys together (without a vet) might help boost their confidence (offensively).

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Larsson can probably only play with Greene at this point.  Fayne could definitely play with anyone else, though.

Sal-Larsson tonight...I'm scared that you're feeling on this might be correct and that a sal-larsson combo won't last the 1st period. I guess we shall see.

According to TG:

Same 6 on D so Fayne still in and Larsson still out.

Interesting decision on offense as Brunner is back for Josefson. I thought Jacob had a pretty solid game while Tedenby was easily the Devils worst forward. I guess they feel if Tedenby is going to show them something, he needs to play. If he struggles some more, he might be on waivers when everyone is back. 

I'm usually fully against Josefson sitting no matter what, but I do kind of get it this time. Obviously, I'd rather have him in over Gionta, but that won't be happening for a while at least. It seems that for tonight's game, he, Loktionov, and Olesz were fighting for two spots. Olesz was a big part of two goals against the Rangers, and Loktionov scored one. I think that's why Josefson is the one sitting, even though I thought he had a really good game the other night.

It appears that Tedenby is being given a final chance to prove that he can be an NHL player. I'm sure he's aware of this, so it would only be fair that he is given a decent stretch of games, instead of being rotated in and out of the lineup. Either that, or PDB thinks his speed can be that helpful. But after benching Tedenby for so long last game, I'm sure Pete is just giving him a chance to show what he's got.

No Elias again?

Damn, get well soon Patty..team needs ya..

Patty isn't much of a surprise, he didn't travel with the team. Hope he's back Thursday though.

I'm usually fully against Josefson sitting no matter what, but I do kind of get it this time. Obviously, I'd rather have him in over Gionta, but that won't be happening for a while at least. It seems that for tonight's game, he, Loktionov, and Olesz were fighting for two spots. Olesz was a big part of two goals against the Rangers, and Loktionov scored one. I think that's why Josefson is the one sitting, even though I thought he had a really good game the other night.

It appears that Tedenby is being given a final chance to prove that he can be an NHL player. I'm sure he's aware of this, so it would only be fair that he is given a decent stretch of games, instead of being rotated in and out of the lineup. Either that, or PDB thinks his speed can be that helpful. But after benching Tedenby for so long last game, I'm sure Pete is just giving him a chance to show what he's got.

Or perhaps showcasing for a trade...?

According to TG:

Same 6 on D so Fayne still in and Larsson still out.

Interesting decision on offense as Brunner is back for Josefson. I thought Jacob had a pretty solid game while Tedenby was easily the Devils worst forward. I guess they feel if Tedenby is going to show them something, he needs to play. If he struggles some more, he might be on waivers when everyone is back. 

Feel bad for Josefson but looking at the bigger picture, I agree that they are probably giving Tedenby a "last chance" to show what he can do before waiving him.

Patty isn't much of a surprise, he didn't travel with the team. Hope he's back Thursday though.

Or perhaps showcasing for a trade...?

Only way that happens is if he starts scoring at a decent rate. I said this earlier, but if that were to happen, I'd expect a trade.