GDT 7: Devils @ Senators aka first win of the season 730pm MSG+

ZeroGravityFat

Marty is not done yet, that being said schneider is the best man out there and the one who can give us win (something we dont have right now)

Our offense is respectable

Our defence isnt very good (yesterday they look better) 

Our goaltender have to be dominant...!

We will score 2-3 goals per game so we have to shutdown the oppenents... 

Conclusion, i want more schneider action and i still think we have to play fayne and gelinas instead others... (base on talent and effectiveness they are supposes to be ahead of volchenkov salvador harrold zidlicky lol)

Last night game wasnt awful but the fact we have lost so many game before... nothing less than a win is unexceptable

Edited by caron14

This team won't be in NJ much longer at this rate.

I sure as hell won't support a team like this. Someone else can go spend all that money to watch this JV lose every night.

GTFO of here with this and go root for a flavor of the month team like the leafs or Avs then.

Talk about overreaction - it's one thing to be pissed at the performance but to claim that after a bad 40 game stretch the organization is doomed makes absolutely no sense.

GTFO of here with this and go root for a flavor of the month team like the leafs or Avs then.

Talk about overreaction - it's one thing to be pissed at the performance but to claim that after a bad 40 game stretch the organization is doomed makes absolutely no sense.

BigZ is a troll and a clown, don't take him seriously.  No one else does.

Another Marty problem is that he's always had a tough time keeping focus, though it never really effected the outcome of a game.

I could be wrong - but it has always seemed like Marty stands on his head when the Devils are short handed only to get scored on , no exaggeration, less than 10 seconds after the Devils kill the penalty.  As far as I can tell this is just more of the same: He kept the Devils in it for 2 periods.  Once the guys came in to support him he collapsed.  and he's never been held accountable for that pretty clear attention lapse thing he's had forever.  It's always driven me crazy and people here have often commented on it.  Marty is at his worst when he feels safe.

Also it seems to me he's coasting on intuition purely at this point and he's never done that, not ever.  It's always been in combo with his skill and technique.  His eye sight is clearly just off.  He's not reading the plays correctly and he never seems to really have a clear idea where the puck is.  this never used to be a problem.  It's not a reflex thing - it's that he just plain isn't seeing it -- or so it seems to me.  I'd honestly give contacts a shot is I were him.  if you've had fantastic vision all your life and it starts to fade -- you have no way of compensating for that - and there is no learning curve, you're just blind without corrective lenses.  It's an easy fix -- just TRY it, if you really want to stay in the game.

We are 7 games into the season. The Devils have looked in all aspects. They just haven't been at the same time. Games where they've looked good offensively, the defense let them down. Games where the defense looked good, the offense let them down. Tonight, the offense and defense looked good, but the goaltending was awful. Eventually everything will click at once. When that happens, the Devils will steam roll opponents. If you want a team that truly has shown no signs of life, look at the Flyers. That team has truly sucked.

This is a results oriented business.  It doesn't matter if the PP looks good one game, and the defensive zone coverage is good another.  It doesn't matter if you outshoot your opponents 100-4 if you can't score more goals than they do.   You need to play consistently and win hockey games, something they have not done now through almost 10% of the season.  They are a below average hockey team consisting of a bunch of role players with no speed.  That's a bad combo in today's NHL, and will basically relegate them to fighting for the last playoff spot in their division/conference at best.  The only saving grace at this point is the fact that the rest of the Metro Division has been bad as well. 

Plus, with the offensive challenges this team faces on their best day, we won't be steamrolling anyone anytime soon.  And I take no solace in the fact that the Flyers are the only team in the NHL worse than us right now (yet even they found the way to win 1 game already).  At this rate, the trade deadline is going to be the most exciting part of the season for us.  I hope in April you can gloat and tell me that I'm wrong, but I just don't see that happening based upon what I've watched thus far.

I am still trying to stay optimistic.  Last year we had a fantastic start, I said to myself at one point, if they play .500 hockey they will make playoffs.  Look what happened.  I am hoping for the opposite here.

at this point they will need at least a couple of back to back win... 

but right now they cant even win one... I dont think the playoffs is out of mind... big that still a big picture.. We need to win one then we will see... 

When christmas come around we will see if we fight for a playoff spot (if not we are in trouble... fvcking 1 round pick is canceled|!!!!!)

You mean the 7 games worth of results, where Martin Brodeur has been handed 11 goals in 4 games and has been unable to win any of those games?

The offense sucks.  We knew that going in.  If you don't have a top line it's hard to score goals.  But if the goaltending is going to be this bad, the Devils don't have a chance.  Brodeur singlehandedly cost the Devils the game, and even Chico buried him tonight.

That was startling, wasn't it. Throughout Marty's entire career, Chico had NEVER done that.

That was startling, wasn't it. Throughout Marty's entire career, Chico had NEVER done that.

For anyone with eyes, there was absolutely no denying how bad Marty was on those first 3 goals (I didn't catch the 3rd period, so I don't know what happened on goals 4 and 5).  Those are saves a men's league goalie should make.  Good for Chico to call him out on his poor play, although it surprised me as well when he did it. 

For anyone with eyes, there was absolutely no denying how bad Marty was on those first 3 goals (I didn't catch the 3rd period, so I don't know what happened on goals 4 and 5).  Those are saves a men's league goalie should make.  Good for Chico to call him out on his poor play, although it surprised me as well when he did it. 

the fourth one was the worst.... fvcking long shot... and didnt even move...

I am still trying to stay optimistic.  Last year we had a fantastic start, I said to myself at one point, if they play .500 hockey they will make playoffs.  Look what happened.  I am hoping for the opposite here.

Me too.  Too early not to...but at the same time, I'm definitely adjusting my expectations.  This team had an "anything can happen" feel coming in...including what is happening now.  We all knew there was potential for a bottoming-out.   

That being said, Tri pointed it out...Marty has started four games, gotten reasonable (though not great) goal support, and hasn't been able to do much with it...and on a night like last night, where the team is quickly in a 2-0 hole, scores to pull within one in the third, then sees Marty give up another bad one...that can kill a team's spirit.  There's problems all-around, obviously, but when a team doesn't figure to score much, you can't have a guy playing like Marty's been.  They're not good enough to overcome that. 

Like many of us are calling for...give Schneider all of the next 6 games.  Want to give Marty that 7th game the night after the 6th, fine.  But give Schneider a real chance to get locked in. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

One thing that bother me is... everybody know they loose game, but they all say that encouraging (Deboer), we are not playing that bad (Elias) nobody seem pissed off really!

That why they need a guy to shake them up.... staying positive is something, but enough is enough.... I want to see some character, anybody being angry broke stick something lol. i want to hear from a zajac brunner henrique telling it a disgrace to loose so much game.

I dont know, i think they need character, being in slump happen, but we got to work harder and looking desperate.

I want to see their heart ripped out of their fvcking chest lol to quote laviolette.

To much lazy veteran... bring in some angry rookie

Edited by caron14

Another Marty problem is that he's always had a tough time keeping focus, though it never really effected the outcome of a game.

I could be wrong - but it has always seemed like Marty stands on his head when the Devils are short handed only to get scored on , no exaggeration, less than 10 seconds after the Devils kill the penalty.  As far as I can tell this is just more of the same: He kept the Devils in it for 2 periods.  Once the guys came in to support him he collapsed.  and he's never been held accountable for that pretty clear attention lapse thing he's had forever.  It's always driven me crazy and people here have often commented on it.  Marty is at his worst when he feels safe.

Also it seems to me he's coasting on intuition purely at this point and he's never done that, not ever.  It's always been in combo with his skill and technique.  His eye sight is clearly just off.  He's not reading the plays correctly and he never seems to really have a clear idea where the puck is.  this never used to be a problem.  It's not a reflex thing - it's that he just plain isn't seeing it -- or so it seems to me.  I'd honestly give contacts a shot is I were him.  if you've had fantastic vision all your life and it starts to fade -- you have no way of compensating for that - and there is no learning curve, you're just blind without corrective lenses.  It's an easy fix -- just TRY it, if you really want to stay in the game.

There is no arguing that his play was brutal last night. I do wonder how much his father's passing has to do with his 'lack of focus', however.

I think, that given we're playing away games against every NHL team this season, that this is Marty's farewell tour and that's why he's getting the road starts. I don't believe his play will factor into him NOT getting those starts unless he starts giving up 4 goals per period consistently. This isn't a rebuilding year, it's the last year before the rebuilding (again, IMHO). I know it's early in the season, but my feeling is it is early in a season that will feel terribly long, but will end sooner than 16 other teams'.

I think, that given we're playing away games against every NHL team this season, that this is Marty's farewell tour and that's why he's getting the road starts. I don't believe his play will factor into him NOT getting those starts unless he starts giving up 4 goals per period consistently. This isn't a rebuilding year, it's the last year before the rebuilding (again, IMHO). I know it's early in the season, but my feeling is it is early in a season that will feel terribly long, but will end sooner than 16 other teams'.

I can't buy this...no way the Devils can basically say "screw 2013-14" so that Marty gets to go on some victory tour (where his play could be severely diminished thoughout)...especially this early, when the season can still very clearly be salvaged (though it WILL take some time to dig out of this hole).  I don't think the guys the Devils signed want to be part of some Martin Brodeur Farewell Tour. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I can't buy this...no way the Devils can basically say "screw 2013-14" so that Marty gets to go on some victory tour (where his play could be severely diminished thoughout)...especially this early, when the season can still very clearly be salvaged (though it WILL take some time to dig out of this hole).  I don't think the guys the Devils signed want to be part of some Martin Brodeur Farewell Tour. 

Me neither... Nobody said : «you know what ill be part of marty farewells tour the sh!ttiest team who ever plays the game...»

Not to beat a dead horse, but yeah, this one was on Marty. This game may have been a blessing in disguise. I think it's clear as day that Schneider should be our #1 goalie and it may have taken a game like this for DeBoer to know it himself 100%.

We'll see how he reacts. Big one tomorrow. The biggest one.

I remember in 05-06 we went into almost a trap mode in games so we could get back into it. I'm not saying PDB should play more conservative, but he should review his system and tweak it a bit at least until we can rack up a few wins.

He is incapable. He has had opportunities to do so and failed. He's a bad coach, bad talent evaluator, and bad decision maker. Fire him already.

Devils played well last night and probably deserved better, but Marty kind of ruined any chance of a comeback we had. Can't really get on Marty because this sort of play is unfortunately expected.  Thing is, we only scored twice and that isnt enough to get you the win most of the time. I thought Jagr and Elias played really well and CBGB finally had a good game.  Larsson was pretty solid and made some nice plays. I know people will only see the -1 but he played well in both zones. 

I gotta say, Salvador has been solid this year and if he keeps it up, I would have no qualms about him coming back and finishing his contract next year.  Volchenkov on the other hand is done. I'm sorry, but he is terrible.  Hell, he doesnt even throw many big hits anymore. 

On a more personal note, I'm becoming numb to losing.  I'm not really bothered by losing anymore because it's become second nature dating back the last 50 games. I used to go ape**** when the Devils would lose a March game and would be first in the division. My expectations have clearly dropped and that's not how it should be here in NJ. Oh well, plenty of time to right the ship I suppose.....on to the Rags

Edited by SMantzas

Can't think of a better way to get the first win of the season than against the Rags, especially with yours truly in attendance.  That being said, that place is going to get UGLY if the Devils don't play well.  Our fans are finicky, I'm expecting boobirds from the get-go.

My expectations have clearly dropped and that's not how it should be here in NJ.

Happens to all teams eventually.  Devils missed the playoffs once from '89-'90 to '09-'10...we had it good for a long long time.