The Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk appreciation thread (trying somethi

caron14

Kovalchuk wasn't great in NJ. A little known fact is that a 35+ year old Patrik Elias outscored IK in his tenure here in NJ.  Don't even get me started on how terrible he was at defense. 

I don't feel like getting into this debate again, so, suffice to say, we'll have to agree to disagree.

If Lou can't lock up Schneider next year should he trade him before the season starts? 

Maybe, but which goalie do you then play?

I don't feel like getting into this debate again, so, suffice to say, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Maybe, but which goalie do you then play?

I honestly don't know. It would seem like such a waste to give up that 9th overall pick for two years of him though especially if we aren't going anywhere (too early to tell obviously). 

I just want to know what everyone's view on asset management are. Personally I don't think we've been doing a good job of it lately and I want this team to be successful.

If I'm coming across as negative I apologize. I've been a fan since around 88 and I have the logo tattooed on my right arm (which I got in 96, the year they missed the playoffs after winning the cup). I trust in Lou but I fear he has made some bad mistakes recently that have cost the franchise greatly.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Kovalchuk wasn't great in NJ. A little known fact is that a 35+ year old Patrik Elias outscored IK in his tenure here in NJ.  Don't even get me started on how terrible he was at defense. 

I wish it were true but,

Elias: 236 games, 70 goals, 128 assists, 198 points, -2

Kovalchuk: 222 games, 89 goals, 112 assists, 201 points, -32 (lolol)

After what we've seen this season so far is this even a question worth asking?

I meant in the hypothetical situation where the Devils trade Schneider if he's made it clear he has no intention of re-signing.

I honestly don't know. It would seem like such a waste to give up that 9th overall pick for two years of him though especially if we aren't going anywhere (too early to tell obviously). 

I just want to know what everyone's view on asset management are. Personally I don't think we've been doing a good job of it lately and I want this team to be successful.

If I'm coming across as negative I apologize. I've been a fan since around 88 and I have the logo tattooed on my right arm (which I got in 96, the year they missed the playoffs after winning the cup). I trust in Lou but I fear he has made some bad mistakes recently that have cost the franchise greatly.

Maybe sign a veteran FA duo to merely play out the season while the kids get more experience  :noclue:  

The Devils have lost way too many assets in recent years without receiving anything back (DOWN STERIO, DOWN BOY), but I don't know if shipping out Schneider for picks is a smart move unless he's made it absolutely 100% clear he won't be re-signing (which I doubt he would do).  I mean, by trading him, you're essentially admitting and committing to a bonafide rebuild.

And no trust me, you're not one of the people here I have pegged as a negative poster.  Don't even worry about that.  I don't think anyone has you labeled as a negative nancy.

The worst thing this franchise ever did was sign Kovalchuk.

He was never a Devil. He never played Devils hockey and he was nothing but over hype. He was garbage compared to some NHL stars. To put KovalSUCK in the same sentence as Ovechkin, Stamkos, Malkin, Crosby is an absolute fail. I would rather have any of those players on the team than Kovalchuk that fvcking piece of sh!t fraud.

Once the organization signed him it was a slap in the face to Parise..another player I would have rather had than Kovalchuk.

Do you think this team would have been so awful over the last two seasons if Parise was on the team? No fvcking way. Because he plays with heart and that's always going to win when it's combined with hard work and talent.

The Kovalchuk signing single handled ruined this franchise and now it's a complete fvcking laughing mockery stock of what it once was.

I'm completely fvcking embarrassed to be a fan of this team.

Zajac, Henrique, Zubrus are all over paid. Brodeur and Jagr should be retired. Clowe fvcking sucks. Brunner and Ryder have some potential but why didn't anyone else want them?? Probably because them and the rest of the team shouldn't be in the NHL. This team besides Elias and Schnieder are a fvcking B squad and it's going to get worse before it gets better. Mark my words this team isn't winning more than 20 games this season.

Nobody wants to play in NJ, this franchise is done. It was fun while it lasted.

Edited by BigZ

I meant in the hypothetical situation where the Devils trade Schneider if he's made it clear he has no intention of re-signing.

Maybe sign a veteran FA duo to merely play out the season while the kids get more experience  :noclue:  

The Devils have lost way too many assets in recent years without receiving anything back (DOWN STERIO, DOWN BOY), but I don't know if shipping out Schneider for picks is a smart move unless he's made it absolutely 100% clear he won't be re-signing (which I doubt he would do).  I mean, by trading him, you're essentially admitting and committing to a bonafide rebuild.

And no trust me, you're not one of the people here I have pegged as a negative poster.  Don't even worry about that.  I don't think anyone has you labeled as a negative nancy.

Thanks man. I appreciate that. 

I think if Lou can convince Corey that the defense will be much better in a few years (which it should) then he'll stick around. 

He was never a Devil. He never played Devils hockey and he was nothing but over hype. He was garbage compared to some NHL stars. To put KovalSUCK in the same sentence as Ovechkin, Stamkos, Malkin, Crosby is an absolute fail. I would rather have any of those players on the team than Kovalchuk that fvcking piece of sh!t fraud.

Once the organization signed him it was a slap in the face to Parise..another player I would have rather had than Kovalchuk.

Do you think this team would have been so awful over the last two seasons if Parise was on the team? No fvcking way. Because he plays with heart and that's always going to win when it's combined with hard work and talent.

The Kovalchuk signing single handled ruined this franchise and now it's a complete fvcking laughing mockery stock of what it once was.

Zajac, Henrique, Zubrus are all over paid. Brodeur and Jagr should be retired. Clowe fvcking sucks. Brunner and Ryder have some potential but why didn't anyone else want them?? Probably because them and the rest of the team shouldn't be in the NHL. This team besides Elias and Schnieder are a fvcking B squad and it's going to get worse before it gets better. Mark my words this team isn't winning more than 20 games this season.

Good then throw all your devils sh!t out, stop watching/going to games, and stop trolling on here.

• Like 1

Maybe sign a veteran FA duo to merely play out the season while the kids get more experience   :noclue:  

Well see you're nearing what i've been saying for the last few years and it's been the problem. And my negative comments have been overblown really. And while i'm there I apologize for sounding so negative at time but i strongly believe in what i'm saying. I'll try to explain as peacefully as i can please guys don't jump on me.

Of course nobody here knows what's going on in Lou's office. All we know is what he himself said, what players said and what reporters said about it, so all i base my opinion is on those statements if they are lies, nothing i can do.

But based on what has been reported Lou refuse to talk contract extension "during the season". The problem with this is that he's turning his back on infos that could help him make important decisions for the future. As a "business man" you want to get a pulse of everything in order to minimize your losses or prepare yourself for them or to take "calculated risks". That's my problem, Lou simply REFUSE to get that info simply cause he wants to do things that way, just because. There's absolutely no benefit to that procedure, you don't have to sign anything or make move. 

You also don't always need to talk during the season of course. But if you look around the league, a damn good chunk of core/superstar players have been extended during the summer before their last season or during their last season of contract. Very rarely does a GM even take the risk of letting their top players test free agency.

What helped Lou all those years with that procedure is that we we're a powerhouse all those years with players you want to play with. Players WANTED to stay in NJ, now the grass is damn greener all around. So the loyalty thing is not as strong as it once was.

I strongly believe that if Zach would have stayed... Kovy may have stayed too (well not sure it would have fit under the cap) but we have to move on now.

JA#11 perhaps (from HF)?

Could be any one of those Devils trolls who love to come out of the woodwork when the team struggles

But yeah, nothing could ever get me to drop this team (other than switching the name from New Jersey Devils).. I don't care if we miss the playoffs for the next 10 seasons, I'd still keep my season tickets and follow them closely.. Sure even this 7 game skid blows, but whatever it happens.. Doesn't mean I'm dropping the team (and BigZ isn't either since he's clearly a Rangers fan)

wowww talk about being dramatic holy sh!t.. are you a 16 year old girl? the team is on a bad start and a losing streak ive seen losing streaks plenty of other times in past seasons.. nothing like being totally dramatic.

Maybe I'm going to heat for this but I don't blame Parise one bit for doing what he did looking back on it. The Kovalchuk fiasco priced us out of any realistic chance of re-signing Zach. The team was so focused on catering to Kovalchuk that Zach became second fiddle and "star number two". Do any of you TRULY blame him for bolting? He's probably laughing after learning that Kovalchuk went to the KHL.

We might have made the SCF with Kovy but I think we were just fine without him. He did a lot of bad for this team. And while he did some good the pros don't really outweigh the cons.

I will never forgive Zach for leaving, but I would never turn down the chance to play for a Jersey based team. Unless you really hate the place youre from, its a no brainer. Im surprised more guys arent doing this. I really thought Zajac was going to Winnipeg before he resigned. Why the hell wouldnt he?

I will never forgive Zach for leaving, but I would never turn down the chance to play for a Jersey based team. Unless you really hate the place youre from, its a no brainer. Im surprised more guys arent doing this. I really thought Zajac was going to Winnipeg before he resigned. Why the hell wouldnt he?

maybe Lou can package Zajac and get Kane in return

How can people be upset with Kovalchuk?

He isn't as good as ZP9(11), was on the wrong side of 30 and has back issues. Him leaving was a blessing in disguise as far as I can tell.  Lou smartly let him walk as it was a smart decision fiscally and provided us with more flexibility.  

Parise on the other hand chose another team even though we gave him a competitive offer.  That's a pretty big slap in the face

Yeah, I have to agree, this year may suck because of it but over the next 10 years this is clearly a BIG win for the org. lou knew that and let him walk, probablly giggling.  ,,,,,,,,,F zach

Maybe I'm going to heat for this but I don't blame Parise one bit for doing what he did looking back on it. The Kovalchuk fiasco priced us out of any realistic chance of re-signing Zach. The team was so focused on catering to Kovalchuk that Zach became second fiddle and "star number two". Do any of you TRULY blame him for bolting? He's probably laughing after learning that Kovalchuk went to the KHL.

We might have made the SCF with Kovy but I think we were just fine without him. He did a lot of bad for this team. And while he did some good the pros don't really outweigh the cons.

Im not buying the «im the second star here i'll sign elsewhere» Zach parise was our captain after all. If a player dont like the shadow that other provide to him, well he is never gonna win a Stanley cup. My problem with ZP9 is taht he always says he want to resign we were his number one choice etc. Than you learn he sign with the minnesota Wild... As a UFA you do what you want in life, but dont lie to people a year long about your intention....

• Like 1