2013-2014 Attendance

Mike Brown

Well it didn't look too bad on tv except for the the first period.  It looked better as the game went along.  If I had to guess, maybe 10,000 people was actually in the building tonight.

Remember, you must also take the number with a grain of salt this year seeing how they're not even counting all the people.  Ever since they changed the seating capacity this year without actually taking away seats, they simply stopped counting certain sections into the attendance figure.

13,832 / 16,592 = 83%.

83% of 17,625 is 14,629.

So in actuality, the attendance is probably around that 14,629 number.  Or in any case, that would have been the announced attendance last year or any other year when we still had a 17,625 seating capacity.

Did you notice you didn't see one second of video of the upper deck? Think that was for no reason? I'd be surprised if there were 7k people there last night. I'd wager that the team let everyone come sit in the lower bowl because what the hell, no one was there anyways?

Did you notice you didn't see one second of video of the upper deck? Think that was for no reason? I'd be surprised if there were 7k people there last night. I'd wager that the team let everyone come sit in the lower bowl because what the hell, no one was there anyways?

They definitely showed the upper deck right at the end of the game as the team went to celebrate the victory.

I sometimes am curious about the attendance too, but I really wonder what is a lot of Devils fans obsession with the attendance figures.  Who cares?

I really do think a good part of it is a lot of fans insecurity after hearing Rags and Flyers fans making fun of us for it.  I really don't care all that much.

Nobody was invited to sit in the lower deck and there were definitely more than 7,000 people there.  I'd say it was 1-2,000 short of our normal attendance (14,000) based upon my observations.  That doesn't say much about our normal crowds, but it impressed me how many people actually attended the game having to drive through some sh!tty conditions. 

I sometimes am curious about the attendance too, but I really wonder what is a lot of Devils fans obsession with the attendance figures.  Who cares?

I really do think a good part of it is a lot of fans insecurity after hearing Rags and Flyers fans making fun of us for it.  I really don't care all that much.

True.  I don't own the team so, at the end of the day, it really doesn't affect me how many people are in the building.  However, when the place is packed and energized, like it was a lot in 2012 and through most of last season, it enhances the overall in-arena experience.

For me personally, it's about the atmosphere at the games and the energy that a good crowd creates for the players. It's a lot more fun as a fan to witness a packed building. It's been quite depressing at The Rock this year. How can you not want a loud, sold out crowd, cheering on your team? Don't you hear the players comments in anticipation to play In Montreal, Detroit, or Chicago for example? They go out of their way to reference the energy in those buildings. You have to wonder what our players think when they play in front of an empty building. We see players leaving during Free Agency too often, how much of a factor is the atmosphere of the building? It's something to consider. Surely some fans play into the insecurities created by Rags and Flyers fans, but I think most of us just want the best for our team and a loud, sold out crowd never hurts the on-ice product. 

For me personally, it's about the atmosphere at the games and the energy that a good crowd creates for the players. It's a lot more fun as a fan to witness a packed building. It's been quite depressing at The Rock this year. How can you not want a loud, sold out crowd, cheering on your team? Don't you hear the players comments in anticipation to play In Montreal, Detroit, or Chicago for example? They go out of their way to reference the energy in those buildings. You have to wonder what our players think when they play in front of an empty building. We see players leaving during Free Agency too often, how much of a factor is the atmosphere of the building? It's something to consider. Surely some fans play into the insecurities created by Rags and Flyers fans, but I think most of us just want the best for our team and a loud, sold out crowd never hurts the on-ice product.

ive been to 12-13 games so far this year and the atmosphere there has been terrible .. almost makes it boring, just not as fun as a hockey game should be

It's amazing how empty it always looks on tv because of all of the stiffs behind the benches not being in their seats. I assume they're in the lounges instead, during the first 2 periods those sections always look at least half empty.

You nailed it...When I take the family we always get the lounge seats but you can almost never get a seat between periods because everyone stays there! I usually go grab a table like 5 mins before the end of the 1st and my wife does the same at the 2nd. That is a challenge too!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Devlin

You nailed it...When I take the family we always get the lounge seats but you can almost never get a seat between periods because everyone stays there! I usually go grab a table like 5 mins before the end of the 1st and my wife does the same at the 2nd. That is a challenge too! Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

I think the idea of being able to watch a live hockey game in the comfort of a bar or lounge is too enticing.  I wish they could have found a better location for the club seats.

I think the idea of being able to watch a live hockey game in the comfort of a bar or lounge is too enticing. I wish they could have found a better location for the club seats.

Im not sure how to have a good balance with keeping people from staying out of the lounge...it's a great way to spend a day enjoying hockey though.

We get there early for brunch, the kids get to eat all they want ;) watch warmups...eat again! watch the game...eat again!! Lol (I have 1 in college who eats like a horse and a younger one who loves all the snacks!). We are a hockey family so I can't miss a shift :)

Plus...great being in the bowl at center ice!

Im not sure how to have a good balance with keeping people from staying out of the lounge...it's a great way to spend a day enjoying hockey though.

We get there early for brunch, the kids get to eat all they want ;) watch warmups...eat again! watch the game...eat again!! Lol (I have 1 in college who eats like a horse and a younger one who loves all the snacks!). We are a hockey family so I can't miss a shift :)

Plus...great being in the bowl at center ice!

They could have at least put them on the same side as the camera.  That way we don't have to see all the empty black seats from the center ice camera on TV.  lol

Edited by Mike Brown

I think the idea of being able to watch a live hockey game in the comfort of a bar or lounge is too enticing.  I wish they could have found a better location for the club seats.

where else are you supposed to put them.. they are supposed to be the best seats in the house and that is the prime spot to sit obviously.. i still have not gotten to sit in a club seat and experience the free food in the lounges ...its tough to justify spending that kind of money when i attend 20 if not more games a year... on top of bringing the girl to atleast half of those as well.. talk about expensive!

where else are you supposed to put them.. they are supposed to be the best seats in the house and that is the prime spot to sit obviously.. i still have not gotten to sit in a club seat and experience the free food in the lounges ...its tough to justify spending that kind of money when i attend 20 if not more games a year... on top of bringing the girl to atleast half of those as well.. talk about expensive!

Only one other team has the center ice lower bowl seats as some sort of club seats.  The other team is the Panthers.  In the end, it's not a huge deal either way though.

Only one other team has the center ice lower bowl seats as some sort of club seats. The other team is the Panthers. In the end, it's not a huge deal either way though.

Just off the top of my head, the Coyotes have "club seats" behind both benches, and the Flyers and Bruins have lower bowl club seats but further off the ice.. I think a bunch of other teams have lower bowl "club seats" but the club may not be immediately accessible from the section

The Bruins and Flyers did it right though.. They put their club seats further back off the ice so that people leaving their seats to get food aren't on TV, while regular folks fill the seats on TV.. If I was the billionaire owner I'd extend the club seats to sections 6, 10, 17, and 21, but only make the back half of those sections the actual club seats.. That way, the ones on TV are filled and you didn't lose a lot of club seats

I can see why they though the club seats closer to the glass would be this big draw, but I think the all-you-can-eat has proven to be the real value and people are willing to not sit in their seats during play so they can eat