2013-2014 Attendance

Mike Brown

it should have been worse, that's all on the back of STH.   There is no reason to go out and buy single game tickets.   And no, the western teams are not draws.  One of the big factors last year (other than only having to play the second year of the season calendar, where they always draw better) was that there were no western teams on the schedule.

It depends on the western conference team. If Minny or Detroit or Chicago walked into our building it would've sold out.

Vancouver...they're not anonymous nobodies like Phoenix.

It depends on the western conference team. If Minny or Detroit or Chicago walked into our building it would've sold out.

Vancouver...they're not anonymous nobodies like Phoenix.

By western, I mean western.   You'd have to see the 2nd to last time they were in.   Detriot and Chicago travel.    Vancouver is not a draw.    It really should have been worse but I guess they moved enough ST to avoid it.   Next season is when it'll get ugly.

16.5K on a Friday in February 2012

Edited by maxpower

Florida, Nashville...those are meh opponents. Vancouver is a team with a fairly high profile that was in the finals in recent memory. Mon-Tues-Wed are the dead dates....Thurs I'd expect a little better. The fact that we only had 13,200 is very disappointing. That's already close to Nassau Coliseum territory. This should've been a 15k night at least

Vancouver isn't that high of a profile team at all actually.  They're near the bottom in terms of media coverage in Canada.

Toronto

Montreal

Alberta Teams

Winnipeg

Ottawa

Vancouver

• 1 month later...

I am a full season STH. I paid for every game. I don't know what youre talking about. If you got a free game with your partial plan great, but those aren't season tickets.

Well maybe it was only a select few STHs who got it. My friend who is a full STH got the free game as well. He too didn't go to the LA game.

Looked packed last night. I was pleasantly shocked.

It was a free game for probably 1/4 of the people who went.

From what I understand they stopped counting premium seats (suites, I presume) and "standing room only" seats (though I'm not sure they ever sold SROs in the first place - the only places I can think of where you could watch as an SRO would be Goal Bar and the clubs, but they all had a seat associated with them as far as I knew.)

From what I understand they stopped counting premium seats (suites, I presume) and "standing room only" seats (though I'm not sure they ever sold SROs in the first place - the only places I can think of where you could watch as an SRO would be Goal Bar and the clubs, but they all had a seat associated with them as far as I knew.)

TG wrote that they've stopped counting obstructed view seats and SRO.. I know when I was moved to 227 for the 2012 ECF/SCF the seats next to us in the front row were obstructed by the glass and railing at the bottom of the stairs there.. And I believe the team occasionally sold standing room seats in suites

So we magically lost over 1,000 seats?

It's confusing because the first game vs the Isles was a 16,664 and it wasn't called a sellout.

TG wrote that they've stopped counting obstructed view seats and SRO.. I know when I was moved to 227 for the 2012 ECF/SCF the seats next to us in the front row were obstructed by the glass and railing at the bottom of the stairs there.. And I believe the team occasionally sold standing room seats in suites

I didn't like this move because for the final, 227 was completely secluded. Why couldn't they give the press 227 instead?

I didn't like this move because for the final, 227 was completely secluded. Why couldn't they give the press 227 instead?

Hey I hear you.. My brother and I always said how we wanted to see the Devils win the Cup from our seats.. Apparently that's never going to be possible lol

While the new guys apparently have had success boosting ticket sales in other markets, I think it's a bridge too far with the Devils.  Think about it, there are more hockey teams in the area than there are baseball, football and basketball teams, all of which have a bigger following than hockey.  It could get even worse when the Isles are at the Barclay's Center full time.  While there's a lot of money in northern Jersey, a lot of that money is made by people that work in the city, a nice chunk of whom are Ranger fans. 

And the really big corporate money, or at least that which is going to shell out tens of thousands a years for tickets to entertain clients, is mostly based in New York.  Take law firms.  There are, off the top of my head, at least 50 mega law firms that have offices in New York City.  That's all money that would go towards tickets at the Garden.  In northern Jersey, you maybe have 5 law firms that are big enough to afford to pay for hockey tickets on a regular basis.  Then you take the big investment banks, which are almost entirely based in New York. 

While the new guys apparently have had success boosting ticket sales in other markets, I think it's a bridge too far with the Devils.  Think about it, there are more hockey teams in the area than there are baseball, football and basketball teams, all of which have a bigger following than hockey.  It could get even worse when the Isles are at the Barclay's Center full time.  While there's a lot of money in northern Jersey, a lot of that money is made by people that work in the city, a nice chunk of whom are Ranger fans. 

And the really big corporate money, or at least that which is going to shell out tens of thousands a years for tickets to entertain clients, is mostly based in New York.  Take law firms.  There are, off the top of my head, at least 50 mega law firms that have offices in New York City.  That's all money that would go towards tickets at the Garden.  In northern Jersey, you maybe have 5 law firms that are big enough to afford to pay for hockey tickets on a regular basis.  Then you take the big investment banks, which are almost entirely based in New York. 

It's more of a long road then a bridge too far, This new organizational team has to undo 30 years of non-existent marketing, first. Then they have to get the Northern NJ corporations to spend their money in NJ. Both these things will go hand in hand. They have the building to do it which is an advantage and they have fans willing to attend if the tickets are leveled off to fit the clientele. 

No one said this is going to turn around overnight. These guys have some serious work ahead of them. Missing the playoffs (potentially) 3 out of the last 4 years while losing 3 of your 4 most marketable players isn't going to sell anyone on anything, let alone a team that's probably 7th or 8th in popularity within in the region. The on-ice product needs a boost as well. It's difficult to sell this product as-is right now.

Remember, these are owners who became billionaires buying distressed businesses and reshaping them and hiring the right people around them. The Devils do qualify as a distressed business and they will get turned around. 

Edited by TheRedStorm

I'm thankful for the new owners in saving the team from financial hell.  On the rare occasion when the Devils do sellout, it's always filled with true hardcore fans.  Take a team like the Rangers for example.  Sure their attendance might read 18,006 every game, but how many of those are the true hardcore hockey fan?  But if corporate help can make this team into perennial contenders year in and year out, I'm all for it.  But this team has been perennial contenders without it for over 20 years now even though in the past 4 seasons, it hasn't been the case.

Not exactly true. There are plenty of law firms and businesses in northern NJ to sell out the club sections in the lower bowl through either full or partial season ticket plans. The bigger problem is the luxury suites, which are a much harder sell since, realistically, only large corporations with large entertainment budgets can afford them.

They are smart to go after the corporate clientele. Normal fans bringing their family to a game can't afford the club seats, and that is their biggest ticket item outside of the suites.they should focus on getting them sold. Also good that they are increasing the sales staff and hope they follow through with increasing STH events to help boost retention. With the right focus and marketing, there is no reason this team can't mainly fill that arena on a consistent basis.

yeah we're in a tough area, 4 hockey teams and the NHL isnt the most popular sport in these parts

wont be easy to get a full house on a regular basis

Hockey in the part of NJ I live is actually more popular than basketball imo.  I remember as a kid, everybody in my grade school would talk about the SCF as much as the Super Bowl and World Series.  Almost nobody talked about the NBA.  I see a lot of people walking around with Devils and Rangers hats, t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc.  Nets and Knicks stuff is almost non-existent by me.