Scheider back-to-back

TomsRiverDevil

wonder how Marty is really taking this, not what he says for soundbytes...is he finally coming to terms with the fact he isn't Super Goalie anymore?

I'm sure he doesn't like it, but at the same time, I think he realizes it is what it is.  No matter how hard he works, or how great he once was, he's losing the battle that EVERY great athlete succumbs to eventually...the battle against time and aging...unless they go out 100% on their own terms while they've still got something left (like John Elway, Mariano Rivera and a few select others). 

The Devils gave him a pretty fair shot to be a co-#1, given his age and his play last year.  The other guy is simply playing better, and by a significant margin.  I think if he looks at it logically, he can't expect the Devils to keep giving him chances at everyone else's expense.  Hopefully he's not angry with anyone (even himself).   

I'm sure he doesn't like it, but at the same time, I think he realizes it is what it is.  No matter how hard he works, or how great he once was, he's losing the battle that EVERY great athlete succumbs to eventually...the battle against time and aging...unless they go out 100% on their own terms while they've still got something left (like John Elway, Mariano Rivera and a few select others). 

The Devils gave him a pretty fair shot to be a co-#1, given his age and his play last year.  The other guy is simply playing better, and by a significant margin.  I think if he looks at it logically, he can't expect the Devils to keep giving him chances at everyone else's expense.  Hopefully he's not angry with anyone (even himself).

sad to see his time coming to an end here

the true test is actually going to be thursday. if schneider doesn't get bombed on tuesday, he should get that game too. if so, then i think our worries about marty are over.

We don't really know how DeBoer is going to handle this - some coaches in this spot go with a 'one guy starts until he loses' philosophy, and the Devils lost their first 7, so, yeah.  I'm sure we'll get a few complaining quotes out of Brodeur today.

sad to see his time coming to an end here

It always is, especially when it gets ugly, and especially when the player involved was one of the very best at what he did.  And an .878 save% in this era over an 18-game stretch (where he's looked about as bad as that save% would suggest) is about as ugly as it gets.   

It always is, especially when it gets ugly, and especially when the player involved was one of the very best at what he did.  And an .878 save% in this era over an 18-game stretch (where he's looked about as bad as that save% would suggest) is about as ugly as it gets.   

It would have been one thing had Marty gotten a win or two to start the season, especially when at least two of those games were very winnable. 

The number of back to back games gives the opportunity for Marty to get enough starts to save face.  If he manages to get a few wins on the upcoming ones, he can probably have his total starts to be on pace for something in the 28 to 33 range, which I think will be enough for him to take it in stride. 

It would have been one thing had Marty gotten a win or two to start the season, especially when at least two of those games were very winnable. 

The number of back to back games gives the opportunity for Marty to get enough starts to save face.  If he manages to get a few wins on the upcoming ones, he can probably have his total starts to be on pace for something in the 28 to 33 range, which I think will be enough for him to take it in stride. 

That's the killer...right now he hasn't shown that he can win games no matter how many goals the Devils score for him.  Anybody who feels otherwise is holding him to the wrong (and unfair) standard. 

If he can be around .500 over 25 starts or so, and finish with a save% approaching .900, I think the Devils have to take it.  And hopefully Marty won't be hinting at doing anything else next season other than retiring.  Don't put the Devils in the position of telling you it's over. 

That's the killer...right now he hasn't shown that he can win games no matter how many goals the Devils score for him.  Anybody who feels otherwise is holding him to the wrong (and unfair) standard. 

If he can be around .500 over 25 starts or so, and finish with a save% approaching .900, I think the Devils have to take it.  And hopefully Marty won't be hinting at doing anything else next season other than retiring.  Don't put the Devils in the position of telling you it's over. 

Experienced backup for next year? I wouldn't mind. I know a lot of people think Marty would never go for that, but he was able to find some joy during team Canada's run in 2010.

“Looking back at it, you go through these things in your career and you have to adjust,” Brodeur told writer Rich Chere. “Being part of a winning organization (Team Canada) is always really rewarding. I didn’t know how I was going to react, but I really got into it. It was fun to see some of these young guys doing well.”

Experienced backup for next year? I wouldn't mind. I know a lot of people think Marty would never go for that, but he was able to find some joy during team Canada's run in 2010.

The problem is being a backup might not make any difference, if Marty can't do the job anymore.  I don't think Marty will struggle because he's overworked.  I think he'll struggle because he's old, has played in a LOT of games (1,429 of them), and simply is losing his abilities. 

The games started by the backup are important too.  As sad as it sounds, Marty is trending towards being one of the worst goalies in the NHL right now.  I just want to see him get through this season as painlessly as possible, and call it quits.  Nothing wrong with a 42-year-old doing that. 

I was really trying to get at that, that PDB would probably be willing to let the poor save percentage slide as long as the wins were there.  If he's not even getting the wins over the next six weeks or so, Marty might eventually be a back-up in the ordinary sense.  $4 million to be a back-up is not a bad deal. 

I was really trying to get at that, that PDB would probably be willing to let the poor save percentage slide as long as the wins were there.  If he's not even getting the wins over the next six weeks or so, Marty might eventually be a back-up in the ordinary sense.  $4 million to be a back-up is not a bad deal. 

We all had a sense that this last contract could wind up being a "thank you" sort...the chances of him living up to the actual monetary value of it were going to be slim, but considering he always took reasonable deals and made Lou's job pretty easy once Marty canned his agent, it's a pretty small price to pay.  And it's not like Lou was going to be brutally honest with Marty and say, "You know, chances are on the second year of this deal, you might not have anything left, so here's two years at about $2.5 million per...take it or leave it", even though Lou's business side knew that this final deal for Marty, once the numbers were agreed upon, was going to be a bad one, from a strict "performance for dollars" standpoint.  But clearly the Devils would've come off as extremely cold and unappreciative if they had tried to present a contract based on what Marty was likely to do, and not only that, Marty had played wery well over the last few months of the 2011-12 season.  Based on that alone, Marty could've gotten another $500k or so per season out of the Devils if he had really wanted to.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Plus supposedly Marty was getting even higher offers in FA than what the Devils gave him, and PR-wise they couldn't have really played hardball with him at that point, at least not any more than they did since they weren't willing to go two years until he got that from multiple teams in FA.

Plus supposedly Marty was getting even higher offers in FA than what the Devils gave him, and PR-wise they couldn't have really played hardball with him at that point, at least not any more than they did since they weren't willing to go two years until he got that from multiple teams in FA.

The exit strategy is usually a tough one for all involved.  There are fans who wanted to see Marty finish out his career as a Devil, no matter what, even though they knew it could get ugly...they're getting their wish, but there's a cost (losing otherwise winnable games, seeing the guy you admired for so long scuffling).  The best thing was Lou getting Schneider, so the Devils wouldn't be forced to keep throwing Brodeur out there if he kept playing to his current level and couldn't do anything about it, or even worse, have to bring in a lesser name in-season or promote a guy like Kinkaid.  For Marty, there's a lot less shame in losing your job to a terrific young goalie in Schneider who Lou was willing to give up a 1st-round pick for.   

Marty is the reason this team will NOT win a big trophy. He runs the "back office" and people are worried about his feelings.

Funny as I think Marty is getting cockier with age...

I don't think Lou would have traded for Schneider without telling Marty if that we're the case.