Bobby Orr on Francesa

MDPucks

The great Bobby Orr did an hour studio interview with Francesa today.  Francesa might not know much about hockey but he is a heck of an interviewer.  Go to www.wfan.com and the Francesa podcast section.  Great stuff on Bobby's life, Alan Eagleson, youth sports today, the old Bruins teams, and the NHL today.

Happened to be on lunch and listened to about half of this.. Mike did a great job interviewing him and seemed to know a lot about hockey from that era.. I wonder why he knows so much hockey history but couldn't care less about it when the Rangers aren't in the playoffs?

Happened to be on lunch and listened to about half of this.. Mike did a great job interviewing him and seemed to know a lot about hockey from that era.. I wonder why he knows so much hockey history but couldn't care less about it when the Rangers aren't in the playoffs?

Mike's usually terrible at interviewing (and many other things).  I'm guessing he actually did a little research before this one.  Did he let Orr actually finish his sentences?  Mike often interrupts and/or tramples over his subjects' answers (usually to try to show eveyone how much HE knows)...he does that a LOT.

Mike's usually terrible at interviewing (and many other things). I'm guessing he actually did a little research before this one. Did he let Orr actually finish his sentences? Mike often interrupts and/or tramples over his subjects' answers (usually to try to show eveyone how much HE knows)...he does that a LOT.

Yeah I mean it was weird.. He actually read Orr's book and knew a lot about him and his history (seemed like Bobby is a friend of Mike's).. He gave Orr the same high respect that he would some elite HOF baseball player.. So uncharacteristic of Mike!

Yeah I mean it was weird.. He actually read Orr's book and knew a lot about him and his history (seemed like Bobby is a friend of Mike's).. He gave Orr the same high respect that he would some elite HOF baseball player.. So uncharacteristic of Mike!

The Mike Francesa phenomenon will always fascinate me.  The guy is so incredibly terrible at his job, especially when compared to many of his peers.  He has a bad radio voice.  His idea of making a point is to stammer, stutter, and repeat the same things over and over again.  Whenever he's proven wrong about something (which happens quite a bit), he acts like it never happened, or clumsily tries to explain his way out of why he wasn't wrong.  He talks down to the callers who are actually dumb enough to call into his show (what do they think Mike knows that they don't?).  He has no sense of humor, especially about himself, and seems to relish every opportunity to let his audience know that he's been doing this for 25 years.

Phil Mushnick is kind of a one-trick pony (basically just bashes almost everyone on air), but he does a great job exposing Francesa for what he really is...and how profoundly untalented he is at that.

Nice fiesty.  You should check out the 1776 Francesa impression on youtube.  The guy doing Francesa nails him.

The Mike Francesa phenomenon will always fascinate me.  The guy is so incredibly terrible at his job, especially when compared to many of his peers.  He has a bad radio voice.  His idea of making a point is to stammer, stutter, and repeat the same things over and over again.  Whenever he's proven wrong about something (which happens quite a bit), he acts like it never happened, or clumsily tries to explain his way out of why he wasn't wrong.  He talks down to the callers who are actually dumb enough to call into his show (what do they think Mike knows that they don't?).  He has no sense of humor, especially about himself, and seems to relish every opportunity to let his audience know that he's been doing this for 25 years.

Phil Mushnick is kind of a one-trick pony (basically just bashes almost everyone on air), but he does a great job exposing Francesa for what he really is...and how profoundly untalented he is at that.

Agreed on Phil.  Phil also goes out of his way to praise Doc any time he can get.  He has said many times in his column that Doc is the best PBP person in any sport right now.

Caller named Scott trying to make point that refutes Francesa's...Francesa's response: 

SCOTT! SCOTT! SCOTT! SCOTT! WAITASECKIN! WAITASECKIN! SCOTT! SCOTT! WAITASECKIN! SCOTT! SCOTT!...caller gets hung up on

I dunno what dat guy was tawkin about.

original.gif

Haha everyday I youtube "mike francesa" and look at the videos from that day. It brightens my day when people prank him. They've been a little quick dump button recently though so thats disappointing. Opie and Anthony and jim norton always discuss his best prank calls. Francesser was unlistenable when talking about the redskins the other day though. Also when it comes to hockey hes the worst.

Haha everyday I youtube "mike francesa" and look at the videos from that day. It brightens my day when people prank him. They've been a little quick dump button recently though so thats disappointing. Opie and Anthony and jim norton always discuss his best prank calls. Francesser was unlistenable when talking about the redskins the other day though. Also when it comes to hockey hes the worst.

That Redskins day is when he got some of his best prank calls and Francesa moments in.  A caller compared the Syracuse Orangemen to the Redskins and said Orangemen was offensive.  Mike said - "waitaseckin...waitaseckin...offensive? offensive to who? offensive to da orange people? to da pumpkins? jack-o-lanterns? I mean...come on now!!"

That day was mongo gold.

Edited by gardenstatepkwy