For those of you who thought Marty would object...

msweet

What's Marty gonna say really?  I mean, he has to tow the company line and show he has class, but in my opinion something is brewing inside.

Of course something is brewing. He's a human being still. He's seeing something he spent his whole like working at coming to an end. But he's being supportive of the coaching decision and Schneider, and acknowledging that the situation is what it is.

i'll eat crow - i did not expect to get this kind of statement from marty. i'm very happy he said it.

Me too, I'm very impressed.

Honestly, it makes it easier to watch him now and just hope that he has a good outing without fear that a half decent effort will cost Schneider playing time. This team is going to need Vezina caliber goaltending on most nights not to piss away a top 10 draft pick and the younger guy gives us a better chance at this point. Hopefully Cory can play up to the level Marty did in the regular seasons of 20056-07 and 07-08 because we're going to need it. I don't think Brodeur ever really got the credit he deserved for just how good he was in those regular seasons covering for another pretty marginal roster Lou put together. I know he got the Vezina but those regular seasons really could have been mentioned along side some of Haseks best work. Instead it was usually talk about the system.

Anyway, back on topic, very classy by Marty.

I am surprised at the surprise of alot of people here

We all know Marty isn't happy about it, but I expected him to give the company line the whole way

I'm only surprised it happened this soon really.  Today feels like stage one of Marty's eventual exit.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I am not a Marty hater, but I thought he was "done" a few years back, but man, I do feel for him because he lost his father and is now dealing with this which is probably eating him alive from the inside. I hope MB30 can reinvent himself to a back up mentality because, if he chose to, he could add on to his career and be a big factor for this team down the line. It will all come down to how well the team competes and if he likes being around the hockey boys more than his wife.  

Well, I didnt expect him to be an ass, not in the public eye anyhow.  He's always very balanced.  He dips a toe in to see what sort of reaction he gets. When it's positive he pushes further as with Queen Henry's pads :giggle: . He wants to be loved and respected and he's a reader and manipulator of people - its the nature of the position.

He tried a little outrage -pretty quickly he saw it was flying with no one. Fans are not being gracious about his fall, because they fear his ego will misread their melancholy/nostalgia for actual support.   If he's going to bounce back he'll need fan support.  Tantrums, self-righteous whining, this is no way to curry favor and get his way.  I'm not saying he's being dishonest or manipulative - he just sees things clearly - he has to be truthful if he hopes to be treated fairly (which means given the unearned benefit of the doubt when push comes to shove - shee-it he sees Gionta keep playing, day in day out :uni: ).

I also don't think it's eating him up inside.  He's OLD.  That's the only thing that will bug him at the end of the day and he's not that kind of person.  He'll find stuff to like about being old.  He'll be agitated and frustrated but nothing will eat away at his soul.  Man, how pathetic do you think he is? So dramatic :P

Edited by Pepperkorn
  • Like 2

Well, I didnt expect him to be an ass, not in the public eye anyhow.  He's always very balanced.  He dips a toe in to see what sort of reaction he gets. When it's positive he pushes further as with Queen Henry's pads :giggle: . He wants to be loved and respected and he's a reader and manipulator of people - its the nature of the position.

I also don't think it's eating him up inside.  He's OLD.  That's the only thing that will bug him at the end of the day and he's not that kind of person.  He'll find stuff to like about being old.  He'll be agitated and frustrated but nothing will eat away at his soul.  Man, how pathetic do you think he is? So dramatic :P

brilliant pk, can i ask what you think of larsson's psyche?

serious question; is it one of culture, age or personality?

or is lou just a sucker for an old soul

sry offtopic

Edited by lazer

Man, this article about Marty by Chere got me sad.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2013/10/post_35.html

Yeah, as much as harsh reality dictated that we would get here someday, it still sucks that someday has arrived.  But the article really put it in perspective...the guy was so good for so long, and though I already knew this, what's 100% true is that we were incrediby lucky to watch him play...his entire friggin' career HERE, no less!  Makes we wonder what the hell the mean-spirited type Devils "fans" are thinking when they're taking jabs at him. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Yeah, as much as harsh reality dictated that we would get here someday, it still sucks that someday has arrived.  But the article really put it in perspective...the guy was so good for so long, and though I already knew this, what's 100% true is that we were incrediby lucky to watch him play...his entire friggin' career HERE, no less!  Makes we wonder what the hell the mean-spirited type Devils "fans" are thinking when they're taking jabs at him. 

This. It's amazing to see people kicking him when he's down, and seemingly taking joy in doing it. Also, I love how matter of fact and honest Holik is. You don't see that in the hockey world too much. (of course, he sort of stays out of the hockey world now, haha)

As signs point to the end, Devils Brodeur shows his usual grace

Friday, October 25, 2013

By TARA SULLIVAN
THE RECORD

Just as he promised he would do since the day Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello acquired Schneider in an off-season trade, Brodeur put his franchise first, acknowledging that what’s best for the Devils is no longer an immediate match to what’s best for him.

“I haven’t changed. I want to play every game. It’s not fun to sit,” he said. “The body feels good. That’s about it. It’s hard when you’re used to being the guy that’s counted on to play, and all the sudden you’re not asked to. It definitely makes it a little hard, but it’s part of the process of getting older.

“I hate not playing. That’s the bottom line. I play hockey to play hockey, not to watch and practice. But I’m happy it happens at 41 and not at 27.”

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pro_sports/hockey/devils/Sullivan_As_signs_point_to_the_end_Brodeur_shows_his_usual_grace.html#sthash.mw46mWrn.dpuf

Edited by 95Crash

He's not THAT bad ...  it's just that he was that good. 

Honestly it bugs me most when people do act like he's sickly.  He's not sickly and he's still in the game, just relegated to normal NHL talent. 

I've always been a little weird this way, but getting older isn't depressing.  Broduer isn't hobbled. He hasn't been given a death sentence.  He's not an old arthritic dog pissing in the crease,  losing control of his bowels on ice. 

He's not THAT bad ...  it's just that he was that good. 

Honestly it bugs me most when people do act like he's sickly.  He's not sickly and he's still in the game, just relegated to normal NHL talent.

I've always been a little weird this way, but getting older isn't depressing.  Broduer isn't hobbled. He hasn't been given a death sentence.  He's not an old arthritic dog pissing in the crease,  losing control of his bowels on ice. 

If only that was true.  He's not a former .340 hitter now hitting .275.  He's a former .340 hitter struggling to hit .200.  Like Babe Ruth at the end, he'll probably give us what equates to a 3-HR kind of day once or twice, but the .878 save% over his last 18 GP kind of spells out what he now is.     

Man, this is depressing. It's like watching the dog or cat you grew up with barely walk around with arthritis in his bones :(

LOL ... i dont think marty is the "back up" yet.. what did everyone think here was going to happen this season.. the man is old hes still going to play however .. enjoy it when he does instead of hating on him because this will probably be his last season id have to imagine.