GDT #10 - Canucks @ Devils 7:00 PM ET

Z-Man

Even if they were getting a few more wins, this isn't a very enjoyable team to watch. Just really ugly hockey.

I don't think you are going nuts, but you recently called out posters for going way overboard for pretty much the same reaction that you just had only a week earlier.

I don't really think that was true tonight.  A dismal first, yeah, even though they scored 2, but there was some nice puck movement tonight, especially in the 3rd period.  They weren't settling for point shots - there were solid close in chances.  It's frustrating because it just seems like everything can't work on the same night - as Schneider said, this is a game NJ should've cruised to victory in, they allowed very few scoring chances.

How long does it take for people to get tired of hearing themselves talk about puck luck and taking positives out of extended losing streaks and periods of complete futility? Apparently 60 games isnt enough.

I know how long it takes to stop having to see your tripe.  .0000001 second

People are blaming Cory for this?

If Brodeur started this game the Canucks would have scored on every shot, please.

I can't agree with this. This is exactly the type of game I would jump on Brodeur for, for the last several years. There's no need to take a shot at Marty. At this point it's just unfortunate that we can't get everyone clicking at the same time to get a f'ing win.

My thoughts:

The line of Elias, Jagr Loktianov was impressive. I thought the team looked balanced.

The team seemed to have more energy, plays seemed to be quicker and sharper.

Cory had a very off night, both those goals were on him, hopefully he hasn’t lost any confidence and isn’t one of those goalies who lets stuff get into his head.

We really did not deserve a loss based on that performance.

The commentary from Steve and Chico has reached the lowest point since they have been together, and easily the lowest since i have been a fan of the Devils. They are actually shameful.

They blew every call on the extended highlights i saw and a were awful when i was streaming the game before i eventually passed out at 1.30am. It’s so unprofessional, I hope when Chico goes, they also get rid of Steve and go for a fresh approach.

When Steve called the second goal for Vancouver and announced it as Kessler, you could clearly see that it was not him. And then Steve after he has made his mistake he nonchalantly said:

“Never the less its 2-2”

And Chico then hasn’t got a clue how the puck went in, he is talking a load of old bollock$.

Its embarrassing.

Thought the team played a solid D game, just a shame that Schneider had an off night. Happy with the 3rd period - the Devils had 12 shots thru 2 and then put up 17 in the 3rd. Only allowed Vancouver 21 in 65 minutes. I also liked the discipline, only took 2 penalties (both Zidlicky) in 65 minutes but drew 3 (Gionta drew 2). Also did better on faceoffs tonight - Zajac 10/17, Loktionov 5/8, Gionta 6/12. Though Henrique struggled at 4/14 but he was going up against Kesler most of the time to be fair. Zubrus-Henrique-Ryder along with Greene-Fayne did well against the Sedins line for the most part tonight. Loktionov looked better tonight, Brunner was more involved, and Jagr seems to have his legs under him recently, I guess the lack of preseason action affected him a bit early on.

With all that positive stuff said, this team needs to start getting W's somehow.

Pretty much how I feel.  Sure, there were positives, but damn this team needs to start finding a way to actually win games.  At least they're not alone in this division, as far as lousy records go.  They can still dig themselves out, but it has to happen soon.

the lack of finishers on the team puts pressure on everyone. im watching the game for those few chances where ryder gets the puck in front it seems, zajac i've already conceded that the puck will be weakly shot at the goalies chest pad :(

The D played well, although the cannucks looked slow to start. Gelanis was refreshing, kid was calm with the puck, but quick with the body. he held on to it when he needed to, showed good D board work. and is one of the few who has a strong shot. thought the dynamic with larsson was good too, it forced adam into a leader role and i think it showed a bit in livelier play from him (did he actually rush the puck up???!!!)

jagr looks solid with patty and (insert a name)

good thing cory took the blame, I was pi$$ed at him

I don't think it's that ridiculous. Marty is the only player left from the last cup winning team. Langs was the second to last. This team has been changing its dynamic for the past few years. Now Lou almost avoided the bottoming out if guys like Parise, Kovy and Clarkson had stayed, but this is what bottoming out looks like. Basically guys like Jagr and Ryder are stop gaps until younger players can come up and develop a new Devils team.

More like Lou needs to get rid of some D for some D.

Elias was also on the last cup team.

good thing cory took the blame, I was pi$$ed at him

At the very least, Cory's a stand-up guy.  Guys like that who ALSO have talent help pull you out of malaises.

And the good news is, even though I'd say Cory's been uneven so far, he's still put up a 2.14 GAA and .915 save%.  The save% isn't that bad, and should only improve. 

At the very least, Cory's a stand-up guy.  Guys like that who ALSO have talent help pull you out of malaises.

And the good news is, even though I'd say Cory's been uneven so far, he's still put up a 2.14 GAA and .915 save%.  The save% isn't that bad, and should only improve. 

In the games where he's seen more shots he's done well, the games with fewer shots he hasn't.  Plus he pitched a shutout, that always helps the SV%.

Part of what impressed me about last night was how the power play looked - they get that kind of power play and the goaltending improves, they're going to start peeling off Ws.

I don't think it's that ridiculous. Marty is the only player left from the last cup winning team. Langs was the second to last. This team has been changing its dynamic for the past few years. Now Lou almost avoided the bottoming out if guys like Parise, Kovy and Clarkson had stayed, but this is what bottoming out looks like. Basically guys like Jagr and Ryder are stop gaps until younger players can come up and develop a new Devils team.

More like Lou needs to get rid of some D for some D.

there's a lot of room between cup contention and bottom feeders. You made it sound like a fact that we will be bottom feeders for the foreseeable future. I simply refuted that by saying Lou will never accept that kind of on ice product. Heck I still think this team will turn it around and be playoff contenders this season.

Well ya I'm always going to compare the Devils and Rangers to each other because I hate them.

I'm just sick of losing. This team hasn't done it in 20 years so there's no reason to start now.

They're no end in sight now.

the difference between the rangers and devils so far is that the rangers have looked abysmal in the majority of their games. The devils on he other hand have been in just about every game and really should have won at least 3 of them.

I understand there are no such things as moral victories, but the devils have a much better feel to them at this point. I'd be surprised if the rangers are not a bottom 10 team his year. I wouldn't be surprised if he devils challenge for a playoff spot.

• Like 1

Yep - the PP looked completely different with Gelinas.

what I liked most about gelinas is that he made quick, confident decisions. Which is the exact opposite of most of our defenseman, zidlicky too at times. I don't expect him to pot a pp goal every game, but the way he rips passes and posses the puck just shows a decisiveness that this team so badly needs at times.

In the games where he's seen more shots he's done well, the games with fewer shots he hasn't.  Plus he pitched a shutout, that always helps the SV%.

Part of what impressed me about last night was how the power play looked - they get that kind of power play and the goaltending improves, they're going to start peeling off Ws.

That's why I mentioned him being uneven.  His individual game save%s have kind of been all over the place:  .857, .906, .941, 1.000, .870, .905.  Sure, if you want to take the shutout out, his season % is only .901.  Not saying he's been great (and those two goals were awful yesterday), but my only point was, even with uneven play, the overall numbers, while misleading, are still at least respectable.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It wasn't just when Gelinas was on the ice though. The team played well without him on the ice.

to my eyes the pp has steadily improved over the past 4 games or so, and it seems they biggest reason for that is jagr has really taken the reins. Perhaps it just took a few games for everyone to follow his lead.

to my eyes the pp has steadily improved over the past 4 games or so, and it seems they biggest reason for that is jagr has really taken the reins. Perhaps it just took a few games for everyone to follow his lead.

how many more games is it going to take to start winning and winning consecutively.. i dont really get it, most games this team looks pretty dominant and they look lke the better team last night for example.. but its like they just cant finish or they blow a big lead or one mistake and thats the game.. last night i think it was on cory. He came out of the net to try to play the puck on the first goal and got himself caught. couldve been atleast a 2-1 W for nj last night if that didnt happen.

how many more games is it going to take to start winning and winning consecutively.. i dont really get it, most games this team looks pretty dominant and they look lke the better team last night for example.. but its like they just cant finish or they blow a big lead or one mistake and thats the game.. last night i think it was on cory. He came out of the net to try to play the puck on the first goal and got himself caught. couldve been atleast a 2-1 W for nj last night if that didnt happen.

it is very frustrating. We were the better team last night, and the same thing goes for the sens flames and oil games. I would even say we were better than Columbus.

It just seems something else goes wrong every night. We never fire on all cylinders. It would be a lot easier to swallow these losses if the same problems keep causing them, but one night the defense is atrocious, the next they're awesome and the goalie stinks. And the next game we can't score.