Phireworks in Filly!

Biggie B

It's a team building exercise when you don't get one of your star players hurt during it.    There's going to be a ton of negative attention on this.   The league now has to suspend people for borderline (or formerly legal) hits, and you have the only goalie who could hold his own with goons rabbit punching another goalie while he's down... while a ref is watching. 

That was a total mess.   It's pretty much 180 degrees from the perception the league wants, rightly or wrongly

Thing is, I don't see what Emery did that's suspendable, at least according to previous interpretations of the rules.  It's perfectly okay to pound the crap out of someone like that, you just get an instigator penalty and a game misconduct.

Francois St Laurent was the moronic ref allowing Holtby to get jumped.

I believe instigator penalties are suspendable.Further edit: I think when you rack up 29 mins the league can find a way to suspend you

Edited by devlman

Thing is, I don't see what Emery did that's suspendable, at least according to previous interpretations of the rules.  It's perfectly okay to pound the crap out of someone like that, you just get an instigator penalty and a game misconduct.

Yep, but that's the mixed message they send.   I guess he can get one of those comic 4 figure fines for being a nuisance, that's about it.   Still, no goalie should be fighting that guy and for the Caps to stand around and let Holtby get pummeled by him is just soft.

Edited by maxpower

Francois St Laurent was the moronic ref allowing Holtby to get jumped.

I believe instigator penalties are suspendable.Further edit: I think when you rack up 29 mins the league can find a way to suspend you

the first person to be suspended out of all if this is st Laurent who literally watched holtby take ten knocks to the head while he was on the ground.

Second person should be Simmons as his hit that started the whole thing was an elbow targeting the head.

Carkner got 1 playoff game for beating the crap out of Boyle in 2012. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94r8eauXqkU

Referees rarely break up fights, that is the linesmen's job.  The refs need to keep an eye out to make sure they get the calls right and also to make sure no cheap shots are thrown behind their back while the linesman jump in to break up the fight.  Of course, the linesmen were busy already, and since Holtby obviously did not want to fight, St. Laurent tried to stop the fight from happening until Holtby took his mask off and started throwing punches of his own.  From then on, it's a normal fight between two willing combatants, and while Holtby was getting the crap kicked out of him, he kept trying to get back up and continue fighting.  Holtby was not getting sucker punched, no punches were thrown until he was a willing participant.  When he was eventually taken down with Emery on top of him, it seems like Emery stopped throwing punches and the linesmen jumped in to separate them.  Seemed like normal fight protocol to me.

Emery is a tool, though.

Edited by devilsfan26

1) simmonds is a phenomenal hockey player that I would kill to have on my team. One of the top power fowards in the league without a doubt, and this play just shows the fire he has to compete.

2) Im fully for the frame of thought that if you can't beat em, beat em up. No team should take a 7-0 beating lying down. Put a little bit of doubt in your opponents for the next time yous play, this way you're not seen as a pushover. Yeah people are going to hate you, but you're not out there to make friends or impress fans from other teams.

The only thing sickening about that goalie fight is no one jumped in to protect their goalie on the Washington side.  That is pathetic.  Other than that it's great for the game.  Fighting belongs in hockey its been there since the beginning and should never be banished.

Edited by capo

Yep, but that's the mixed message they send.   I guess he can get one of those comic 4 figure fines for being a nuisance, that's about it.   Still, no goalie should be fighting that guy and for the Caps to stand around and let Holtby get pummeled by him is just soft.

The ref blocked anyone from coming to Holtby's aid.

Pretty gutless move by emery.

Hope the team's ready tonight. Flyers will come out swinging.

Maybe so, but one goal will get them deflated. I also don't know how much 'swinging' they will want to do with Downie and Lecavalier injured. I would imagine the coaching staff has and will tell them again to keep it clean tonight. That having been said, if for some strange reason a brawl starts, I don't even know who on the Devils is able to fight.  Jenssen being sent up? Haha

The ref blocked anyone from coming to Holtby's aid.

this is exactly the problem. I know refs usually don't break up fights, but clearly holtby lost and was done and the ref stood there watching hen turned twice to prevent anyone from interfering on the beat down.

Luckily he didn't seem to get injured but if he did I'm sure this would be a major issue.

this is exactly the problem. I know refs usually don't break up fights, but clearly holtby lost and was done and the ref stood there watching hen turned twice to prevent anyone from interfering on the beat down.

Luckily he didn't seem to get injured but if he did I'm sure this would be a major issue.

Holtby kept getting back to his feet to continue the fight.  People are making it sound like he was down and Emery kept swinging away.  This is not what happened.  It was obviously very one-sided, but once the fight started it's not like Holtby was trying to get away, and when he was ultimately taken down, Emery stopped swinging and the linesmen broke it up.

I work in Philly, I was talking about last night's game with a coworker and she said she was there. I was like, "I feel bad for you" and she said you shouldn't be, I got to see an "epic fight!" I was like I guess that erases a 7-0 drubbing?? Ehhh...

I think I'm going to the game on Thursday night when I get out of work. Anyone else going to that game in Philly?