Jagr wearing the A

thecoffeecake

I'm extremely agitated about this, and I'm curious to hear what everyone else thinks. I know it's only until the regular captains are back, but I don't like the idea of slapping a letter on someone after a dozen or so games in the uniform, under any circumstance. I would rather see almost anyone else that was out there last night wear it.

Maybe it is a glass half full/half empty kind of thing. You say he hasn't earned it because it has only been 12 games, but maybe he has and it is just an example of what kind of guy he really is. Either way none of us will really know because we will never get to see into the locker room. I am sure they don't just hand those letters out to anyone.

He earned it in a way the other guys haven't. I don't care if he got here yesterday, this is a meritocracy.

I get it, he has been one the best players on and I'm sure off the ice. I just feel like the captaincies belong to the franchise guys who have been there with the club. A captain should be a devil. I would've looked at guys like fayne, gionta, bernier, henrique. But I have no idea what goes on off the ice to merit any of those guys, just from what I see. I laughed when Minnesota gave Suter and parise letters the day they signed their contacts. What a completely disrespectful slap to the guys who had been there and fought through mediocrity for years.

I get it, he has been one the best players on and I'm sure off the ice. I just feel like the captaincies belong to the franchise guys who have been there with the club. A captain should be a devil. I would've looked at guys like fayne, gionta, bernier, henrique. But I have no idea what goes on off the ice to merit any of those guys, just from what I see. I laughed when Minnesota gave Suter and parise letters the day they signed their contacts. What a completely disrespectful slap to the guys who had been there and fought through mediocrity for years.

The a's have no deep meaning in this case. It's just the guys who talk to the refs during a game.

I never have a problem with the a's and c's because I feel the coaches/players have a much better idea of who should wear them than I do.

Plus I think fans make a much bigger deal of it than players do especially these fill ins... It's probably just case of we needed someone to wear them and deboer looked around and said the veterans with he best effort should get them.

Because Stevens had been here forever when he got the c.

And irony of ironies, not only did he get it a year after getting here (and less than a year after refusing to report to the team because he didn't want to be here), he took it from a lifer in Bruce Driver.

And you supported that at the time? I was an infant, so I had no opinion on the matter. I don't understand how the mistakes the organization made with the Scott Stevens issue twenty years ago has any relevancy. Just because he became a successful captain doesn't mean everything was handled properly.

And you supported that at the time? I was an infant, so I had no opinion on the matter. I don't understand how the mistakes the organization made with the Scott Stevens issue twenty years ago has any relevancy. Just because he became a successful captain doesn't mean everything was handled properly.

It has relevancy because the greatest captain in our team's history got the C right after coming from a different franchise, which makes your argument, that the captain should be a guy who has been there long term, moot. 

Also, handled improperly? Lou fleeced St. Louis, won Stevens' loyalty, and the organization put petty bullsh!t aside when they realized her would make a great captain. The rest is history.

I'm not saying Jagr is the leader Stevens is, but there is a ton of evidence that he's a great leader, he's playing well and playing hard, when some of the Devils seem not to be. He was rewarded for this, and the idea that he shouldn't be, because he happened to play somewhere else last year, especially when the team has a ton of injuries, and no one else is really stepping up, is ridiculous.

The Stevens situation does not affect my point at all. Just because Stevens was a great captain doesn't mean whatever star waltzes onto the ice with a new jersey deserves a letter. It belongs to hard working franchise guys who lead on and off the ice. Just, because Scott Stevens got it after a year doesn't mean the C should be thrown around to whatever big name decides too sign a contact. I also have a problem with Jagr wearing 68. I dont care who it is, if youre going to play anywhere, you should comply with the standards of that club.

Edited by thecoffeecake