Jagr wearing the A

thecoffeecake

The Stevens situation does not affect my point at all. Just because Stevens was a great captain doesn't mean whatever star waltzes onto the ice with a new jersey deserves a letter. It belongs to hard working franchise guys who lead on and off the ice. Just, because Scott Stevens got it after a year doesn't mean the C should be thrown around to whatever big name decides too sign a contact. I also have a problem with Jagr wearing 68. I dont care who it is, if youre going to play anywhere, you should comply with the standards of that club.

I like the strict number policy, with exceptions for future Hall of Famers. Gilmour was allowed, Mogilny was allowed, and no one is going to tell Jagr not to wear #68. If the Devils had ever gotten Mario Lemieux or Gretzky, they would have been wearing #66 and #99. The rule is there so only the legends can wear the numbers, in rare cases, but Joe Rookie is not allowed to wear, say, #77.

Edited by Christmas Tree

It belongs to hard working franchise guys who lead on and off the ice. 

What Devil, who fits that description, was deprived of a letter by it going to Jagr, who is one of the hardest workers in the league, a respected leader for multiple franchises, and the Devils best player for the first month of the season? The only issue anyone can have with Jagr is he hasn't been here long. IMO that doesn't matter, and Stevens is just one of many players who have quickly been rewarded for having a positive impact on their respective franchises. In that locker room, Jagr is a leader, and based on what we, as fans, are able to see, we should be glad of that.

I also have a problem with Jagr wearing 68. I dont care who it is, if youre going to play anywhere, you should comply with the standards of that club.

Also, he wears the number 68 in honor of his grandfather, who died in 1968 as a political prisoner. Some things are bigger than hockey.

Like I said, I understand Im in the minority here. And sure, the number thing isn't a huge deal, and I'm fully aware other big names have received the same exemptions. but, I still don't think it's right to give anyone that treatment as if they are better than keeping to club standards.

Just though it was interesting with zajac back tonight deboer decided to keep the a on jagr and not zubrus.

Obviously when patty is back it's his but I wonder what if any reasoning went into jagr keeping it and not zubie.

well not only is he 3 times the player zubrus is but im sure he probably has better leadership qualities.. obviously only guessing at that but i feel like you can just kind of tell that the guy is one of the leaders on the team.

Just though it was interesting with zajac back tonight deboer decided to keep the a on jagr and not zubrus.

Obviously when patty is back it's his but I wonder what if any reasoning went into jagr keeping it and not zubie.

I like Zubie and I'm not bashing him here...but he's been MIA for most of this season