You can't shoot without the puck

point

The last two games the Devil's faceoff % is 34% (39/115). While they've been (only!?!) outshot 41-33 over those games, that's a lot of time the opposition has held onto the puck. Which coach is responsible for teaching these guys faceoffs?

Notice that the team's best faceoff man has not been in the lineup in those two games, although he's not that spectacular to begin with. 

The Devils have been one of the better puck possession teams so far. Big problem the last 2 games is they were missing their 2 best 5v5 possession players in Elias and Zajac. The Devils don't average a lot of shot attempts per 60 minutes (46.6) but also hold opposition to a league low (40.2) shot attempts per 60 minutes which I suppose inflates their percentages. Unfortunately, out of their roughly 46 shot attempts per 60 minutes, they only get about roughly 24 on goal and are shooting 5.8%.

Zajac being out really hurt them in faceoffs too. Timmins is off to a strong start in Albany, I wonder if he's any good at faceoffs?

Notice that the team's best faceoff man has not been in the lineup in those two games, although he's not that spectacular to begin with.

I don't have the numbers but I believe zajac throughout his career has been one of the top ~30 faceoff men in the league (maybe even higher idk). I think someone posted the numbers in another thread recently.

So, Zajac is the only reliable faceoff guy on the team? That is poor management by PDB, IMO. For most of these two games the Devils just couldn't get anything started. 14 SOG against the Flyers? That was pitiful. I understand that this probably is not an SCF competitor, but, these guys have to start someplace.

The last two games the Devil's faceoff % is 34% (39/115). While they've been (only!?!) outshot 41-33 over those games, that's a lot of time the opposition has held onto the puck. Which coach is responsible for teaching these guys faceoffs?

It's not an easy skill to learn.  Although your premise is correct.  FO% is a very underrated stat that has an effect on the game (especially when on the PP and PK). 

So, Zajac is the only reliable faceoff guy on the team? That is poor management by PDB, IMO. For most of these two games the Devils just couldn't get anything started. 14 SOG against the Flyers? That was pitiful. I understand that this probably is not an SCF competitor, but, these guys have to start someplace.

not sure I read your post right but how is zajac being the best faceoff guy mismanagement by deboer?

Also, the past 2 games the shot total has been terrible, but before that it was pretty good. I'm not sure what changed... Oh wait, what a coincidence, two of our top players have been out the past 2 games... Huh.

FO% is probably the most overrated stat going.  It is only valued becuase it is easily countable.

I don't think losing 75% of your faceoffs is generally a good thing.   Yeah, 47%-53% who cares.   Unless you're losing every single defensive zone one or something.   But the manner in which they're losing these isn't gonna help you win.

as far as i could tell, we would win friday if zajac won the faceoffs and pulled the puck back for one timers, that was the difference in the cannon shots of gelinas and zid.

if we had both trav and patty i think we definently wouldve won friday.. i still think we wouldve lost last night that team is just too far ahead of us on the talent ladder but i mean it wouldve been much closer i think

as far as i could tell, we would win friday if zajac won the faceoffs and pulled the puck back for one timers, that was the difference in the cannon shots of gelinas and zid.

Considering how few goals are scored on shots from the blueline, that's a stretch to say the least.