Florida Panthers Dismiss Senior Coaching Staff

Chimaira_Devil_#9

SUNRISE, Fla. – Florida Panthers Executive Vice President & General Manager Dale Tallon announced today that head coach Kevin Dineen, assistant coach Gord Murphy and assistant coach Craig Ramsay have been relieved of their coaching duties. Goalie coach Robb Tallas, video coach Jason Cipolla and strength and conditioning coach Craig Slaunwhite will remain on the staff.

“After 16 games it was clear that our team needed a change in philosophy and direction,” said Tallon. “We have not met the expectations that we set forth at training camp and it is my responsibility to make the necessary changes to ensure that our club performs at its maximum potential. We thank Kevin, Gord and Craig for their hard work and dedication to our organization and the professionalism that they displayed throughout their tenure.”

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=690508&navid=DL|FLA|home

All the journalists on Twitter saying Florida's looking for a deal for some defensemen - I know the Devils can't make a deal now, but they could in 2 weeks conceivably, I'd be interested to see what can be taken from Florida.  If Tallon's willing to eat some salary, there are some players who'd interest me.

All the journalists on Twitter saying Florida's looking for a deal for some defensemen - I know the Devils can't make a deal now, but they could in 2 weeks conceivably, I'd be interested to see what can be taken from Florida.  If Tallon's willing to eat some salary, there are some players who'd interest me.

Fayne (with pre-arranged extension) and Josefson for Bjustad, or is this too pie in the sky?

No, that's ridiculous. I was thinking more along the lines of Brunner (retained salary) and Fayne for Versteeg (retained salary).

that'd be a nice move for us but I think Florida will be looking for young players who aren't ufa's at years end.

They probably will be able to get a better offer (solid prospect or a first) for a salary retained versteeg if they wait.

Well it would be money in the bank. 

But for a player without NTC, saying no to something like that is their only form of NTC.     It would be different if he went there without a contract and got to use them to advertise himself to scouts.

Edited by maxpower

that'd be a nice move for us but I think Florida will be looking for young players who aren't ufa's at years end.

They probably will be able to get a better offer (solid prospect or a first) for a salary retained versteeg if they wait.

Versteeg's been pretty bad and he's signed for 2 years after this one.  The Panthers have plenty of young players - too many, if such a thing can be believed - they need guys who can play right now around guys like Barkov and Huberdeau.

Versteeg's been pretty bad and he's signed for 2 years after this one. The Panthers have plenty of young players - too many, if such a thing can be believed - they need guys who can play right now around guys like Barkov and Huberdeau.

oh I agree and if I'm a panthers fan I want to see some solid veterans brought in, but the fact that both Brunner and fayne are ufa this year makes that deal not so enticing.

Versteeg's been pretty bad and he's signed for 2 years after this one. The Panthers have plenty of young players - too many, if such a thing can be believed - they need guys who can play right now around guys like Barkov and Huberdeau.

Lol. So why do you want to trade for him?

Because I think he's pretty good and he'd fit very well in DeBoer's system.

The Panthers aren't trading away big salary guys without retaining salary, there's just too many teams with no cap room.

He has had two significant injuries though now the last year and a half and lost some of his speed and he isn't cheap. I don't see much trade off from Brunner to him to be honest. Versteeg is a shooter however and in Deboers system that would work but he would need guys to feed him. I could see him succeeding on a line with a Zubrus and Zajac but I don't want us adding more cap dollars unless it's for a significant upgrade which Versteeg is not.

No, that's ridiculous.  I was thinking more along the lines of Brunner (retained salary) and Fayne for Versteeg (retained salary).

This is a horrible proposal. Brunner is better than the often-injured Versteeg. And then throwing in Fayne makes this proposal laughable.

This is a horrible proposal. Brunner is better than the often-injured Versteeg. And then throwing in Fayne makes this proposal laughable.

Versteeg is a 50 point player. You really think Brunner is better than him? I mean, I don't know if I'd trade Fayne+Brunner for Versteeg, but I really like Fayne and would much rather keep him than gain Versteeg. Brunner for Versteeg straight up and it's an easy decision.

Versteeg is a 50 point player. You really think Brunner is better than him? I mean, I don't know if I'd trade Fayne+Brunner for Versteeg, but I really like Fayne and would much rather keep him than gain Versteeg. Brunner for Versteeg straight up and it's an easy decision.

Versteeg used to be a 50 point player. Brunner can certainly be one himself. Giving away a quality defenseman like Fayne is silly.

Versteeg used to be a 50 point player. Brunner can certainly be one himself. Giving away a quality defenseman like Fayne is silly.

He misses most of last year and now he's done? Yet Brunner can be a 50 point player. Brunner has barely looked like he belongs in the NHL, much less a 50 point player. Without his shot, no way he'd still be in the line-up.

Edited by ATLL765