GDT: Predators @ Devils 7pm

Scottie2Hottie

It honestly seemed like there were more than that tonight.

225 and 226 looked empty.  And the uppers were like 40% full by the looks of it.

The Flyers game was only 13,500.  And it looked like a lot more than that.  Something is weird with our attendance figures this year.  TG said he was gonna follow up on what's going on after the Rags game.  Every single Rags game since the Rock opened was 17,625.  Well the Rags game this year was only 16,592.  They called it a sellout.  And the home opener vs the Isles was 16,624 and not a sellout.

Attendance is always bad during football season.  The Jets are 5-4 and the Giants are on a winning streak.  

I don't think people realize this ,but the Devils play like this pretty damn often. The only difference is that they were playing a terrible goalie and got some bounces. The team plays well more often than not

Attendance is always bad during football season.  The Jets are 5-4 and the Giants are on a winning streak.  

I don't think people realize this ,but the Devils play like this pretty damn often. The only difference is that they were playing a terrible goalie and got some bounces. The team plays well more often than not

Yea that's what I've been saying.  It's extremely rare for a DeBoer coached team to play a game like they did against the Flyers.

Impressive job by the Devils tonight. Held the Predators to 15 shots, 22 shot attempts. Devils PK a perfect 6/6, only allowed 5 shots, 8 shot attempts. Heavy lifters for the Devils PK (12:00): Volchenkov 8:55, Greene 8:23, Zubrus 6:17, Zajac 4:31, Josefson 4:24, Henrique 4:04

15 shots, 22 attempts. Seriously, that's amazing

not to dampen the excitement here but Nashville was terrible, Marty was very good and taking penalties winning 3-0 in the third is unacceptable

I am a big Carter fan but he took 2 dumb ones including an inexcusable one on the offensive zone

Ryder and Brunner did not look good either.

Or defenders were spectacular foe 2 games now..not usre why Zidlicy would take a one year contract

Nashville was awful tonight, but the Devils were very good, and 2 points is 2 points.  This is a team a week removed from getting 14 shots against the goddamn Flyers, so let's not pretend like beating a bad Nashville team is a foregone conclusion.  Too many penalties, but frankly I've been surprised with the discipline so far into the season - people like Zidlicky and Jagr take a fair number of penalties, so it couldn't continue forever.  NJ's PK was very strong.  Brodeur played well, and I'm impressed that he isn't yet through, but you can tell from these goalmouth scrambles that he gets out of position pretty easily.  When the defense plays this strong of a game (how many scoring chances did Nashville get on net?  3?), it's not all that important.

I didn't like the line changes before the game but they worked out quite well.

15 shots, 22 attempts. Seriously, that's amazing

The Devils have been excellent in shot prevention this year. They are holding the opposition to 41 attempts per 60 minutes, which is best in the league. Next best team is the Kings with a 46.7 rate. Out of those attempts, only 23.7 per 60 minutes are actually getting on goal, which is 0.1 behind the Wild for the league lead. When it comes to the PK this trend continues, the Devils are one of the best in shot prevention.

I feel like Volchenkov deserves some recognition for the Devils strong PK since his contract does earn him some grief around here. He's on for 69% of the Devils SH time, which is tops in the league for NHL D w/ 15+ GP. He averages 3:59 SH TOI/GP which is 4th in the league for D w/ 15+ GP. Of course there are other players that deserve credit with him, but since I've been guilty of bashing on Volchenkov, I wanted to give him some props.

Their shot totals were just as good last year when they were tops by more than one shot per game in fewest shots against.  Difference is Marty wasn't playing as well and Hedberg was a dumpster fire.  Now that you have a Marty that's turned back the clock to 2012 if not 2003 and Cory playing better (though lack of support's condemned him to just one win) the D's pretty formidable as a whole, despite all our bit**ing about Harrold/Volch/Fayne/Sal.

I do wonder what they do when Sal gets back.  Gelinas has to be here, his offense and power shot gives them a dimension they need and only get from Zidlicky.

The Devils have been excellent in shot prevention this year. They are holding the opposition to 41 attempts per 60 minutes, which is best in the league. Next best team is the Kings with a 46.7 rate. Out of those attempts, only 23.7 per 60 minutes are actually getting on goal, which is 0.1 behind the Wild for the league lead. When it comes to the PK this trend continues, the Devils are one of the best in shot prevention.

I feel like Volchenkov deserves some recognition for the Devils strong PK since his contract does earn him some grief around here. He's on for 69% of the Devils SH time, which is tops in the league for NHL D w/ 15+ GP. He averages 3:59 SH TOI/GP which is 4th in the league for D w/ 15+ GP. Of course there are other players that deserve credit with him, but since I've been guilty of bashing on Volchenkov, I wanted to give him some props.

Volch has played better this year in general.  Maybe it's actually possible he WAS hurt in the '12 playoffs, and the lockout screwed him up last year.  The '12 playoffs is really when he went from serviceable to hideous and that continued through last year but this year he's been a bit better.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The Rags have won 6 of 7, so Tuesday will be no cakewalk.  It never is with the Rags anyways.  They didn't have Callahan or Hagelin the last time we played them. Granted we didn't have Elias and Brunner.  And Gelinas wasn't up yet either.  Hopefully Elias is back very soon because a very tough part of the schedule is coming.

I'd be ecstatic if we ended up with 6 points in these next 6 games.  The final week in November is a fairly "easy" week with Winnipeg, Carolina twice, and then Buffalo.

Marty is now 5th in the NHL in GAA at 2.09...Schneider is 6th, also at 2.09.  Schneider is 17th in save% at .915, and Marty is 31st, at .908.  Pretty much tells you all you need to know...especially when you look at the save%s of the other goalies in the top 10 in GAA.  Marty has gotten hot (and has been helped by some good team play for sure...he's only faced 75 shots in his last four games), but it will be interesting to see what could happen if Schneider can get on a real roll...and if the team can start scoring when he's in net. 

re:  Marty...sure, the team has made his job relatively easy as of late, but so what.  I couldn't be more happy for him.  Just going to enjoy every last win as they come.

Devils have gone a respectable 5-3-2 in their last 10.  Unfortunately, when you start the season 0-4-3, and can't win shootouts, it takes that much longer to get out of a hole.  The schedule's been tough too, but even with some fugly hockey, this team is only 7 points out of first, and hasn't been left in the dust. 

The good news is this "schedule from hell" is almost over...6 games left in the 15 away, 8 home game nightmare to start the season.  If the Devils go 3-3 or find some other way to come out of it with 6 points, they'll be 8-10-5 or something like that.  Far from great, but about what I expected, with all of the new faces and the lack of home games, and they've had to contend with Elias being hurt as well.  I don't know what this team's ultimate upside is yet, but at least they look like they should be pretty good, if they keep getting goaltending.           

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Marty is now 5th in the NHL in GAA at 2.09...Schneider is 6th, also at 2.09.  Schneider is 17th in save% at .915, and Marty is 31st, at .908.  Pretty much tells you all you need to know...especially when you look at the save%s of the other goalies in the top 10 in GAA.  Marty has gotten hot (and has been helped by some good team play for sure...he's only faced 75 shots in his last four games), but it will be interesting to see what could happen if Schneider can get on a real roll...and if the team can start scoring when he's in net. 

re:  Marty...sure, the team has made his job relatively easy as of late, but so what.  I couldn't be more happy for him.  Just going to enjoy every last win as they come.       

I agree its great ot see Marty get the wins and the shutouts.

Considering how competative Marty is by nature, i think having Jagr on the team and seeing him put in the performances he has been and with him leading the team in points at his age might have spurred Marty on. Some of the " well if he can still do it, i can still do it" mindset.

I agree its great ot see Marty get the wins and the shutouts.

Considering how competative Marty is by nature, i think having Jagr on the team and seeing him put in the performances he has been and with him leading the team in points at his age might have spurred Marty on. Some of the " well if he can still do it, i can still do it" mindset.

Jagr's been great for that lockerroom, no question...I remember him having a rep as being moody back in the day, but he really to seems to love what he's doing...just seems so happy to be playing in the NHL at 41.  I like that he appears to be genuinely vested in the Devils turning this around...there's guys that definitely would've gone into "Let me bide my time here until I get moved to a contender" mode, and become aloof and disinteresed (a guy like Jagr knows he's going to get to play for a good team, as long as he's merely decent if he's stuck on a bad team).  But Jagr clearly gives it everything he's got.  If only he was a few years younger...I like what he brings to the Devils in all aspects. 

I don't think Marty ever needed much outside motivation, but I think Jagr's been good for just about everyone on the Devils.  Yeah, Marty and Jagr are probably good for each other. 

lol Janssen is never coming out of the lineup.

It looks like the new players are finally starting to buy into the system. Ryder playing a lot better. No clowe is a plus. Expect better from Brunner, I hope he plays with Elias when he gets back even though he'll be back with Jagr.

Met 2 guys from the Czech republic. They said they were there for our Czechs. Then the 2 playing scored and I told them they have to come to every game.

The first time hearing the goal song I liked it. But after last night it doesn't cross over well. It's a techno version of the song where the "lets go devils" sounds more like an snes soundboard. The crowd is still throwing YOU SUCK into it. Just doesn't have the right feel to it.

Edited by Vic Rattlehead18

not to dampen the excitement here but Nashville was terrible, Marty was very good and taking penalties winning 3-0 in the third is unacceptable

I am a big Carter fan but he took 2 dumb ones including an inexcusable one on the offensive zone

Ryder and Brunner did not look good either.

Or defenders were spectacular foe 2 games now..not usre why Zidlicy would take a one year contract

I never buy into "we'll the other team is terrible" reasoning... if we consider ourselves a playoff contender we SHOULD be beating Nashville 5-0. Because that's exactly what we did, you can't take away from it.

And Carters hooking penalty or whatever it was was extremely questionable. Refs are always trying to give the losing team every opportunity to get on the pp and make the game interesting.

I was actually pleased the way we played in the 3rd... It was totally different from past games where we just ended terribly and couldn't close any game out.

No clowe is a plus.

He's on a 5-year deal...whenever he's healthy enough to return to the lineup, he's going to get a lot of chances.  But I hope those chances don't start to come until he's absolutely 100% healthy and ready to go. 

Volch has played better this year in general.  Maybe it's actually possible he WAS hurt in the '12 playoffs, and the lockout screwed him up last year.  The '12 playoffs is really when he went from serviceable to hideous and that continued through last year but this year he's been a bit better.

he was hurt during those playoffs. he got hurt in russia. then he got hurt last year that you knew about when he was out of the lineup. then he was hurt again when he was back in that you didn't know about.

Edited by sundstrom