GDT: Devils @ Blueskirts 7pm

Scottie2Hottie

Brodeur was real good tonight.  Real good.  Made some strong saves, the Devils got some bounces and won a game they probably shouldn't have.  But that's how it's supposed to go - sometimes you win games you shouldn't.

One point away from .500.

6-3-2 in their last 11 GP now.  If someone had told us the Devils, after 18 GP, would be one game under NHL .500 after going 0-4-3 to start the season, and wouldn't have Elias for a chunk of those games, I think we'd all have happily signed up for that.

Yeah, can't say the Devils necessarily deserved that one, but the Devils have had their share of games where the bounces didn't go their way.  There were some "two steps slower" moments for sure, and if I'm the Rangers, I come away thinking we probably could or should have won that game. 

Brodeur now has a 2.08 GAA and .913 save%.  That didn't seem possible a few weeks ago.  Who knows how long it will last, but it's great to see a legend still able to have games where he's playing like one. 

And of course, always a bonus to see the ledge-straddlers and instant grat crowd quiet down for a while.  Five games until the Sched from Hell is over.   

I will be fair.  The Rags imo got screwed when Gelinas got the puck shot in his ear.  That should have been a breakaway for whoever that Ranger player was.  But they blew the whistle, and I know we'd all be pissed if that happened to us.

All the rags fans are talking about that, no fvck that, if that is the case, next time I am on a 1v1 with a defense, ima just shoot it at his face, then collect it and score.

All the rags fans are talking about that, no fvck that, if that is the case, next time I am on a 1v1 with a defense, ima just shoot it at his face, then collect it and score.

maybe next time whoever went to dump that puck should aim it a little better. ...like gelinas wanted to get hit in the side of the head..he intentionally stopped that dump with his head..lol they'll use anything as an excuse over there instead of just chalking one up as a loss... or in this case chalking ANOTHER one up as a loss to us! hahaa

My thoughts...it's a nice upgrade but obviously overstated by the MSG hype machine. The main entrance is ok, clean, but not overly beautiful. People start herding there before they let the doors open at 6:05 and it gets a bit over crowded. I passed through some corridors that didn't appear to be touched by the renovation at all. The main concourses were maybe a tad larger, but still got crowded as more of the crowd filed in. Much wider and much better at the Prudential center. MSG has low ceilings in their concourses as well which obviously will make it seem less open. Unspectacular food options, same with drinks. Basically anything you find at MSG you can find at Pru.

Bathrooms are new, but the lines spilled out the door and they were a urine soaked mess by 1st intermission with lines that go out the door.

Prices are obscene. Are beers $10.50 at the rock? Because that's how much they were last night at MSG.

Seats are more comfortable, but seats where you'd expect cup holders to exist don't. I wasn't sitting in the nosebleeds yesterday...surprised there was no cup holder.

My thoughts...it's a nice upgrade but obviously overstated by the MSG hype machine. The main entrance is ok, clean, but not overly beautiful. People start herding there before they let the doors open at 6:05 and it gets a bit over crowded. I passed through some corridors that didn't appear to be touched by the renovation at all. The main concourses were maybe a tad larger, but still got crowded as more of the crowd filed in. Much wider and much better at the Prudential center. MSG has low ceilings in their concourses as well which obviously will make it seem less open. Unspectacular food options, same with drinks. Basically anything you find at MSG you can find at Pru.

Bathrooms are new, but the lines spilled out the door and they were a urine soaked mess by 1st intermission with lines that go out the door.

Prices are obscene. Are beers $10.50 at the rock? Because that's how much they were last night at MSG.

Seats are more comfortable, but seats where you'd expect cup holders to exist don't. I wasn't sitting in the nosebleeds yesterday...surprised there was no cup holder.

Beers are 8-9 at the Rock, iirc

Edited by Aznjsn

I usually like Boomer Esiason on the WFAN (can't stand Carton), but if he's going to try to talk hockey (he's a Ranger fan), he should at least pay attention to what's going on.

He basically said the Rangers shouldn't be losing to a team like the Devils, who he called "one of the worst teams in the league".  Seems like he thinks the season is still seven games old or so.

Here's how the two teams stand:

Rangers:  18 GP, 9-9-0, 41 GF, 49 GA  (-8)

Devils:  18 GP, 6-7-5, 38 GF, 46 GA (-8)...but as four of those GA are phantom goals for losing shootouts, the Devils are really -4 in goal differential. 

Both teams are playing better lately...Devils are 6-3-2 in their last 11 GP and the Rags had won 6 of 7 coming in.  Overall it's not hard to see why they're within a point of one another...they've both had some good games, some bad ones, and some issues overall...that's how you get to be about .500.  They both had rough schedules to start their seasons as well (lots of road games for both teams). 

But to make it sound like the Rangers should be beating the Devils like they're some bottom-feeder is pretty dumb.  Not sure why being a Ranger fan, no matter what your background, requires checking your brain at the door.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Beers are 8-9 at the Rock, iirc

I think it's anywhere from $8-10 depending on what you get. Miller/Bud is $8-$8.50, but you want a stella or another import it's $9.75.

Anybody hear anything about Merril? They say it's just lacerations, so does he get the call to fill in for Volch? Or does Fayne come in?

And good on the Devils fans at MSG last night, could hear them pretty well. Made it hard to tell who scored on the radio, lol.

Speaking of the radio....anyone hear Matt and Sherry talking about how the embarrassment to the NHL that was the Philly v Caps 7-0 game was quite entertaining? Ughhhhh. No it wasn't entertaining, it was disgusting.

Meh 76, Rangers fan is going to Rangers fan.  Of course NJ is also -3 in ENG differential, so in reality they are -1 in goal differential with the nets full.  Brodeur and Schneider's save percentages aren't even that great and the team is still giving up just over 2 goals a game.   If they can get Elias back, the offense can kick in... who knows.

Edited by Triumph

I usually like Boomer Esiason on the WFAN (can't stand Carton), but if he's going to try to talk hockey (he's a Ranger fan), he should at least pay attention to what's going on.

He basically said the Rangers shouldn't be losing to a team like the Devils, who he called "one of the worst teams in the league". Seems like he thinks the season is still seven games old or so.

Rangers: 18 GP, 9-9-0, 41 GF, 49 GA (-8)

Devils: 18 GP, 6-7-5, 38 GF, 46 GA (-8)...but as four of those GA are phantom goals for losing shootouts, the Devils are really -4 in goal differential.

Both teams are playing better lately...Devils are 6-3-2 in their last 11 GP and the Rags had won 6 of 7 coming in. Overall it's not hard to see why they're within a point of one another...they've both had some good games, some bad ones, and some issues overall...that's how you get to be about .500. They both had rough schedules to start their seasons as well (lots of road games for both teams).

But to make it sound like the Rangers should be beating the Devils like they're some bottom-feeder is pretty dumb. Not sure why being a Ranger fan, no matter what your background, requires checking your brain at the door.

And Jerry Recco, a Devils fan, sits there and says nothing. Although Jerry made sure to rub salt in Boomer's wound later during one of the updates when he played the MSG call of the Zubrus goal as Boomer grumbled audibly. But still, no one bothers to ask Boomer 'hey if the Devils are sooooo horrible, why are they only one point behind the Rangers with the same amount of games played?' C'mon man. Plus we beat your ass twice. Boomer needs to STFU.

Meh 76, Rangers fan is going to Rangers fan.  Of course NJ is also -3 in ENG differential, so in reality they are -1 in goal differential with the nets full.  Brodeur and Schneider's save percentages aren't even that great and the team is still giving up just over 2 goals a game.   If they can get Elias back, the offense can kick in... who knows.

Schneider in his last 5 GP:  .920

Brodeur in his last 5 GP:  .964

Overall they're middle of the pack (Schneider is at .915 (20th) and Brodeur is at .913 (22nd)), but both guys are stopping pucks right now.  Only two games where either goalie gave up more than two goals (Schneider both times).

Schneider in his last 5 GP:  .920

Brodeur in his last 5 GP:  .964

Overall they're middle of the pack (Schneider is at .915 (20th) and Brodeur is at .913 (22nd)), but both guys are stopping pucks right now.  Only two games where either goalie gave up more than two goals (Schneider both times).

I had almost forgotten what it was like, having two confident, capable goalies at the same time.

I had almost forgotten what it was like, having two confident, capable goalies at the same time.

I think the only back up to Marty that I felt comfortable with til now was Clemmensen. He did a great job filling for Marty while he was out for the majority of the season.

I think the only back up to Marty that I felt comfortable with til now was Clemmensen. He did a great job filling for Marty while he was out for the majority of the season.

Hedberg did a nice job until last season. 

Even when Clemmer was doing a terrific job in 2008-09, some were still clamoring for Weekes to get more starts (the Devils went a terrific 32-17-1 while Marty was out...and that was after going 1-5-0 to start that stretch).  Sutter really handled that situation well, while Marty was hurt...basically put Weekes in against the bottom-feeders after the 1-5-0 Brodeurless start, and Clemmer in against everyone else.  Sutter basically managed to get both goalies to approximate what the Devils would've gotten from Marty, in terms of puck-stopping at least.  And credit has to go to both Clemmer AND Weekes for doing what was asked of them in Marty's absence. 

gotta love Ryan Carter, here's what he told TG about one of his shots on the queen last night:

“I think that’s as hard as I’m going to shoot the puck, no question,” Carter said. “It was a one-timer, stepping in and skating up ice. It laid out there for me flat. That’s a dream opportunity right there and he made a good save. I’m glad it stung him, but he made a good save.” 

He basically said the Rangers shouldn't be losing to a team like the Devils, who he called "one of the worst teams in the league".  Seems like he thinks the season is still seven games old or so.

Rangers:  18 GP, 9-9-0, 41 GF, 49 GA  (-8)

Devils:  18 GP, 6-7-5, 38 GF, 46 GA (-8)...but as four of those GA are phantom goals for losing shootouts, the Devils are really -4 in goal differential. 

Both teams are playing better lately...Devils are 6-3-2 in their last 11 GP and the Rags had won 6 of 7 coming in.  Overall it's not hard to see why they're within a point of one another...they've both had some good games, some bad ones, and some issues overall...that's how you get to be about .500.  They both had rough schedules to start their seasons as well (lots of road games for both teams). 

But to make it sound like the Rangers should be beating the Devils like they're some bottom-feeder is pretty dumb.  Not sure why being a Ranger fan, no matter what your background, requires checking your brain at the door.

I heard that too this morning.  He's such a typical Rags fan, its not even funny.  I could only laugh when the Devils fan from LI called in and basically shut him up when he pointed out the "terrible" Devils are only 1 point behind the Rags and beat them twice already this year. 

Also, can someone please teach that fool how to use the cough button.  If I hear him clear his throat 1 more time on the air, I might reach through the radio and pull out his vocal cords.

I have yet to meet a more delusional fanbase than Rags fans.  Seriously they act as if they have the right to be douches like Yankees and Giants fans just because they're the "main" hockey team in this area.  Yankees fans are douches for sure (I am one btw).  But at least they have a reason to be.  Giants fans are the same way.  Rags fans feel as if they have the same right as the two aforementioned teams.

I heard that too this morning.  He's such a typical Rags fan, its not even funny.  I could only laugh when the Devils fan from LI called in and basically shut him up when he pointed out the "terrible" Devils are only 1 point behind the Rags and beat them twice already this year. 

Also, can someone please teach that fool how to use the cough button.  If I hear him clear his throat 1 more time on the air, I might reach through the radio and pull out his vocal cords.

I don't think Boomer keeps track of the NHL as closely as he'd lead one to believe...I think he's a casual Ranger fan who probably watches a fair amount of Ranger games, but not much else re: the NHL, including the locals.  I'm guessing he probably thought the Devils had 3 or 4 wins, max...he was probably genuinely surprised that the Devils were 6-7-5 after beating the Rangers.

But it's like I said, if you're going to do a monologue about the Devil-Ranger game on a sports station that has its share of Devil fans, better know what the hell you're talking about.  Boomer sounded like an amateur idiot...a true Ranger fan wouldn't have to be told that the Devils are only one point behind his team with the same number of games played.

I don't think Boomer keeps track of the NHL as closely as he'd lead one to believe...I think he's a casual Ranger fan who probably watches a fair amount of Ranger games, but not much else re: the NHL, including the locals. I'm guessing he probably thought the Devils had 3 or 4 wins, max...he was probably genuinely surprised that the Devils were 6-7-5 after beating the Rangers.

But it's like I said, if you're going to do a monologue about the Devil-Ranger game on a sports station that has its share of Devil fans, better know what the hell you're talking about. Boomer sounded like an amateur idiot...a true Ranger fan wouldn't have to be told that the Devils are only one point behind his team with the same number of games played.

Boomer's a legit Rangers fan in terms of his interest in the team, I know he has season tickets and goes to a lot of games and he always talks about how he slingboxes the Rags games when he's on the road calling Monday Night Football. But I think you're right about him not following the rest of the league as closely. He's a classic case of a fan who follows his own team but doesn't really know much about the 29 others.