Would you take a shot at Yakupov?

caron14

kovy was good in the pk because other teams had to respect his ability on the breakaway. Over a longer period than 1 season I'm not confident that the results would be the same. And deboer knew this too, as he was used as the fifth forward on the pk behind parise Elias zubrus and henrique.

He was effective but he wasn't even used as a top 4 pker on his own team, so how can he be the "best pker in the league"?

It lasted for a season and a half.  

The Devils didn't want to overuse him on the PK but he was one of the most effective forwards in the league. The Devils got 20% of the total shots taken when he was on the ice, again, an incredibly high percentage.

It lasted for a season and a half.

The Devils didn't want to overuse him on the PK but he was one of the most effective forwards in the league. The Devils got 20% of the total shots taken when he was on the ice, again, an incredibly high percentage.

I understand he was effective and I respect the statistics, but for the purposes of the thread josh had used kovy as a bastion of defensive prowess, when in fact there were at times six forwards on the roster who were used in key defensive situations ahead if him.

I suppose maybe my argument comes down to semantics when I disagree that kovy who was effective in the pk was not the best pker in the league.

On topic, the fact that kovy was able to buy slightly into a more defensive minded system by no means should encourage us to go out and grab any high skill offensive players, especially at the cost if high end defensemen. For evidence just look at the Brunner thread.

Well can you agree that it's the last risk we should make based on recent history? "the russian factor" is something legit we've seen guys dropping in drafts because of that. And Yakupov has been rumoured to be in the KHL as soon as next season per some coach there. Could be nothing but i'd still not throw guys in a trade for him.

He's really good but seems really selfish, knock on him is that he's trying to do everything himself not trusting his teammates, not really a Devils kind of player

I didn't say anything about being for or against the Devils making a move for him.  I was referring to you making yet another comment about the Devils losing a player for nothing, because apparently that only happens to the Devils and Lou and no one else.  Or so you make it seem.

re:  Yapukov, I think the Devils should just sit tight for the moment.  Keep playing Larsson, Gelinas...hopefully Merrill will be back before too long.  I pointed this out in the Nashville GDT, but the Devils are 5-3-2 in their last 10.  Yeah, they've got issues, but the Schedule from Hell part of their season is almost over, and they could escape with a .500ish record by the time it's over, after having gone 0-4-3 to start the season.  I want to see what the current group can do with some home cookin'.

I didn't say anything about being for or against the Devils making a move for him.  I was referring to you making yet another comment about the Devils losing a player for nothing, because apparently that only happens to the Devils and Lou and no one else.  Or so you make it seem.

re:  Yapukov, I think the Devils should just sit tight for the moment.  Keep playing Larsson, Gelinas...hopefully Merrill will be back before too long.  I pointed this out in the Nashville GDT, but the Devils are 5-3-2 in their last 10.  Yeah, they've got issues, but the Schedule from Hell part of their season is almost over, and they could escape with a .500ish record by the time it's over, after having gone 0-4-3 to start the season.  I want to see what the current group can do with some home cookin'.

I didnt just throw it out there just to throw it out there, it's a main reason why i wouldnt want to risk more assets even for a high risk high reward. Losing $100 gambling is no big deal on its own, but if you already lost $5,000 in the last few weeks then its different. And you're exaggerating with that stuff about me, calm down. 

Edited by SterioDesign

Oh man, can you imagine if the Devils threw Larsson away for Yak only for him to flee to the NHL?

I'm cringing just imagining it :lol:

even if yakopov was guaranteed to stay I still wouldn't make the deal. Like I said a top pairing d is much harder to find than a winger, never mind a winger who obviously has some attitude issues and who is not a fit at all for our system and organization.

there's absolutely no way this could fetch Yakupov

The only reason I agree with this is because he's still so young. Other than that though, we have seen some crazy sh!t, recently even. Schneider for a 1st? When other teams offered more, maybe lou could work magic. TBH tho, I don't want this guy, he won't work on our team what so ever. I'm pretty sure he would be a healthy scratch every night for as long as deboer is our head coach as well.

As for trading larson or even gelinas, I mean your potentially looking at our top D-pairing in a few years. Why would you wanna break that up, we have the potential to have a very good core of defensemen (merril, larson, gelinas) and a top tier goalie. That is a recipe for wins in my opinion, I don't want to trade away any pieces of our future right now.

I didn't say anything about being for or against the Devils making a move for him. I was referring to you making yet another comment about the Devils losing a player for nothing, because apparently that only happens to the Devils and Lou and no one else. Or so you make it seem.

re: Yapukov, I think the Devils should just sit tight for the moment. Keep playing Larsson, Gelinas...hopefully Merrill will be back before too long. I pointed this out in the Nashville GDT, but the Devils are 5-3-2 in their last 10. Yeah, they've got issues, but the Schedule from Hell part of their season is almost over, and they could escape with a .500ish record by the time it's over, after having gone 0-4-3 to start the season. I want to see what the current group can do with some home cookin'.

i agree and thankfully lou seems to agree as well.

We all knew coming in the first month was going to be tough schedule wise with the road trip, add on the fact that we have a lot of new faces that need to gel and have had some injuries.

Over the next month we'll find out if this team can compete for the playoffs. Until then I don't want to make any knee jerk moves.

Kovalchuk then abadoned his contract.  DId having to play defense have something to do with it?  I'm not sure, and I don't think we'll ever know that. 

i've heard it anecdotally reported as well as through a pretty good source that style of play was a not-insignificant reason to go to the khl. the biggest allure was the $ (no escrow) and fame was #2. but he certainly likes that he can coast and skate.

Not even for Sidney Crosby?

That would never in a 1000 years happen. I meant more in the sense that it's highly unlikely that a deal would present itself where we get the better end if it involves trading Larsson. No one can ever really be untouchable if you want to be a smart GM, but some guys should not be moved unless you're really getting a deal and I think Larsson is that kind of player.

I was just about to mention this. 2-4 weeks ago, half the board was declaring Larsson a bust and now all of the sudden the thought of trading him for a #1 draft pick is unimaginable.

I've only been a poster here for about a month after lurking a while and one if the reasons I started to post was precisely because I thought many here were down on Larsson too much.

I think most logical fans still realize we were very fortunate to nab him in that draft after winning the lotto in the only year we were eligible for it in 15 years.

Love how everyone is on the NEVER TRADE LARSSON boat now. Just the way it should have always been.

I wouldn't say that, I just wouldn't trade him for Yakupov, in that the latter is flashing plenty of warning signs himself.

To put it in perspective, I would trade Larsson for Galchenyuk in a second, but would probably be laughed at by the Canadians.

Nice to see that the anti-Russia bias is alive and well.. You guys would turn down Ovechkin and Datsyuk because of "KHL flight risk" I'm sure..

I've been reading your rants on the forums and the chat room for two years now about how we're stacked on defensive prospects and how Larsson has been underperforming. Our team has been, and still is, offensively neutered since we lost Zach (and even more so when Kovy was out). Yet you're telling be you wouldn't give up one of those defensive prospects for Yakupov?? A runaway 1st overall pick with obvious elite offensive talents, which clearly is *exactly* what this team needs? 

Someone already said it; defense can be taught. Offense, at this level, is more about natural ability and talent.

I wouldn't worry though, there's no way the Oilers deal Yak for Larsson.

Nice to see that the anti-Russia bias is alive and well.. You guys would turn down Ovechkin and Datsyuk because of "KHL flight risk" I'm sure..

I've been reading your rants on the forums and the chat room for two years now about how we're stacked on defensive prospects and how Larsson has been underperforming. Our team has been, and still is, offensively neutered since we lost Zach (and even more so when Kovy was out). Yet you're telling be you wouldn't give up one of those defensive prospects for Yakupov?? A runaway 1st overall pick with obvious elite offensive talents, which clearly is *exactly* what this team needs?

Someone already said it; defense can be taught. Offense, at this level, is more about natural ability and talent.

I wouldn't worry though, there's no way the Oilers deal Yak for Larsson.

where in this thread was there an anti-Russian bias? Several posters expressed interest in yakopov but said they wouldn't trade Larsson for him.

It's irresponsible to generalize and say "you" or "the board" pumps up our defensive prospects and knock Larsson... In fact there may only be a few select posters who feel this way.

And Edmonton is a perfect example of why Larsson should be kept. For years they've been pumping in young offensive talent but cannot find a defensive stud. We have what looks to be one, so I'm glad to keep him and take my chances finding wingers through fa.

Edited by dmann422

Ovechkin has a long contract and Datsyuk just resigned here.  Meanwhile Yakupov has no reason to stay here - if he doesn't like where he's playing, at the end of his contract, he can just bounce.  If he thinks he's being mistreated or underpaid, nothing keeping him here besides the allure of playing in the NHL.

As for Yakupov's offensive talent, clearly he's got a tremendous shot, but his shot rate so far in the NHL is rather underwhelming.  I think he'll turn out to be quite a good player, but I'm not convinced at all that he will be a star.

I don't think Larsson will be a star either, but as I said upthread, when you look at Swedish contracts and Russian contracts, there is a stark difference in value, and I don't like the idea of critical players having other avenues they can seek out, especially not when Yakupov is a disaster in the defensive zone and would not fit at all into DeBoer's system.  So no, I wouldn't make that trade, even though I think Yakupov will most likely turn out better than Larsson.