Devils logo for Stadium Series - retro is now confirmed

JWomp

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I realize that but the trend of ugly has begun like those little plastic stars on the US jerseys.

Like it or not it's the future of jerseys in the NHL now too.  Not exactly thrilled either but it is what it is.  Soon all of the jerseys are going to have sublaminated numbers.  Hell Nashville has been using them too and apparently it saves money, lasts longer, and can enable more intricate designs without piling on layers and weight.  Con is that the lettering now looks like it was done by shop.nhl.com  Look at how Nashville's sleeve numbers are now:

http://www.meigray.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2381&siId=6367519&catLevel=1&scLevel=1&thisCatLevel=&oldParentID=4213&catParentID=4541&scId=4541

You can't have large chunks of plastic on uniforms. It's too firm and rigid. It doesn't move and the space itself covered by the plastic doesn't breathe

You obviously don't know what you're talking about with your "logic".  In all seriousness, I know that there are reasons not to use the plastic appliques but I just have a bad feeling.  It wouldn't be the first time that the NHL allowed Reebok free reign to implement a bad idea.

Like it or not it's the future of jerseys in the NHL now too.  Not exactly thrilled either but it is what it is.  Soon all of the jerseys are going to have sublaminated numbers.  Hell Nashville has been using them too and apparently it saves money, lasts longer, and can enable more intricate designs without piling on layers and weight.  Con is that the lettering now looks like it was done by shop.nhl.com  Look at how Nashville's sleeve numbers are now:

http://www.meigray.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2381&siId=6367519&catLevel=1&scLevel=1&thisCatLevel=&oldParentID=4213&catParentID=4541&scId=4541

I know but I am old

tumblr_m9mkvuOtEj1qi7ua6.jpg

Apparently, according to icethetics, the NHL and Reebok have pretty much full control over the look of the Stadium Series jerseys and not the teams.  This is different from the retro jerseys the Devils put out for the retro games as the Devils and Lou still have at least some say or the final say on them.

What I am getting at is that since these appear out of Lou's hands, I doubt they will only be used for just this game.  Reebok and the NHL would never allow a jersey to be developed only to be used and shown for just 1 game when $ is on the line.  Every time the Devils wear the new jersey is basically going to be a 2.5 hour long advertisement for them to sell those jerseys.  Look at how many times the Winter Classic jerseys have been worn by their respective teams after the Winter Classic game was finished.

The Rags, Flyers, Red Wings, Bruins, and Sabres have never worn their WC jerseys except for the WC.  Only the Flyers from their first WC (when they made their WC jersey their away), the Hawks, and Pens have ever worn their WC jerseys for more than the actual WC game.

I actually heard the NHL and Reebok took charge in designing the jerseys and teams were merely consulted rather than being directly involved. I heard we should expect a "futuristic look." Anyone remember those MLB Turn Ahead The Clock jerseys? I'm scared.

I'm so happy the Yankees never went with that idea.

The Rags, Flyers, Red Wings, Bruins, and Sabres have never worn their WC jerseys except for the WC. Only the Flyers from their first WC (when they made their WC jersey their away), the Hawks, and Pens have ever worn their WC jerseys for more than the actual WC game.

I'm so happy the Yankees never went with that idea.

I'm pretty sure the rags have worn their winter classic jersey at least once since the winter classic.

For the sabres they just made it one of their alternates with slightly different color hues.

the plastic appliques are only for patches as of now w/ the NFL and MLB jerseys, not full crests, just lil shoulder/chest patches-like the NFL logo on that Broncos jersey. Numbers/names are still like they always were 

Edited by DH26

better hope nike doesnt get the nhl contract for the jerseys after reebok is done.. we thought we saw a decline after reebok took over from ccm.. if nike came out with an nhl jersey that was anything like what theyre making for the nfl now... whoof the nike nfl jerseys are pure sh!t compared to the reebok ones.

Reebok was making the jerseys even before the RBK Edge came around.  Reebok actually owns CCM too.

i dont know how or why the quality of their shirts went down the drain so badly then.. even the reebok player tee's that they make now are like paper and are just made like trash.

You can't have large chunks of plastic on uniforms. It's too firm and rigid. It doesn't move and the space itself covered by the plastic doesn't breathe

They have been wearing logos that are firm, rigid, and non-breathable for like 20 years now.

Reebok was making the jerseys even before the RBK Edge came around.  Reebok actually owns CCM too.

Didn't they only make the jerseys for just two seasons before they came out with the Edge crap?  If I remember correctly, they slapped their logo on the CCM/Koho jerseys for 2005-06 and 2006-07, and then rolled out the Edge disasters.

Devilsfan26 is right, Reebok just slapped their names on old CCM 6100 jerseys as they were just bought out by Reebok in 2004 (and in turn Koho was bought by CCM in the late 90's/early 2000's)  Reebok was still developing the Edge jerseys during the 05-06 and 06-07 seasons so basically they are just CCM jerseys with Reebok label on them, not the other way around.

Reebok's first jersey they actually made were the Edge jerseys.

better hope nike doesnt get the nhl contract for the jerseys after reebok is done.. we thought we saw a decline after reebok took over from ccm.. if nike came out with an nhl jersey that was anything like what theyre making for the nfl now... whoof the nike nfl jerseys are pure sh!t compared to the reebok ones.

For hockey, Nike seems to split jersey people into 2 very divided camps.  Their swift jerseys have their supporters and detractors.  Nike actually made some of the team's NHL jerseys back in the 80's and 90's (teams I can remember using them off the top of my head was Edmonton, Detroit and San Jose) and are often very sought after by collectors.

The jerseys Nike made before they came out with the Swift garbage in 2006 were great.  The material had a nice feel to them and the teams were still able to design them, so they actually looked like hockey jerseys.  Now teams are losing control of their identities and we have a race between Reebok and Nike to see who can destroy hockey jerseys the most.  Some of the Edge jerseys that have come out in the past year or so are getting back to a normal hockey jersey appearance though, clean look with horizontal stripes, no vertical piping etc.

And there we have it:

@TGfireandice: For those who've beem asking, Lou Lamoriello said Devils will be wearing original red jerseys with green in outdoor game at Yankee Stadium.

@TGfireandice: Lamoriello said they will be same jerseys team wore previously around St. Patrick's Day.

Edited by Colin226

And there we have it: @TGfireandice: For those who've beem asking, Lou Lamoriello said Devils will be wearing original red jerseys with green in outdoor game at Yankee Stadium. @TGfireandice: Lamoriello said they will be same jerseys team wore previously around St. Patrick's Day.

sorry - this is terribly disappointing. i'm not saying that they had to go with day glow orange or something, but when you've got fans begging for a cool retro jersey and marketing $ to be made, why wouldn't you do it. even if it was just the whites, that would've been something. there have been plenty of cool mockups for alternates (there was a cool red and black one earlier in this thread).

"that's bush league" is more lou's mantra than any of his lombardi quotes.

sorry - this is terribly disappointing. i'm not saying that they had to go with day glow orange or something, but when you've got fans begging for a cool retro jersey and marketing $ to be made, why wouldn't you do it. even if it was just the whites, that would've been something. there have been plenty of cool mockups for alternates (there was a cool red and black one earlier in this thread).

"that's bush league" is more lou's mantra than any of his lombardi quotes

They can't wear white as they are the home team.

lou's answer also doesn't fall in line with features subtly hinted at by reebok. Whatever the case it looks like reebok failed to shove a new design down lou's throat.

Edited by TheRedStorm

As much as I dont really care what they're going to wear, I agree that it's a bit of a loss from a sales standpoint.  The white/black jerseys from earlier in this thread are pretty cool while being subdued enough for Lou to allow, and I'm sure fans would be likely to buy something different - especially around the holidays.

For the record, they could have gone to the white retros if they wanted (which I think would have been awesome); teams can agree to whatever colors they want. IIRC, the rangers wore whites at home against one of the canadian teams in the 24/7 series. I have no idea why I remember this, but I think there was a specific mention of it in the show.

They can't wear white as they are the home team.

i really don't think that's a big deal - the "home team" designation really only matters from a standpoint of which fanbase was getting 1/41 refunded to them.

White retros would have been neat, but I don't really care. Just glad we didn't get a whole new god awful design. The 3rd jersey policy is one of my favorite LL rules.

don't get me wrong, i don't want an alternate added to the rotation or a change to the current home/aways. i'm totally on board with that. but this is a special occasion where a jersey would be worn once. sorry - it's a mistake. there's no defense i can accept for why they wouldn't do a special jersey for this event.