Sabres GM and coach both fired

Namelesz

Why fire the gm now? They are rebuilding, and to be honest I feel like the most recent moves they've made have been steals. Vanek for moulson (1st basically) a 1st and a 2nd? Lou level trade right there. I mean ownership must have been aware of the GMs plans and the need to rebuild.  

Should've never fired Ruff

Why Lafontaine. So he was a great player. Great players normally don't make great management types. Essentially they're just throwing him in as president of hockey operations because he's a "name" Gretzky and Trottier couldn't coach. Nieuwendyk was a terrible GM. Messier is trying to worm his way into some management/coaching position basically just because he's Messier.

Why fire the gm now? They are rebuilding, and to be honest I feel like the most recent moves they've made have been steals. Vanek for moulson (1st basically) a 1st and a 2nd? Lou level trade right there. I mean ownership must have been aware of the GMs plans and the need to rebuild.  

Moulson has already gotten on the coach's bad side.  I believe he was either benched or scratched in a recent game.

Should've never fired Ruff

Why Lafontaine. So he was a great player. Great players normally don't make great management types. Essentially they're just throwing him in as president of hockey operations because he's a "name" Gretzky and Trottier couldn't coach. Nieuwendyk was a terrible GM. Messier is trying to worm his way into some management/coaching position basically just because he's Messier.

Yzerman has done okay in Tampa, although he was walking into a pretty good situation in that there was nowhere to go but up.  Sakic is off to a pretty good start in Colorado. 

The big danger you run into when you hire the hometown heroes as coaches or executives is that it's harder to fire them.  I mean, imagine how difficult it would be for the Rags to fire Messier as the coach or GM if it turned out to be a mistake.  That's one reason why I'm praying that Marty does not succeed Lou as GM.  (My contrarian choice for that role would be Pierre McGuire).

Regier deserves to be fired for a number of reasons.  One, he built this team that totally imploded.  Two, he hired the coach that helped it continue.  Just because he managed to sell some pieces off doesn't make him a good GM.

But why was he not fired already? If the teams performance is why, then I don't get the firing. They were never going to perform they are in a visible rebuild. His team totally imploded he shoulda been fired long ago, I just don't understand the sudden firing. Typically when you fire the staff mid season like this its a performance thing, I'd have to imagine ownership knew that this team was going to suck.

Edited by Sneax

But why was he not fired already? If the teams performance is why, then I don't get the firing. They were never going to perform they are in a visible rebuild. His team totally imploded he shoulda been fired long ago, I just don't understand the sudden firing. Typically when you fire the staff mid season like this its a performance thing, I'd have to imagine ownership knew that this team was going to suck.

The Sabres have some good young players who are doing terribly.  It's one thing to not perform, it's another to be one of the worst teams in NHL history, which is what the Sabres are shooting for right now.

If you're ready to fire the coach, and you don't trust the GM to make the proper move...you have to fire the GM too

I remember hearing on NHL Radio on XM once....I think it was Espo....but he always felt if he was an owner this is how he'd handle his GM's

"You get ONE 'get out of jail free card' (in firing the coach).....if you want to fire the second, you'd better be giving me a damned good reason why, or I'm going to wonder why I have you around too..."

It sounds more like they gave him a good figurehead job, and the power to put the good hockey people in place that's all....I'd rather have a guy with legit NHL cred doing that then some fool owner who really doesn't know the league in and out like LalalalalalalaFontaine (oops...) does....and it does add a feel good moment in a horrible 6 weeks of Sabre hockey.....