Oh these new owners are just dandy

RangersSuck23

Aside from the TM glitches, it does seem like the Devils misled people into believing they would be able to get four tickets with their voucher.

Looking at most of the online comments about this issue on this site, FB, HFBoards, etc., it does seem like hardly anyone successfully claimed four tickets. How many people on this website got four tickets?

While nowhere on the voucher itself does it say anything about it being a "chance" to get four tickets, it does say that it is "REDEEMABLE for 'up to' four tickets to see the New Jersey Devils take on the Carolina Hurricanes on November 27 at 7 p.m."

And on the bottom it says, "Tickets subject to availability."

That's all written on the voucher itself. But the only way anyone would've gotten to read that voucher was if they had already purchased tickets to the Kings game and entered the building with their five cans of food.

The Devils actively promoted the bring five cans/get four tickets offer through news releases, emails and Deb reading about it on air. They did that not only to generate donations to the Community FoodBank of New Jersey but also to generate more tickets sales to the Kings game.

From those promotions, there was no indication that anyone -- never mind almost everyone -- wouldn't be able to get four tickets to whatever game the Devils picked. Nowhere in the news release or emails did it say anything about a "chance" to get four tickets. Nowhere in the news release or emails did it say "Tickets subject to availability."

Because of that, I think many fans have reason to feel slightly misled into buying tickets to that Kings game.

Subject: Devils Return Home Sunday & Special Offers Inside

To:

Date: Fri, Nov 8, 2013 5:37 pm

DEVILS RETURN HOME SUNDAY

Your Devils end this week’s road trip with stop a stop in Toronto tonight. Make sure to tune in at 7:30 PM to MSG+ to watch! See the action live, this Sunday when Jersey’s Team takes on Nashville, with the family by purchasing a Family Pack, or be at The Rock for another great game in November!

There are lots of can’t- miss promotions this month at Devils games, such as:

-- November 15: annual Jersey Hockey Fights Hunger canned food drive in association with the Community Food Bank of New Jersey. Every person in attendance that donates five(5) canned goods will receive a voucher for four(4) tickets to an upcoming Devils game along with a raffle ticket to be entered to win signed Devils memorabilia!

-- November 25: Team Calendar giveaway night! Purchase a Family Pack and each fan in attendance will receive a 2014 New Jersey Devils Team Calendar.

-- November 27: Poster Series #1 (Bryce Salvador) giveaway night. The first in five poster giveaway nights this season, make sure to get your poster!

-- November 30: annual Jersey Cares coat drive. Please bring new or cleaned gently used coats to the game. Each person in attendance that donates a coat will receive a voucher for four(4) tickets to an upcoming Devils game!

There are more great promotions during the 2013-14 so make sure to check out all of them here.

Jersey Hockey Fights Hunger food drive set for Friday, Nov. 15

Monday, 11.11.2013 / 11:15 AM / News

New Jersey Devils

The Devils will host their annual Jersey Hockey Fights Hunger food drive this Fri., Nov. 15 when the Los Angeles Kings visit Prudential Center at 7:00 PM. Once again, this year’s event will benefit the Community FoodBank of New Jersey.

All fans attending that evening’s game are asked to bring unopened cans or boxes of non-perishable food.

Requested items include canned fish/meat, powdered milk and infant formula, boxed/canned meals, peanut butter, and canned vegetables/fruits.

Each person that donates five or more items will receive a voucher for four free tickets to an upcoming Devils game along with receiving a raffle tickets for autographed Devils memorabilia.

Wives and girlfriends of Devils’ players will be on hand at the PNC and Lafayette Towers, Lafayette Street, VIP and Skybridge entrances to assist the CFB of NJ volunteers. Every fan who makes a donation that evening will be eligible to win autographed Devils’ memorabilia.

The Community FoodBank of New Jersey, a member of Feeding America, distributed 43 million pounds of food in the last year to people in need in 18 of New Jersey's 21 counties.

Its staff and volunteers fight hunger and poverty not only through the distribution of food and grocery products, but by education, training, and by creating new programs to meet the needs of low-income people.

For further information, please contact the Community FoodBank of New Jersey at 908-355-3663 or cfbnj.org.

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=690973

Subject: Rivaly Weekend, Special Offers, and More

Date: Thu, Nov 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Don’t miss a great weekend of hockey when your New Jersey Devils take on their 2012 Stanley Cup Final rival LA Kings and the division rival the Pittsburgh Penguins. Limited seats remain.

Those in attendance on Friday that support the annual Jersey Hockey Fights Hunger Food Drive benefitting the Community FoodBank of New Jersey will be entered into a raffle to win signed Devils memorabilia. Those that donate five or more food items will also receive a voucher valid for four complementary tickets to an upcoming Devils home game! Click here to learn more about the items that are most needed for the food bank.

PURCHASE TICKETS

Aside from the TM glitches, it does seem like the Devils misled people into believing they would be able to get four tickets with their voucher.

Looking at most of the online comments about this issue on this site, FB, HFBoards, etc., it does seem like hardly anyone successfully claimed four tickets. How many people on this website got four tickets?

While nowhere on the voucher itself does it say anything about it being a "chance" to get four tickets, it does say that it is "REDEEMABLE for 'up to' four tickets to see the New Jersey Devils take on the Carolina Hurricanes on November 27 at 7 p.m."

That's all written on the voucher itself. But the only way anyone would've gotten to read that voucher was if they had already purchased tickets to the Kings game and entered the building with their five cans of food.

The Devils actively promoted the bring five cans/get four tickets offer through news releases, emails and Deb reading about it on air. They did that not only to generate donations to the Community FoodBank of New Jersey but also to generate more tickets sales to the Kings game.

From those promotions, there was no indication that anyone -- never mind almost everyone -- wouldn't be able to get four tickets to whatever game the Devils picked. Nowhere in the news release or emails did it say anything about a "chance" to get four tickets. Nowhere in the news release or emails did it say "Tickets subject to availability."

Because of that, I think many fans have reason to feel slightly misled into buying tickets to that Kings game.

Do you know how many times I have gotten coupons for stuff where it had "subject to availability" on it?  Also, do you know how many times I saw ads for those coupons/vouchers and didn't mention it was subject to availability until I got the actual coupon itself?  Look at how many Black Friday deals coming up will be "subject to availability" but people know each store will only have a small amount so that is why people start camping in front of the store a day before.  This is what happened here and we were part of the huge mob of people who were just a little too late for 4 tickets.

I know people are upset and I am not happy at how it was handled either, but my main gripes are with TM and not the Devils.

Do you know how many times I have gotten coupons for stuff where it had "subject to availability" on it?  Also, do you know how many times I saw ads for those coupons/vouchers and didn't mention it was subject to availability until I got the actual coupon itself?  Look at how many Black Friday deals coming up will be "subject to availability" but people know each store will only have a small amount so that is why people start camping in front of the store a day before.  This is what happened here and we were part of the huge mob of people who were just a little too late for 4 tickets.

I know people are upset and I am not happy at how it was handled either, but my main gripes are with TM and not the Devils.

Just for the record, I am not one of those people that are upset about it. I was lucky to get three tickets out of it. I can take my kid and my nephew.

But I can understand many other people being more than a little miffed if they didn't get any tickets or only got two instead of four.

I think this Devils' promotion was slightly different than coming across an advertisement for a coupon in the newspaper or on TV. People actually had to shell out money for tickets to a hockey game first before getting their voucher.

The Devils said that "each person who donated five or more items of food" would get a voucher for four free tickets. So far, most people have been unable to get their four free tickets, or so it seems.

It's pretty black and white IMO.

Edited by 95Crash

Just for the record, I am not one of those people that are upset about it. I was lucky to get three tickets out of it. I can take my kid and my nephew.

But I can understand many other people being more than a little miffed if they didn't get any tickets or only got two instead of four.

I think this Devils' promotion was slightly different than coming across an advertisement for a coupon in the newspaper or on TV. People actually had to shell out money for tickets to a hockey game first before getting their voucher.

The Devils said that "each person who donated five or more items of food" would get a voucher for four free tickets. So far, most people have been unable to get their four free tickets, or so it seems.

It's pretty black and white IMO.

You have to shell out money for Groupon too but I have also seen a lot of "subject to availability" listed on those too.  You paid to go to the Kings game to see the Devils play the Kings and the Food Drive was optional and the voucher for tickets was an added bonus.  It wasn't advertised as a guaranteed by one game, get one free option.

I still think about 90% of the blame on this falls on TM and their sh!tty system.  I can understand and take part in the anger towards them.

You've got a great point there. I don't know if this is directly the doing of the new owners but definitely someone in the Devil's promotional department. Not having participated in something like this in the past I was under the impression that the voucher meant that I would somehow receive 4 tickets to a future game.

As 95Crash stated it wasn't until you purchased tickets to the Kings game, and read the voucher that it said UP TO 4 TICKETS and Tickets subject to availability. I would agree 100% that this is partially misleading as well.

Now I've come to realize in life that usually nothing is what you expect it to be so I'm satisfied that I was able to get 3 tickets out of it - only after figuring out myself that you had to select will call because of TMs crap error message that said nothing along those lines.

You have to shell out money for Groupon too but I have also seen a lot of "subject to availability" listed on those too.  You paid to go to the Kings game to see the Devils play the Kings and the Food Drive was optional and the voucher for tickets was an added bonus.  It wasn't advertised as a guaranteed by one game, get one free option.

I still think about 90% of the blame on this falls on TM and their sh!tty system.  I can understand and take part in the anger towards them.

The problem is that TM has a monopoly as the primary ticket marketplace throughout the entire country.  They don't give a sh!t about this system glitch, especially since it's not making them any money.  TM sucks, but we have almost no choice but to go through them.  The Devils, on the other hand, should care because the perception is (rightly or wrongly) that they misled their consumers with this promotion and fumbled it badly.  At the end of the day, the problems will fall back on the Devils and they will have to make it right or risk alienating more fans.

A buddy of mine just texted me and he said he was able to get 6 tickets in 212 within the last hour  He had 2 vouchers and he got 4 with 1 and 2 with the other voucher.

So it is possible to get 4 together.  It's just TM archaic website that screwed everyone over.

Edited by DevsMan84

A buddy of mine just texted me and he said he was able to get 6 tickets in 212 within the last hour  He had 2 vouchers and he got 4 with 1 and 2 with the other voucher.

So it is possible to get 4 together.  It's just TM archaic website that screwed everyone over.

Just a heads up to anybody. If you already got 2 seats with a voucher, you can still use the voucher to get 2 more.

Do there you go.  That's 4 tickets and that pretty much says it was all TM's fault then.

I've had the site up since yesterday trying to redeem the other 2 tickets left on each voucher. I haven't had any luck since I got the 2 and 2. Every once and a while I see a section light up blue, I click it, then the seats, but then it always says 'something happened, maybe another fan got to them first' or whatever it says.

Had I been able to pull the trigger on seats I thought I had, but then got error messages for, I'd have 8 tickets to this game. While I agree a lot of this is TM, some of the blame has to fall on the Devils marketing team for seriously underestimating how many vouchers they'd be giving out. I don't think they knew this many people would get them or else TM would have been better prepared for the amount of traffic.

Edited by ATLL765

Have to really agree here.. Every issue, big or little, is being blamed on new ownership..

People blaming the issues with the organization on the people who own and run it? Lunacy!

I hate the new owners, and I hate the direction they're trying to bring the franchise. I'm not the least bit surprised, though, I split my time between NJ and Philly, and Sixers fans have all but given. Terrible ownership plays a part. How can you possibly question someone's loyalty to a team because they question the decisions ownership makes? Theredstorm is just trying to cause conflict. I'm still a diehard fan, I still watch every possible game I can, which is just about every single one, but hearing the name Joshua Harris has started to make me sick to my stomach.

People blaming the issues with the organization on the people who own and run it? Lunacy!

I hate the new owners, and I hate the direction they're trying to bring the franchise. I'm not the least bit surprised, though, I split my time between NJ and Philly, and Sixers fans have all but given. Terrible ownership plays a part. How can you possibly question someone's loyalty to a team because they question the decisions ownership makes? Theredstorm is just trying to cause conflict. I'm still a diehard fan, I still watch every possible game I can, which is just about every single one, but hearing the name Joshua Harris has started to make me sick to my stomach.

I just think the new ownership group is taking a new approach.  JVB was great towards die-hards and established fans, but his marketing was laughably bad and promotion was almost non-existant other than practically giving away tickets to almost every game.

These new owners want to attract casual fans and families.  Can't really argue with that approach as he is looking for new opportunities to expand and not just concentrating almost their entire efforts on fans whose money they already have like JVB did.  That business model usually fails in the long run and JVB did just that.

I just think the new ownership group is taking a new approach.  JVB was great towards die-hards and established fans, but his marketing was laughably bad and promotion was almost non-existant other than practically giving away tickets to almost every game.

These new owners want to attract casual fans and families.  Can't really argue with that approach as he is looking for new opportunities to expand and not just concentrating almost their entire efforts on fans whose money they already have like JVB did.  That business model usually fails in the long run and JVB did just that.

The email they sent to STH said the opposite though, that they're not worried about the casual, value oriented fan. So that would lead me to believe that casual fans aren't what they're looking to attract.

The email they sent to STH said the opposite though, that they're not worried about the casual, value oriented fan. So that would lead me to believe that casual fans aren't what they're looking to attract.

Eh the more I read it the more I think it's more lip service.  They have to tow the line between keeping the STH happy and getting the casual fans in.  I think they want to get casual fans in but they see its mostly the hardcore Devils fans that have mostly been using those discounted ticket links than casual fans.

I think it ludicrus to blame the new owners for anything.  These guys are our white knights.  Things could have turned out very different.

As for this promotion, I didn't go, and I have no gripe, but I will say this:  I remember vividly hearing the announcers talking about this promotion and wondering how the team could possibly make that kind of offer.  It made no sense when I heard it, but I gather that whoever is responsible for these things, didn't do a good job writing copy, and left out the detail about limits. Having said that, I think even without the "fine print," common sense should apply.  Besides, it was for a good cause.  (I'm guessing TM didn't work because the tickets were gone.)

Ask the MLS about marketing to families as opposed to trying to attract hardcore fans. And what marketing have they done? The team is no more exposed now than it was this time last year. No owner we've had as long as I've been alive has done anything in terms of marketing. Community outreach is pitiful, if not non-existent. I have never seen a Devils marketing effort anywhere, and I have lived in New Jersey my entire life. The only thing I can ever remember were ads at Parkway tolls during the finals last year. There is literally no excuse for awful marketing. In fairness, I don't live in North Jersey, and I've seen pictures of billboards, but don't wonder why no one shows up to games and the fan base is so thin when the team makes no effort to get involved with the community.