NFL Week 13!

CRASHER

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was anyone else surprised that the Steelers had that late TD called back because the RB had his helmet knocked off inches before crossing the goal line? The refs had ruled it a TD on the field but then reversed the call after a review.

I understand that there is a rule that says that as soon as any player with the ball loses his helmet the play is dead, but I don't think that it should be a reviewable play.

I guess maybe it had to be reviewed because it happened with under two minutes left, but still, it just seems strange to me that that can be overturned.

I know the Steelers ended up scoring anyway a couple of plays later, but maybe if they hadn't had to run a few more unsuccessful attempts, they would've still had something up their sleeve for the two-point conversion.

I had no stake in that game -- just my thoughts.

All TDs are automatically reviewed....the guy's helmet coming off is no different then a replay showing his knee down before he gets in the end zone....it sucks the guy almost died in the process :blink:

but the way the rule is written they DID get it right.....for what it's worth....

All TDs are automatically reviewed....the guy's helmet coming off is no different then a replay showing his knee down before he gets in the end zone....it sucks the guy almost died in the process :blink:

but the way the rule is written they DID get it right.....for what it's worth....

I agree that it sucks the guy got hurt on that play. Is he in the hospital right now -- I haven't checked. I imagine in the very least he suffered a serious concussion.

But while it is apparent that the officials were correct in reviewing the play according to the rules as they are written -- Collinsworth made that point clear in his analysis -- the fact that the guy got hurt shouldn't have a say in whether or not they review the spot of the ball IMO.

To me, where they spot the ball on a play like that shouldn't be reviewable even on a potential TD just as they wouldn't review a possible holding call on a potential TD.

To me, it should be all about when the refs blew the whistle. And in this case, the refs said he had gotten into the end zone, which he clearly did.

Going back and looking for the exact moment his helmet came off doesn't change anything about the play. If anything, it inadvertently penalizes the team whose player got hurt rather than the team that committed the fineable transgression -- helmet to helmet.

Edited by 95Crash

I agree that it sucks the guy got hurt on that play. Is he in the hospital right now -- I haven't checked. I imagine in the very least he suffered a serious concussion.

But while it is apparent that the officials were correct in reviewing the play according to the rules as they are written -- Collinsworth made that point clear in his analysis -- the fact that the guy got hurt shouldn't have a say in whether or not they review the spot of the ball IMO.

To me, where they spot the ball on a play like that shouldn't be reviewable even on a potential TD just as they wouldn't review a possible holding call on a potential TD.

To me, it should be all about when the refs blew the whistle. And in this case, the refs said he had gotten into the end zone, which he clearly did.

Going back and looking for the exact moment his helmet came off doesn't change anything about the play. If anything, it inadvertently penalizes the team whose player got hurt rather than the team that committed the fineable transgression -- helmet to helmet.

But see according to the letter of the rule...it DOES....once the helmet comes off the play is dead...errr....finished....BAD word choice....and the second the helmet comes off its like a knee or an elbow hitting the ground....since it's a TD its also reviewed automatically....the intent of the rule conflicts with the execution....much like when a receiver ducks and gets clocked in the head the DB still gets 15 yards....

I want to know where the media outcry is for Tomlin to be fined or suspended (should be suspended) what he did was worse than Alosi and Tomlin is the freaking head coach. If Ryan pulled something like that Mike Francesa would have a stroke screaming about it.

Don't like the Jets chances tomorrow. Dolphins will get to Geno as the Jets blitz pickup is generally atrocious. I think we can get to Tannehill but Tannehill actually has the weapons to beat the Jets deep. Cromartie is going to be staring at the back of Wallace's jersey for much of tomorrow afternoon and Hartline will kill is underneath as always. Geno will stare his receivers down and do something stupid. 27-9 Miami.

Totally agree with you about Tomlin. He was actually ON the field and altered the course of Jones.

We all here pretty much agree with you....I added in how potentially dangerous it is what Tomlin did too....but Jacoby Jones isn't a quarterback so the rules of safety and protection don't apply to him :P

Oh and Bree's isnt good in cold weather. Wilson hasn't seen defeat in his home territory back into hod college days. Browner wouldnt be playing even if he wasn't suspended. They did fine last year when he was suspended. Harvin not playing sucks bad. But wilson hasn't been playing with rice and harvin for a bit. They'd be a lot worse if they had them since day one and both. I'd be surprised if rams win yeah they are playing good but map hasn't had his boys all season now there coming back. That'd great for the team so look out

It's not the weapons on the 49ers I question....its what's between the ears of #7 I wonder about....St. Louis gave them all they could handle last year when the Niners were rolling, that game (like most) is hardly a gimmie.....

GOOD!!!!!

REPORT: STEELERS, TOMLIN FACE BIG FINE, COULD LOSE DRAFT PICK OVER SIDELINE MOVE - Mike Tomlin’s blunder when he stepped onto the playing field during a kickoff return by the Baltimore Ravens on Thursday night might cost the Pittsburgh Steelers big-time.

According to an ESPN report, Tomlin and the Steelers both could face big fines, and that the Steelers could lose a draft pick. ESPN reported that Tomlin and the Steelers could face six-figure fines.

That one's a shocker, I thought it'd be 24-0 the other way by now.  Houston quit weeks ago, eight-game losing streak and the Pats don't generally **** around against patsies.

I might wind up turning on the RedZone channel during the second half of the Jet game at this rate, especially if Rex comes out with Geno for the second half.

Edited by NJDevs4978

That's a potential killer loss for the Pats.  Can't go crazy until it actually happens though. 

Time for Rex to give Idzik the middle finger and put Simms in. 

Agreed...stop waiting for permission to pull him Rex, otherwise he's gonna cost you your job.

Probably what Idzik wants.  That's why Rex needs to say "fvck you, at least if I'm going out, I'm going out my way."

Pats take the lead and Keenum is leading his team right down the field.  Big shock.

And the Genius' D gives up a TD after NE takes the lead.  Of course they do.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Totally gutless football by Rex going for the FG down 13 late in the third quarter.  Your D hasn't gotten off the field all day, your offense isn't scoring.  If you're going to go for the FG then at least throw the ball on third down from the three for crissakes.

And of course Miami scores another TD, ballgame over, season over.

And so ends the Geno Smith era. I'm not sure this bozo will be in the NFL much longer, but the only way he ever throws another pass should be if Simms gets hurt...Simms needs to start the rest of the way. Chances are he's not the QB of the future, but at least we know 100% that Geno Smith is not.

The story of Jets' season is the unbelievable regression of Geno Smith.  This guy DID have good games and good moments against some good teams. 

And the Genius' D gets torched on a deep play.  Same old sh!t.