BuffaLOL @ The Rock

lazer

The vuvuzela is fine during the PK, as I love the "Kill!" chant... However, whoever uses it at any other point really needs to stop.

I'm in Section 119, and when someone in our section or a section over would start a nice loud "Let's Go Devils!" chant, Section 122 would chime in, which is fine and all, but the vuvuzela would come in late/off-tempo and it ruined at least 2-3 "Let's Go Devils!" chants because it threw everyone off. They really need to stop with the vuvuzelas, they're getting more and more out of control as each game goes on, it's like that person's nervous tic now.

Correct.  I agree with most of the board that it's fine on the PK but having a noisemaker going on at all times is just annoying.  If they want to make honest-to-god authentic noise that's one thing but using props is an easy way out imo and quite ridiculous that it's nonstop at all times.

It wouldn't be so bad if our eardrums weren't assaulted from the moment we get in the door. The arena is so damn loud that you can't have a conversation at any time, even during intermission. The fact that these guys get cheapo tix, then also get to annoy the sh!t out of anyone remotely close to their section is stupid.

And yeah, doing the Baumann chant every period really kills it. No one wants to join in when the chant it done so often, it's LAME. The one time it was done at the other end of the ice Saturday night, the chant was 50X louder than any of the attempts by the diablos.

Bingo bingo bingo.  I don't know who thought it was a good idea to have a dj playing superloud music in the concourse a half hour or so before games, but it just seems like the team (and I'm including the Diablos in this cause they're more or less an extension of the Devils at this point) is going loud louder and loudest this year and it's not enhancing the experience at all, quite the opposite.

I've said it before, but the fanbase has gotten much younger as the people who were kids when the cups were won have started buying tickets for themselves. Add in public transportation, and it's going to be a different crowd than the CAA. With a younger fanbase comes less maturity and less subtlety. These are just younger people who want to yell and make noise in support of the team.

I'm a little older now, and much less interested in standing and screaming like a banshee after I just worked for 9 hours and then drove another hour in traffic. Personally, I like to just sit back and enjoy the game itself.

However, I do understand that these things come with a younger fanbase, and it's not something unique to New Jersey. The Islanders have a similar group, in section 329 in the Coliseum. A friend of mine was one of the ones who started and lead that group 6 or 7 years ago. Now he's older, and he can't stand how obnoxious they are.

It's the same thing in Jersey. It's not the kids getting louder, it's that there's a lot more of them now and we have gotten older. I'm not a fan of the whole 'sucks/swallow' thing at all, but I do like having some life in the building at times. Sadly, a lot of the noise now feels manufactured. I think their hearts are in the right place, in that most of them truly believe they are helping the team or the atmosphere. Unfortunately, you do have the occasional one who thinks he's hilarious and original and that we paid to listen to him all game. They tend to be the loudest of all (and drunk). All in all though, I prefer natural crowd noise of people who are enjoying the game and not trying to be the star of it.

That being said, the horn and cowbell should really be used in moderation and to the beat of the chants. It tends to sound like a 'noise for the sake of noise' type of mess. Last Monday, I thought a lab monkey was hitting the cowbell every time he wanted a treat.

Edit... and once again, CR1976 puts a similar idea together in a much more concise and less-rambling way. Read his post instead haha....

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

The lower bowl is 100 times nicer than the upper.  Honestly the only place in the middle/uppers that is reasonable is the balcony side where the Devils shoot twice.

Been to the lower bowl enough times to compare. It's "to each his own"; I like the view AND the atmosphere much more in the uppers, believe it or not. Space and comfort are the only things lacking, but otherwise, I'd pick my upper seats over lower bowl seats 99 times out of 100.

Edited by DJ Eco

Been to the lower bowl enough times to compare. It's "to each his own"; I like the view AND the atmosphere much more in the uppers, believe it or not. Space and comfort are the only things lacking, but otherwise, I'd pick my upper seats over lower bowl seats 99 times out of 100.

Space is another thing I hate about the uppers. When I sit down, my legs should be able to either stretch out a tiny bit or at least go down in a 90 degree angle.  Instead my legs are constantly having to be tucked below my own seat because there is just no damn room up there.

I used to not mind the uppers but every game I am learning to loathe them more and more for various reasons.

Space is another thing I hate about the uppers. When I sit down, my legs should be able to either stretch out a tiny bit or at least go down in a 90 degree angle.  Instead my legs are constantly having to be tucked below my own seat because there is just no damn room up there.

I used to not mind the uppers but every game I am learning to loathe them more and more for various reasons.

I usually have plenty of legroom but it helps the two seats next to me are almost never sold, which is kind of surprising given the location.

Of course the game I was downstairs last week I was in section 13 so I was still right below the Diablos, I could hear the noisemakers like they were right next to me.  I don't like quiet arenas either, but annoying noise for the sake of making noise really isn't any better than no noise at all.  The 2012 playoffs rocked and they didn't need the stupid noisemakers/vuvuzelas/super-loud music.  I love hearing loud D-E-V-I-L-S chants and things like that.  I'm not against loud noise, but not all loud noises are created equal.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I guess I'm bias, but I'd take the college atmosphere over the quiet, dry, corporate Rangers/Maple Leafs atmosphere any day of the week. And I mention those two teams because I feel like that's what you'd prefer the Devils' to be like, at some point..

Edit: Which, to clarify, is fine I guess, to each their own. I'm not looking to start a pissing contest or anything, but I guess I'm having a hard time grasping the other side of the debate here.

I understand what you're afraid of with the corporate atmosphere, but there is a clear line between a college atmosphere and an environment where you encourage all potential fans to come and participate.

I think (and hope) the new ownership is trying to find that balance between college party and family friendly event, because such an atmosphere should be able to please everyone and simultaneously create more of a home ice advantage.

I've said it before, but the fanbase has gotten much younger as the people who were kids when the cups were won have started buying tickets for themselves. Add in public transportation, and it's going to be a different crowd than the CAA. With a younger fanbase comes less maturity and less subtlety. These are just younger people who want to yell and make noise in support of the team.

I'm a little older now, and much less interested in standing and screaming like a banshee after I just worked for 9 hours and then drove another hour in traffic. Personally, I like to just sit back and enjoy the game itself.

However, I do understand that these things come with a younger fanbase, and it's not something unique to New Jersey. The Islanders have a similar group, in section 329 in the Coliseum. A friend of mine was one of the ones who started and lead that group 6 or 7 years ago. Now he's older, and he can't stand how obnoxious they are.

It's the same thing in Jersey. It's not the kids getting louder, it's that there's a lot more of them now and we have gotten older. I'm not a fan of the whole 'sucks/swallow' thing at all, but I do like having some life in the building at times. Sadly, a lot of the noise now feels manufactured. I think their hearts are in the right place, in that most of them truly believe they are helping the team or the atmosphere. Unfortunately, you do have the occasional one who thinks he's hilarious and original and that we paid to listen to him all game. They tend to be the loudest of all (and drunk). All in all though, I prefer natural crowd noise of people who are enjoying the game and not trying to be the star of it.

That being said, the horn and cowbell should really be used in moderation and to the beat of the chants. It tends to sound like a 'noise for the sake of noise' type of mess. Last Monday, I thought a lab monkey was hitting the cowbell every time he wanted a treat.

Edit... and once again, CR1976 puts a similar idea together in a much more concise and less-rambling way. Read his post instead haha....

Why do young people always get blamed for things getting worse? No offense to you in particular, this is just something a lot of people do. I'm 23, I don't think I'm that old and I dislike the "college" atmosphere thing. While young people tend to be less considerate at times, older people aren't exactly blame free. Just sayin', ya know, screw you OLD MAN, lol jk.

LMAO at the bold there. That's how I feel about the vuvuzela. It felt like the guy was killing other organic LGD chants because he couldn't hear anything over his own plastic horn, so he was way out of sync with the rest of the arena.

CR1976 and Devil Dan - thanks for the great posts.  I'm understanding a bit better now where the other side is coming from.  There has to be a middle ground (as the post I quoted below mentioned) that can keep all parties happy - and I hope the Devils manage to find it quickly. 

I understand what you're afraid of with the corporate atmosphere, but there is a clear line between a college atmosphere and an environment where you encourage all potential fans to come and participate.  I think (and hope) the new ownership is trying to find that balance between college party and family friendly event, because such an atmosphere should be able to please everyone and simultaneously create more of a home ice advantage.

Amen, amen.  Here's hoping they do find that balance.

Why do young people always get blamed for things getting worse? No offense to you in particular, this is just something a lot of people do. I'm 23, I don't think I'm that old and I dislike the "college" atmosphere thing. While young people tend to be less considerate at times, older people aren't exactly blame free. Just sayin', ya know, screw you OLD MAN, lol jk.

LMAO at the bold there. That's how I feel about the vuvuzela. It felt like the guy was killing other organic LGD chants because he couldn't hear anything over his own plastic horn, so he was way out of sync with the rest of the arena.

Haha, I didn't mean to come off as youth-bashing. I'm not too much older than you (I'm 32, and trust me, that number doesn't feel as big when you get to it :giggle: )

I wasn't trying to blame younger people as much as I was just trying to point out that a younger crowd is more energetic and therefore more likely to be boisterous, drunk, cursing, etc. I didn't mean to blanket or pigeon hole all younger people, as I know not all of you are like that. And honestly, most of us in the slightly older crowd don't mind that stuff too much. It may not be our cup of tea, but you can't expect 16,000 people to be on the same page.

In fact, I was chatting with an older gentleman who sits near me (I'm guessing he's in his 60's) before the game Monday, and he said he hates that they took away 'you suck'. I'm paraphrasing, but he said something along the lines of "this is Jersey. Suck isn't that bad of a word. It's not like we were saying 'eat sh!t'. I said worse on the bus when I was a kid." 

I fall somewhere in the between. I may not be into the "vulgar" chants (and I use that term loosely), but I'm also not looking to tell anyone else what to say.

In fact, I was chatting with an older gentleman who sits near me (I'm guessing he's in his 60's) before the game Monday, and he said he hates that they took away 'you suck'. I'm paraphrasing, but he said something along the lines of "this is Jersey. Suck isn't that bad of a word. It's not like we were saying 'eat sh!t'. I said worse on the bus when I was a kid." 

Now THERE'S an idea!

"HEYYYY, EAT sh!t!"

:giggle:

Edited by Devilsfan118