Big week

TomsRiverDevil

Home and home with the Canadiens on Monday and Wednesday

Home against the wings on Friday,

Rags on Saturday

Time to make a move!

6 points would be great, at least stay above nhl 500

All these teams are like us...middle of the pack...and beatable,    yeah 3 wins (regulation) would be great esp the two against Det/NY

I'm guessing an NHL .500 split.  Would be thrilled if the Devils could do more than that.  And if Schneider was named the #1 goalie by the end of those four games. 

I know I'm stating the blatantly obvious here, but the Devils really stink at putting pucks in the net...they have been shut out five times and held to one goal five times in 27 games.  10 games out of 27 being held to one goal or less?  That's pretty fugly. 

That's why, as hopeful as I try to remain, it's hard to make a case for the Devils being much better than NHL .500 anytime soon this season...unless a guy like Ryder suddenly gets hot.  The Devils can only count on so many goals from guys like Janssen, Carter and Bernier. 

I understood why Lou signed Brunner, and I supported it, but the guy has now scored 6 goals in his last 49 NHL games.  2 SOG in his last 5 games.  More healthy scratches are coming his way. 

I know I'm stating the blatantly obvious here, but the Devils really stink at putting pucks in the net...they have been shut out five times and held to one goal five times in 27 games.  10 games out of 27 being held to one goal or less?  That's pretty fugly. 

That's why, as hopeful as I try to remain, it's hard to make a case for the Devils being much better than NHL .500 anytime soon this season...unless a guy like Ryder suddenly gets hot.  The Devils can only count on so many goals from guys like Janssen, Carter and Bernier. 

I understood why Lou signed Brunner, and I supported it, but the guy has now scored 6 goals in his last 49 NHL games.  2 SOG in his last 5 games.  More healthy scratches are coming his way. 

Maybe Lou can convince Brunner to retire and go back home

thats the problem were not getting goals out of so many of our forwards.. last night was berniers 2nd.. brunner and ryder have both gone missing.. clowe is still out dont know if he would be any help in the goal department anyway since he looked pretty useless as well.. a lot of our goals are coming from our D this year and thats why we are left with such low scoring games.. henrique, zubrus and zajac dont produce frequently enough i feel like jagr and elias are the only ones that we can actually depend on to get us goals consistently.

All 3 of these teams have had their struggles, and have been pretty inconsistent much the Devils this year.  I don't know how to predict the outcome of this week.  Realistically, I can definitely see a 4 out of 8 point week.  I'm hoping for a 5+ point week from the boys though.

Start to slump? NJ has been very unlucky 5 on 5, soon enough NJ will start having 3 goal a game weeks. 

This has been going on for too long though.  I don't disagree with your premise, but I don't see any indication that 3 goals-a-game is coming any time soon.

Yeah we haven't been scoring goals but it's not like we've been inept offensively either. So many posts hit and shots wide.

And you also can't discount what our defense has been doing...top 2 pk in the league and best in shots against. With that type if defensive performance even a slight uptick in goals scored will mean we're playoff bound.

This has been going on for too long though.  I don't disagree with your premise, but I don't see any indication that 3 goals-a-game is coming any time soon.

i feel like 3 goals a game is pretty average for a good scoring team (which we are not really) but anything less is just not acceptable if you think about it.. scoring 2 goals should not be such a struggle like it is

we are close in most games, adding a solid scorer with be huge for us....I know easier said than done..but you never say never with Lou

some team might have a scorer that wants out of his current situation...it happens

if we had a solid finisher just that one guy to come threw for us we would be a MUCH better team i feel like thats the only thing we are lacking.. right now jagr is trying to play that role but i dont think its quite there with his age... dont get me wrong the guy is basically our best forward along with elias goal scoring wise but we would be much better with one more real solid guy like him and ten or so years younger

Ryder needs to step up. Right now, he reminds me too much of Rolston. If he doesn't (or even if he does), I could see Lou trading Fayne for a forward. Gelinas, Larsson and Greene are looking great, and if Merrill's ready, and he's looked good this time up, that's a solid 4 d. Since Zid and Volch aren't going anywhere, Sal has to get healthy at some point, and we still have Harrold, Fayne is expendable, much as I like him.

Ryder needs to step up. Right now, he reminds me too much of Rolston. If he doesn't (or even if he does), I could see Lou trading Fayne for a forward. Gelinas, Larsson and Greene are looking great, and if Merrill's ready, and he's looked good this time up, that's a solid 4 d. Since Zid and Volch aren't going anywhere, Sal has to get healthy at some point, and we still have Harrold, Fayne is expendable, much as I like him.

out of all of those tradable guys i agree i would want to part with fayne first.. i mean sal obviously isnt going anywhere and no one would want him and zid and volch i dont think would gain much interest either.. i wish we could ship out brunner at this point also but as i said no one will want him with what hes done in the past 45+ games only 6 goals or whatever it was..thats beyond miserable.

Yeah we haven't been scoring goals but it's not like we've been inept offensively either. So many posts hit and shots wide.

And you also can't discount what our defense has been doing...top 2 pk in the league and best in shots against. With that type if defensive performance even a slight uptick in goals scored will mean we're playoff bound.

I agree with this completely.  If there is a team who is good offensively, and not score many goals, it's the New Jersey Devils.  It's a quarterback or NFL offense that can have 500+ yards, but not score many TD's.

I think a team would take Zids, he's producing offensively 

I'd love to trade Zid over Fayne, but I think Lou and DeBo are both high on him. Since Gelly's giving us some offensive production, IMO ZIds is less of a necessity than he was, and Fayne's obviously more reliable in the d zone.

I'd love to trade Zid over Fayne, but I think Lou and DeBo are both high on him. Since Gelly's giving us some offensive production, IMO ZIds is less of a necessity than he was, and Fayne's obviously more reliable in the d zone.

yeah but in the past Lou has seen a young player step in and step up enough to warrant trading a vet

Zids is most likely gone either way after this season and we just have a glutton of D right now

if we're near playoff contention at the deadline I bet we keep Zids, but if we're way out...I think Lou moves Zid

Edited by The 29th Pick