Would This Ever Fly In The NHL?

TheMazz

NBAlulz.jpg

It appears that the NBA is now handing out red cards to unruly fans at games. Now as stereotypical as it is for the new owners to one day do something like this, my question isn't whether or not OUR owners would more or less start handing similar versions of these out. Rather, would these things fly in the NHL at all? To me, fans do the paying to be there, and last time I checked, fans also buy the merchandise and pay teams bills by showing support... Even if they want to shout a few obscenities, as long as they aren't physically hurting anyone or being too profane, derogatory, or downright stupid, why can't they express themselves vocally or with gestures at a game?

I expect lots of backlash from this. Especally in the off-chance a similar rule ever makes it's way into the NHL. It's just unwarranted policing IMO.

Edited by TheMazz

It appears that the NBA is now handing out red cards to unruly fans at games. Now as stereotypical as it is for the new owners to one day do something like this, my question isn't whether or not OUR owners would more or less start handing similar versions of these out. Rather, would these things fly in the NHL at all? To me, fans do the paying to be there, and last time I checked, fans also buy the merchandise and pay teams bills by showing support... Even if they want to shout a few obscenities, as long as they aren't physically hurting anyone or being too profane, derogatory, or downright stupid, why can't they express themselves vocally or with gestures at a game?

I expect lots of backlash from this. Especally in the off-chance a similar rule ever makes it's way into the NHL. It's just unwarranted policing IMO.

This is going to be the issue, right here. Who decides what is TOO profane, derogatory, stupid, etc? More than likely, the answer will be the people who own and operate the buildings.

I doubt they hand these out after you just curse once, so let's not exaggerate there. The person was probably being excessive and that card was warranted.

This is going to be the issue, right here. Who decides what is TOO profane, derogatory, stupid, etc? More than likely, the answer will be the people who own and operate the buildings.

And right now their code of conduct basically says it's one strike and you are out. This at least gives you a warning.

I do think, the big difference here however is how much closer you are to players when you sit at a basketball game then at a hockey game. Hockey players can actually curse on-ice. NBA players can't curse on court because the fans would hear.

Still it all depends when ushers or whoever issues these little things decide that "line" has been crossed. If it's slurs and hate speech then...OK understandable. But if you hand it out for something like jeering other players or the opposing team then that's too much.

Edited by TheMazz

They were going to do this, but deemed it too costly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE3oczJ1zgM

Ya think? It's unfortunate but fans need to realize they don't own their teams, and the people/person who does has a right to establish certain rules of acceptable behavior in their building.

Sorry that might have been a little too sarcastic but the bottom line is fans have a choice- you pay for the product and follow the rules or you save your money to spend it elsewhere.

Fandom is really interesting in that it sometimes blinds people to the reality of the situation- it's a business and they are a paying customer, not a part of the team.

fvck that. I paid for my ticket, I'll heckle any player or coach I want. This society, it just gets more PC and pussified by the day, I can't take it.

just playing devils advocate but on that ticket it specifically states the fan code of conduct which you agree to follow when purchasing.

fvck that. I paid for my ticket, I'll heckle any player or coach I want. This society, it just gets more PC and pussified by the day, I can't take it.

Ah ah, you used two questionable words there.  I'm going to have to report this post to a moderator, hopefully he sends you a severe warning.  Tsk tsk, what if a child read this post?

:argh:

Translation of this card:   Those of you in the "entitlement crowd" who feel it's my RIGHT to do what I want, when I want, even if it's at the expense of other fans....GTFO.  

I'd give these out to everyone doing the stupid Rangers/Flyers/Crosby chant.  Actually, they should just eject them without a warning.

Edited by Z-Man

Translation of this card:   Those of you in the "entitlement crowd" who feel it's my RIGHT to do what I want, when I want, even if it's at the expense of other fans....GTFO.  

I'd give these out to everyone doing the stupid Rangers/Flyers/Crosby chant.  Actually, they should just eject them without a warning.

Ugh, the "entitlement crowd", really? It's a freaking sporting event, deal with it. Loud boisterous and offensive atmospheres have been a staple of sporting events since the goddamn Roman gladiators, put on your earmuffs or get a luxury suite if it offends you.

Edited by DJ Eco

Ugh, the "entitlement crowd", really? It's a freaking sporting event, deal with it. Loud boisterous and offensive atmospheres have been a staple of sporting events since the goddamn Roman gladiators, put on your earmuffs or get a luxury suite if it offends you.

Loud and boisterous, yes.  I (and many others) don't want to deal with the drunk loudmouth sitting behind be dropping f-bombs all night.

Tell ya what, I'll come with you to a movie and talk through the whole thing, maybe even use my cell phone.  Because I paid for my ticket, I'll do what I want.  It doesn't say on the ticket "no talking," and it's not ruining MY experience.

Loud and boisterous, yes.  I (and many others) don't want to deal with the drunk loudmouth sitting behind be dropping f-bombs all night.

Tell ya what, I'll come with you to a movie and talk through the whole thing, maybe even use my cell phone.  Because I paid for my ticket, I'll do what I want.  It doesn't say on the ticket "no talking," and it's not ruining MY experience.

It actually clearly tells you on the pre-preview video to not use your cell phone or talk or disturb the people around you, at just about every movie theater since the 50s.

if you went to the grocery store and started yelling obscenities at potatoes, would you expect store management to put a stop to it?

Yeah yeah I know you'll say it's different at a sporting event but the truth is both are public places and a certain level of decorum should be required in both.

I'm not advocating for a silent arena where everyone sits on their hands, but just cuz you pay for the ticket doesn't give you free reign to do or say what you want, and it says that on the ticket when you buy it.

It actually clearly tells you on the pre-preview video to not use your cell phone or talk or disturb the people around you, at just about every movie theater since the 50s.

So then you agree that we should then be adhearing to the code of conduct that is both printed on every ticket and announced before every period then?

I will add, it's up to everybody's discretion. If you bring your kids to the game, it's more than socially acceptable to ask the drunk kids in the row behind you to tone down the language. I don't think I've ever seen one person put in that situation who reacted unreasonably to a request like that. The drunkest most offensive people even respect a parent asking them nicely to tone it down. None of this tattle tale, text the usher, talk to security, bullcrap.

Screw them.  That's not in writing on the ticket, I do what I want. 

Same with the ticket for a sporting event.  I paid my $80, I'll curse, flip off fans, taunt, fight, and make the experience miserable for everyone else.

Hey everyone, let's do a chant about a team swallowing!!!  WE'RE AWESOME!!!!

So then you agree that we should then be adhearing to the code of conduct that is both printed on every ticket and announced before every period then?

Technically, you CAN get (and people have gotten) thrown out for yelling the F-bomb all night. I'm addressing the later part in his post where he would kick out "Rangers suck! Flyers swallow!" chanters because it offends him. Talk about entitled.

I have to say that I have had my experience partially ruined at a game due to other fans being too obnoxious, but I wouldn't like anything like this. It sets a dangerous precedent. Then you have to ask, "what's next?".

No booing the players, cause it hurts their feelings?

Don't chat players names, it is demeaning and/or puts too much stress on them to preform at a certain level

No heckling Marty/Henrik chants

Never make eye contact with a player, coach, or referee

Lameness. These are professional sporting events, not toddlers in tiaras.