Would This Ever Fly In The NHL?

TheMazz

And I am not trying to bust your chops here, but I have seen people ask others to keep it down as well and the response they get is the guy either giving them the finger, threatening to beat them up, or at best ignore the request even with children.

Well that's just unreasonable and inexcusable and I don't think anyone's arguing that this is somehow okay (even though Z-Man pretty much thinks that's what I'm saying).

And look, no one's saying we need a completely PC crowd. Swearing is ok, if used in moderation and is tailored to the area you are sitting in. If there's like 50 kids around you, there's no need for 1000 f bombs. If you're in the nose bleeds and there isn't a kid to be seen, maybe be a bit more liberal with the usage, but still, doesn't need to so over the top that you sound like a little kid who just learned a dirty word. There is a middle ground.

I completely agree with this, this is more or less what I'm saying all along.

It's people like Z-Man, who is presumably an adult, who I take issue with. People who want the Gestapo to take guys away who are swearing and chanting inappropriate things, zero-tolerance.

I don't think anyone's advocating that it's always acceptable to use foul language, I'm definitely not. I don't think anyone's saying it's perfectly fine to curse in front of kids, I'm definitely not saying that.

Wow. If everyone used common sense (something obviously foreign to you), there wouldn't be a NEED to police the language. You honestly couldn't figure that one out by yourself?

Feel free to keep responding, the wires just aren't connecting for you. I can't be bothered any more.

Common sense doesn't automatically = "absolutely zero cursing or inappropriate behavior", they are not one or the same, they are very different. There could be a ton of common sense going around with you still hearing the words and the chants that annoy you so much, as long as you're not with a minor.

Edited by DJ Eco

This is always such a tough argument. I can't stand people who go to a game for the sole purpose of getting drunk and cursing and acting like morons. If you can't be a normal human being, stay home.... But on the other hand, the snobby, holier-than-thou attitude of the people on the other side of the argument is so over the top. It's one rung below "i'm a better person than you so I get to decide what's ok".

Devils Pride 26 has it right. You can't pretend you can stop all of the naughty words of 16000 other people. You need to understand that's part of a sporting event, however, people should also have the responsibility to know their surroundings, realize that they are in a public place, and try to act accordingly.

Having said that, I must add that heckling players, coaches, and the dirty evil cheating refs is every fan's god given right, and can be done quite creatively without having to drop f-bombs.

• Like 2

Lol at this thread... It's pretty clear most everyone is on the same page here. I don't think anyone, including Z man is advocating for automatic ejections after one curse, just some curtesy to other fans and youngsters.

Which brings me back on topic- the card is essentially one free pass for the nba fan to realize "whoops, I screwed up, and people around me are bothered by it." If anything it's good for everyone because it avoids confrontation between fans and allows the unruly one to realize he/she needs to calm down a bit.

From Devils Pride 26:

It's about being smart. Going to sporting events is like a rite of passage. I remember being 5-6 and hearing foul language. It's the nature of the beast. You hear things, you learn about it, and if you have good parents they'll tell you not to repeat things you hear or you'll get a spanking (if we really want to get heated, this is a good argument).

Now being a 20 something on the other side of the coin, there's a responsibility not to look like a fycking moron in the place. I always take a good look around during the game making sure there aren't kids around. When they are, you try and set an example and keep it respectful. F bombs I front of children are just classless. I'll heckle teams and players , part of that is the fun of being at the arena. But people need to use common sense. I wouldn't want to be swearing up a storm in front of CRs daughter or anything but I don't think any parent brings a child to game without expecting to hear some foul language. Morale of the story: use some fvcking common sense

This is always such a tough argument. I can't stand people who go to a game for the sole purpose of getting drunk and cursing and acting like morons. If you can't be a normal human being, stay home.... But on the other hand, the snobby, holier-than-thou attitude of the people on the other side of the argument is so over the top. It's one rung below "i'm a better person than you so I get to decide what's ok".

Devils Pride 26 has it right. You can't pretend you can stop all of the naughty words of 16000 other people. You need to understand that's part of a sporting event, however, people should also have the responsibility to know their surroundings, realize that they are in a public place, and try to act accordingly.

Having said that, I must add that heckling players, coaches, and the dirty evil cheating refs is every fan's god given right, and can be done quite creatively without having to drop f-bombs.

Pretty much agree with you two (no shock in the case of DD56, as me and him seem to be of like minds of just about everything Devil-related). 

I've always said I don't expect the world to sanitize itself in my daughter's presence...when I take her to a Devils game, she will hear bad words, see drunk people (some of which will act like a$$holes), might even see fans fist-fighting.  I've always taken the approach that it's not necessarily on the rest of the world to snap to attention and clean up their acts because my child is in their presence...rather, I explain to her why it's not really in her best interests to follow their leads.  I can hope that people won't be letting f-bombs fly left and right when it's obvious that she can clearly hear them, but I don't ever bank on it, and like I said in another post, I go to games to watch the games, not to confront people on their behavior.

Re:  the card, I'm guessing the people who wind up getting them are probably going over-the-top to get them...enough so that those around them start complaining.  Obviously everyone's tolerances vary on what is too much.  For me, it's someone who is cursing just for the sake of cursing and being endlessly obnoxious for the sake of being endlessly obnoxious.  Some random f-bombs and other four-letter frothings don't really bother me (I curse plenty myself, though like DP26 says, I do it using common sense).  The suck-swallow chant is more lame to me than anything else...not because it's foul...just because it's lame and not all that funny.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Oh look, this thread. AGAIN. fvck guys, this is such a beat to death topic, can we just NOT do this sh!t again. It's clear: There are some on one side, and some on the other. You people are literally bringing NOTHING new to the conversation. Those of us that wish to chant and be rowdy, do so until someone throws you out. Those of us who would rather sit there and do nothing all night, fine, power to you, go ahead.

Sidebar: Comparing a movie theatre and a grocery store to a sporting event. Hahaha I mean honestly, have we really gotten to that point

It's really the same two, three people who must make an entire arena feel how they feel. Everyone else I know likes or doesn't care about YS chant. And the same two, three anti YS people are now comparing sporting events to shouting at potatoes at the supermarket! Lmao I can't argue w them anymore, I give up lol

It's really the same two, three people who must make an entire arena feel how they feel. Everyone else I know likes or doesn't care about YS chant. And the same two, three anti YS people are now comparing sporting events to shouting at potatoes at the supermarket! Lmao I can't argue w them anymore, I give up lol

If I wanna yell at the damned potatoes, so help me god, I'm gonna yell at the damned potatoes. I don't who those potatoes think they are, staring at me like that.

• Like 1

If I wanna yell at the damned potatoes, so help me god, I'm gonna yell at the damned potatoes. I don't who those potatoes think they are, staring at me like that.

fvck those potatoes and the bags they sacked in on!

• Like 1

if you went to the grocery store and started yelling obscenities at potatoes, would you expect store management to put a stop to it?

Yeah yeah I know you'll say it's different at a sporting event but the truth is both are public places and a certain level of decorum should be required in both.

I'm not advocating for a silent arena where everyone sits on their hands, but just cuz you pay for the ticket doesn't give you free reign to do or say what you want, and it says that on the ticket when you buy it.

Being a 20-year season ticket holder doesn't give you free reign either. Sat near a guy like this constantly shouting and berating the (Devils!) players during the game and it was unbelievably annoying. He was like the real-life version of one of the trolls on this board who only make negative posts. (I would not be surprised if it turned out this guy is actually one of the trolls on this board.) It was a huge relief when he left halfway through the game.

Entitlement is the exact right word for this situation. Your ticket entitles you to watch the game, no more. It doesn't entitle you to act however you want in the arena to the detriment of other fans' experience.

Every person I've ever been to a Devils game with who didn't know about the YS chant in advance has thought it was classless and stupid. Including my dad, who is a former season ticket holder. There are way more than just 2 or 3 anti-YS people.

Edited by David Puddy

I don't appreciate your support of potato rape.

You are right, potatoes have feelings too, and not all of them have thick skins. 

And I am not trying to bust your chops here, but I have seen people ask others to keep it down as well and the response they get is the guy either giving them the finger, threatening to beat them up, or at best ignore the request even with children.

That goes without saying. Every team is always going to have their share of drunken mouth breathing fans. There's no possible way to eliminate that.

I will add, it's up to everybody's discretion. If you bring your kids to the game, it's more than socially acceptable to ask the drunk kids in the row behind you to tone down the language. I don't think I've ever seen one person put in that situation who reacted unreasonably to a request like that. The drunkest most offensive people even respect a parent asking them nicely to tone it down. None of this tattle tale, text the usher, talk to security, bullcrap.

This, it amazes me how afraid people are to confront someone when place in a situation like this, yet they'll sit there and complain all night and sulk about a ruined night. I've literally watched it happen. The only time I'll ever involve security or anyone else is once I at least ask the person to cut the crap. Don't know why everyone doesn't do the same.

I know I do, every chance I get.  I mean, look at em..all smug like, thinking they're better than regular potatoes..they're not, I tell ya!

Look, sweet potatoes, with the way they look at night, they ask for it, how is one not supposed to rape potatoes when they look like that.....DAMMIT, I broke my rule.