GDT: NJ Devils @ Blue Jackets - 7pm

Colin226

Tim sestito has to get that fvcking puck deep, he cannot be on the ice with two minutes left in a tie game what the fvck

yup, that led to the garbage at the other end. we could have easily contained there for a bit. instead we lose possession and the jackets get numbers and set up deep

I just find it hard to believe that Lou would dictate that Marty continue to get more playing time at the expense of everything and everyone else.  Pete WAS ready to go with Cory earlier this season...hopefully he is now.  I don't know what more he could possibly need to see.   

I do think it is a Marty/Lou/Pete a group decision re: Marty's playing time.  But lets look at your statement if Lou isn't involved with the Marty's playing decision then he should be all over Pete and he isn't. How do I know this because Pete keeps doing the same thing regarding Marty's playing time while Marty is having a bad set of games lately.

Edited by LucifersDog

I cant add much that hasnt been said. Obviously this was a rough loss and Marty played poorly. Perhaps the silver lining is that if Brunner gets going and Ryder stays hot, we might actually score 3 or 4 goals per game for a stretch. That needs to be good enough to win games.

Edit: I am a big supporter of PDB and I think lots of his detractors don't understand how to manage a team with anything other than fire and brimstone...BUT, having the Sestito line on the ice with less than 2 minutes is pretty inexcusable. Even if all of the guys who should have been out there were gassed, he could have used his TO.

Edited by NLinfante

DeBoer is the coach.  DeBoer has given a player who is younger and better, and is playing like it.  It's on DeBoer to do the right thing, and play the friggin' guy who gives him and his team the BEST fvckING CHANCE TO WIN THE DAMNED GAME!  God-damn...   

Well, judging by his comments regarding Janssen, he feels he can give out playing time to guys that give the team a lesser chance to win because this isn't a shortened season.

The issue is that the Devils have won games with Brodeur and in net and haven't with Schneider and that's the problem.  The offensive gulf between the two is even more stark - the Devils have scored 8 goals in Brodeur's last 2 games.  I think Schneider might've been in net for 8 goals in 2 games, once.  My guess is that there are a myriad of dumb reasons Brodeur got this start - A: Schneider had probably his worst game of the season against Columbus B: Columbus isn't a very good team so Brodeur could regain his confidence against them, maybe C: Brodeur 'felt good, and he asked for it'

Schneider was injured for what, 3 games?  So really take that away and they're even in games played.  The problem is they shouldn't be close.

The issue is that the Devils have won games with Brodeur and in net and haven't with Schneider and that's the problem.  The offensive gulf between the two is even more stark - the Devils have scored 8 goals in Brodeur's last 2 games.  I think Schneider might've been in net for 8 goals in 2 games, once.  My guess is that there are a myriad of dumb reasons Brodeur got this start - A: Schneider had probably his worst game of the season against Columbus B: Columbus isn't a very good team so Brodeur could regain his confidence against them, maybe C: Brodeur 'felt good, and he asked for it'

Schneider was injured for what, 3 games?  So really take that away and they're even in games played.  The problem is they shouldn't be close.

The win with Brodeur thing was true earlier, but it's not now (they've lost five out their last six Brodeur starts), and the Devils going 7-1 in an 8-game stretch of Marty's starts had everything to do with Marty giving up just 11 goals over that time frame (and finding a way to win the two games where Marty gave up 3 goals).  I would think that if Schneider went on a similar run, the Devils would find ways to win games for him eventually.  I think the difference in goal support has everything to do with luck more than anything else, but Cory hasn't yet gotten the extended run to prove that.  

In bold:  yep.  Like it's been pointed out, Marty getting hot and Cory getting hurt played a factor, but by now, Cory should've gotten at least 60% of the starts.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

on a good note, bouch has added a nice spark which fills out the top 3 lines. debo has some workable combos. need to IR volch again and get carter and larsson back

What exactly was wrong with Larsson? Maybe I'm paranoid(I am), but every game he sits out, the more concerned I become that they might trade him for a forward.

What exactly was wrong with Larsson? Maybe I'm paranoid(I am), but every game he sits out, the more concerned I become that they might trade him for a forward.

I'd be more upset if the return is not good, by the look of our young dmen i'd give up Larsson for a few young forwards. We really but really need to balance our future.

Boy it's always good to wait 12 hours to let the steam die off before posting lol. Lots of angry posters last night.

Some positives to take: hopefully our offense is starting to spark a little. Now back to back games with 4 goals. Ryder is finally earning his paycheck this past week, and hopefully brunners goal propels him moving forward. If we regularly score 3 or more goals we should be in good shape.

Obviously the negative was brodeur, along with gelinas and Merrill showing a few warts, but it's to be expected. Hopefully Pete takes this as an opportunity to position Cory as the regular starter moving forward, but with all the back to backs that might be hard.

What's pissing me off are these wasted opportunities to pick up points. It's not like we're the Rangers last night who are just getting beat, we are winning in so many of these games it seems and just get rolled. It's ridiculous.

I'm sick of Marty, he looked so out of control last night, and Pete just needs to play him.

I'm done with it. Marty should play 2 games the rest of the month, Ottawa and the Islanders. The rest should go to Cory. He gives us the best chance to win. We need a goalie who stops the puck, I know Pete is in love with Marty's stick handling ability especially with the younger defensemen out there but enough is enough. We need Cory to make the stops.

But that's the problem, there are a ton of back to backs here, and we know that goalies play worse on back to backs.  (Incidentally, Brodeur shows no signs of this during his career, probably part of why he played so many of them).  The problem is that the pressure is on Schneider to win against Pittsburgh, otherwise we could see Brodeur again against Ottawa.  I think Schneider should get one set of these back to backs if they play an easy game on the first one, but other than that, they got Schneider so they'd have an option on these.

Edited by Triumph

Since when do they trade injured players?

They don't, thus why I said I'm probably paranoid. Just a bit of a conspiracy theory since I still think LL moves one of the D for a pick or help on offense and it seems like Sal too has also been out forever and a day with that stress fracture. Just seems odd to me, but could also be logically and reasonably explained as we don't NEED them back, so let them get back to 110%.

But that's the problem, there are a ton of back to backs here, and we know that goalies play worse on back to backs.  (Incidentally, Brodeur shows no signs of this during his career, probably part of why he played so many of them).  The problem is that the pressure is on Schneider to win against Pittsburgh, otherwise we could see Brodeur again against Ottawa.  I think Schneider should get one set of these back to backs if they play an easy game on the first one, but other than that, they got Schneider so they'd have an option on these.

My issue is had Cory be in net last night and won...not to say we could throw a game away on a Marty start, but we need wins. Cory gives us the best chance.

He has had a week off, let him play Fri/Sat. Then a week off, then Fri/Sat. Or hell play Marty against Anaheim, and Cory against Ottawa.

For the rest of the month.

Cory against, Pit/Tb

Cory against Ott

Marty against Anaheim

Cory against Washington

Cory against Chicago

Cory against Columbus

Marty on the Island

Cory against Pitt

We need to have the best chance to win, and Pete is out of his mind if thinks Marty gives that.

Why do people think that Lou doesn't get into the decisions to play Marty. Lou sees what is happening. He be telling Pete to play Schneider but that's not happening so it shows Lou is involved daily with the goal tender decisions. After all  with this type of play they are losing fans in the seats Lou has a responsibility for attendance.

From HF:

Peter DeBoer's Practice Schedule

12:00-13:00 - Giving Up Leads (Focus on 3rd Period Collapses)
13:00-14:00 - 4th Line PK Drills/1-3rd Line Bench Practice
14:00-14:30 - Shooting Wide Drills
14:30-15:00 - Break (Someone Remember to Feed Josefson)
15:00-17:00 - Dumping The Puck
17:00-17:30 - Crossing the Blue Line and Stopping Dead
17:30-18:00 - Break (Check Josefson Vital Signs)
18:00-19:00 - Failed Pass Receptions (Ensure All Eggs Broken)
19:00-20:00 - Shootout Practice (Goaltender Optional, Probably Doesnt Matter)
20:00-21:00 - More 4th Line PK.
21:00-04:00 - Jagr Individual Practice
04:00-Sleep - Cry Yourself To Sleep and Try Not To have Nightlemaires

From HF:

Peter DeBoer's Practice Schedule

12:00-13:00 - Giving Up Leads (Focus on 3rd Period Collapses)

13:00-14:00 - 4th Line PK Drills/1-3rd Line Bench Practice

14:00-14:30 - Shooting Wide Drills

14:30-15:00 - Break (Someone Remember to Feed Josefson)

15:00-17:00 - Dumping The Puck

17:00-17:30 - Crossing the Blue Line and Stopping Dead

17:30-18:00 - Break (Check Josefson Vital Signs)

18:00-19:00 - Failed Pass Receptions (Ensure All Eggs Broken)

19:00-20:00 - Shootout Practice (Goaltender Optional, Probably Doesnt Matter)

20:00-21:00 - More 4th Line PK.

21:00-04:00 - Jagr Individual Practice

04:00-Sleep - Cry Yourself To Sleep and Try Not To have Nightlemaires

This is great...some of it probably sadly true